Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week two

Last week I read Slaughter House 5, which was a very strange book.

This week I am working on At Home- A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson. It is very interesting and I am learning so much!

I plan to alternate between fiction and non-fiction books this year. I have been making a list of some of the books people are recommending- it's getting pretty long!

My 7 yr old daughter is doing the challenge with me. Last week she read The Princesses of Bamarre (by the same author who wrote Ella Enchanted) and absolutely loved it. This week she is reading The Little Princess, which was one of my favorite books as a child. I will be crushed is she doesn't love the book too!

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still finishing 1000 Gifts on Kindle (non fiction) I really like this. So often, books about thanking God seem to be written by people who haven't had all that much pain in their lives. It's fairly easy to say God is Good when good things are what are happening to you. It's so so hard to say God is Good when it's pain and loss that you are experiencing. Not only does Ann Voskamp talk about this problem, she lives this problem. I was drawn to the book because she has had such a difficult journey and struggles. Her writing is very poetic and soothing.

I have begun The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet: A Novel (fiction) http://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Autumns-Jacob-Zoet-Novel/dp/1400065453/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294757628&sr=8-1

I finished Our Town and When Bad Christian Happen to Good People last week, which were on my list. I also read Math Coach, which wasn't on my list.

I'm reading a few books slowly for our ancient's study, so I did a few chapters in those: Heroes of the City of Man and Words of Delight. I'm also reading a section or two of Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers each day during breaks in schooling.

This week, I'm part way through the three Theban plays, though I have a new translation coming in the mail today and may start over with it. I'm also reading How to Read Literature Like a Professor, which has been on my shelf for quite a while unread.

This week I am working on At Home- A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson. It is very interesting and I am learning so much!

Adding that to my wish list!

On the shelf for this week Otto of the Silver Hand by Howard Pyle and Watership Down by Adams

I loved Watership Down. Great political commentary by bunnies. It doesn't get much better than that.

I'm still reading Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. Oh the angst! It's interesting and I'm halfway through.

I read this last year and was glad I finished it, even though life slowed me down halfway through. It does spoil your appetite, though, and I find it hard to read anything poorly written since then. :D

I was looking forward to your review! This book sounds right up my alley!! But talk about a let down. I found out my library had this book and I scooted joyfully off to check it out only to find it not on the shelf. No one has checked it out since 2007.:glare: So I will have to find it elsewhere.

Oh, no! Does your library do interlibray loans? That might be an option.

Well, this last week+ I've been really doing a vegging-out, fluff reading. Since last Saturday I've read the 3 City Of Bones books and the 2 Fallen books (Fallen and Torment). I'm not sure why I read them. They were "okay" but not great or even really good. I think I enjoyed just gobbling books that didn't require any brain muscles. :) My husband had just read them and recommended them to me if I were in the mood.

Here's my list I've constructed of Christmas gift books, books on our shelves I haven't ever read and books I know I've wanted to read. I'm not limiiting the list to 52. I'm making a buffet of books for me to choose from so I don't finish a book and think, "Hmm...I just don't have anything to read." :)

I'm currently reading "What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew".

At Home, Bryson

What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew

Escape From The Land of Snows

Looking For the King

I'm Number Four

X * *City Of Bones

X * *City of Ashes

X * *City of Glass

Annotated Pride and Prejudice

Buddhism, Plain and Simple

The Help

Katherine*

The Host

Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey

Peter and the Starcatchers 4

Joel Osteen - Your Best Life Now

A Briefer History of Time

X * *Fallen

X * *Torment

Animal Farm

Autobiography of Mark Twain

Scarlet Letter

Brave New World

To Kill a Mockingbird

Watership Down

Sense and Sensibility

Mansfield Park

Emma

Northanger Abbey

Slaughterhouse Five

Story of the Ancient World

Story of the Medieval World

Camel Club (Baldacci)

No Second Chance (Coben)

Saving Faith (Baldacci)

Witch & Wizard

Mornings on Horseback

Time and Again (Finney)

Fallen 1, 2, 3

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Robinson Crusoe

The Last of the Mohicans

Little Women

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Count of Monte Cristo

Anna Karenina

Farmer Giles of Ham (Tolkien)

Misquoting Jesus

Marathon (Winokur)

Macbeth

Life of Pi

Blink

The Once and Future King

The Virtue of Selfishness

The God Delusion

Phantom of the Opera

Still plugging away slowly on Anna Karenina. Took a break and read ebook Secrets of the Demon (#3 in series) by Diana Rowland.

We have a few folks who are participating outside the wtm group. We have a lone gentleman, Keith, who blogged excellent reviews every single week and meet the 52 books goal. He just posted his wrap up post and I'd appreciate it if a few of you would drop by. He's going to try again for 2011.

Which reminds me. I have a list of participants listed in the sidebar of the 52 books blog. Please check and make sure I got your blogs listed. If you don't see it there, let me know so I can add it.

I decided to join in last week.

I read My Name is Mary Sutter. It's the book club book at our library. I really enjoyed it. A midwife who lived in Albany, NY right before the Civil War who wants to become a surgeon. It was a great read. And I love books about medical things.

This week I picked up The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet after reading it on someone else's post last night. Plan on starting that today.

Making my wish list so I can pick something each week. If I could I would read all day every day instead of dealing with life!!

Okay, I've come around again for week 2, how did it get here so fast?

My official title that will be finished before week's end is How Not to Look Old by Charla Krupp. Not my usual genre but I saw it mentioned on another thread, and with the grays coming in faster these days I figured it couldn't hurt to take a peek. I am getting some good tips, but I will never be one for the "high maintenance" category of youthful intervention. I did buy some new lipstick, though!

I am also starting in on How to Be Your Own Selfish Pig by Susan Schaeffer MacCauley and Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson. Reading aloud The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe, which I should complete before the 14th, but I've read it so many times I can hardly feel honorable counting it. Maybe if I find myself in a pinch in week 3.... Still not committing, though! :lol:

Hmmmm...well I just finished reading Journey to the Center of the Earth. I read the 1877 translation which is actually called Journey to the Interior of the Earth for some reason. I suppose because we are snowbound at the moment I needed a good adventure story. Now I can't decide whether to read The Year 1000 to prep for history or chose a 19th century novel to listen to on the ipod while I cross stitch.... I know which one sounds more appealing! :D

I'm reading Long May She Reign by Ellen Emerson White. It is the 4th and last of the President's Daughter series. I read the first 3 last week, and this one is 700 pages so I'm taking my time. I LOVE these, and I'm a very hard to please fiction reader! I wish I could find a list of books for people who love this series...

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Reign-Ellen-Emerson-White/dp/0312367678

Similar from a PTSD/recovery/heroine attitude standpoint:

The Road Home by the same author.

The Tomorrow, When The War Began series by John Marsden

The Hunger Games trilogy

From a West Wing standpoint, I don't know. Meg Cabot has a series about the daughter of a president, but I think it's less serious and don't know how it compares.

This week I'm still working on Decision Points by George Bush. (very good so far!)

I'm well into Surprised by Joy - C.S. Lewis (over halfway through and it's pretty sad, hoping to get to the 'joy' soon)

and getting started on My Reading Life - Pat Conroy. I love Pat Conroy and have high hopes for this latest book.

I just finished reading The Hunger Games. I loved it. Did anyone else keep thinking of the movie The Running Man as they read it?

I'm reading a book called 29 Gifts, which is about committing to giving some gift to someone every day for 29 days. It's not a bad concept, but I think perhaps it doesn't work as well for a mom, or a homeschooling mom, unless you are going to put different parameters on what the nature of the gift ought to be. The author uses such simple examples (although, I'll grant you, she's childless and has MS), it wouldn't take much thought to easily meet that goal without even trying. If I were going to apply the 29 gifts challenge to my own life, I would say the "rule" is that it has to be something outside of the norm and not a gift to my husband or kids. So, if I met a friend who needed cheering for coffee, that would count. But if I read an extra story for ds, that wouldn't count.

I just finished The Swiss Family Robinson. I'm surprised that I liked it as much as I did. It gave me a new goal in life--to learn a little bit about everything in case I ever find myself on a deserted island.:lol:

For the next few weeks I plan to switch between 2 books if I can stomach them: The Federalist Papers and Unformed and Unfilled. I am reading U and U because my DH and I do not agree on how the earth was created, so I promised I would research all of the theories and this is the first book that came into the library.

I'm sure I will intersperse these with a fluff book just to give my brain a rest.:tongue_smilie:

I just finished reading The Hunger Games. I loved it. Did anyone else keep thinking of the movie The Running Man as they read it?

Yes, definitely. I saw The Running Man many years ago, but also read the short story by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman). Very similar concept! Both enjoyable stories (well, you know what I mean by "enjoyable" lol...maybe entertaining would have been a better word).

I'm reading a book called 29 Gifts, which is about committing to giving some gift to someone every day for 29 days. I would say the "rule" is that it has to be something outside of the norm and not a gift to my husband or kids. So, if I met a friend who needed cheering for coffee, that would count. But if I read an extra story for ds, that wouldn't count.

I think it should.

There's that saying "Everyone wants to save the world, but no one wants to help Mum with the dishes." Wouldn't want to reverse that to "Everyone wants to save the world, but no one wants to read another story to Junior." Good deeds count no matter who is receiving.

:)

Rosie- not that I have unlimited patience in story-reading. I'm being theoretical not personal!

Edited by Rosie_0801

I have liked the first two Girl books, but the violence is a bit much for my sensitivities, and I have to wait awhile to read the next one! lol!

The last book in the Girl w/Dragon Tattoo series is the least violent.

Finishing Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet tonight. I loved it! It's set in Seattle and is about the evacuation of Japanese Americans during WWII. The hatred and racism they and the Chinese and African Americans faced at that time was something I had not thought about or studied much. I was overwhelmed with sadness for those people. The author really was able to find the worst in people (the bitter) but also the best (the sweet). I highly recommend this book!

I often wonder if I should read this or not. Thank you for the helpful review. :)

I also read Michael Pollan's Food Rules (a short book so I am not counting it) and really recommend it if you are having trouble with wading through the masses of conflicting dietary advice out there.

I LOVE this book. :D

I'm reading Pride and Prejudice for the first time this week.

My absolute favorite classic. The A&E/BBC version with Colin Firth is done wonderfully and well worth seeing after the book.

Also, I've been jumping around in Malcolm Gladwell's latest, What the Dog Saw.

I plan on reading this soon. My dh has read it already.

This week I've been reading Rick Steves Paris Book.

Also, just started, but don't know if I like it yet or not A Great Deliverance.

a-great-deliverance-elizabeth-george-digital-cover-art.jpg

I think it should.

There's that saying "Everyone wants to save the world, but no one wants to help Mum with the dishes." Wouldn't want to reverse that to "Everyone wants to save the world, but no one wants to read another story to Junior." Good deeds count no matter who is receiving.

Well, that's a good point, it's just that that seems too easy. For my family, I can give about 24 acts of kindness before breakfast, barely trying. ;) The sweet little author of the book - bless her heart - talks about really digging down deep and giving $20 in the offering at church. :001_huh: And she gives .72 in change to a homeless man, citing that they haven't been rolling in dough themselves...then, she talks about her $90 bra. :001_huh: I didn't even know there were $90 bras, except maybe for Paris Hilton. If I had a $90 bra, I'd like to think I was accustomed to doing a little better for the homeless man and the offering plate at church. But - whatever - a gift is a gift, just sounds like she hasn't challenged herself much in the gift department before her 29 Gift challenge.

Well, that's a good point, it's just that that seems too easy. For my family, I can give about 24 acts of kindness before breakfast, barely trying. ;)

Yeah, but inside the house there are the acts of kindness that are part of the job, and there are Acts of Kindness that go beyond the call of duty. It's nice to read a story to your child, but it's Really Putting In Effort on your part to read the wretched book a fifth time in one sitting! A fifth re-reading of Dr Seuss is going beyond the call of duty, in my opinion. I'm glad my kids don't know about Dr Seuss yet. I'm still not over reading to my younger brother, and he's in his mid 20's. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

It's nice to read a story to your child, but it's Really Putting In Effort on your part to read the wretched book a fifth time in one sitting! A fifth re-reading of Dr Seuss is going beyond the call of duty, in my opinion. I'm glad my kids don't know about Dr Seuss yet.

:lol::lol::lol: Too true! I had "Fox in Socks," but I think I torched it!

"When the TweedleBeetles Battle with their paddles in a puddle and the puddle's in a bottle and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles..." :willy_nilly:

Well, that's a good point, it's just that that seems too easy. For my family, I can give about 24 acts of kindness before breakfast, barely trying. ;) The sweet little author of the book - bless her heart - talks about really digging down deep and giving $20 in the offering at church. :001_huh: And she gives .72 in change to a homeless man, citing that they haven't been rolling in dough themselves...then, she talks about her $90 bra. :001_huh: I didn't even know there were $90 bras, except maybe for Paris Hilton. If I had a $90 bra, I'd like to think I was accustomed to doing a little better for the homeless man and the offering plate at church. But - whatever - a gift is a gift, just sounds like she hasn't challenged herself much in the gift department before her 29 Gift challenge.

I'm glad you said this. The $90 bra thing makes me think this book would probably not be worth reading. :glare:

I made a New Year's resolution to do one thing per week this year that is over-the-top for someone else. My requirement is that it must take at least a few hours of my time and make me feel awkward. I'm trying to challenge myself to step outside my comfort zone in thinking I can just do nice little things for others and count it done.

I started Crazy Love last week, but then I received notice that one of my holds came into the library. So, instead I'm nearly done The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks which was recommended on here. I am loving it; it's utterly fascinating!

I'm already falling behind though.:001_unsure:

I'm reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I'm loving it - it's been on my shelf for over a year, I don't know why I didn't pick it up until now.

I got a head start on my reading this year by powering through The Hunger Games trilogy in the first week. I will make it to 52 this year!

Oh, I LOVE A Tree Grows in Brooklyn!

The Hunger Games were great reads too!

I just finished The Swiss Family Robinson.

I'm reading this aloud to the boys. It's not an easy read aloud.

I finished The Five Love Languages of Children.

Want to hear my exciting news? I signed up for the Winter Adult Reading Club at my library. They draw a name each month for a prize, and I won December's drawing. :D I won a $25 gift certificate to a local grocery store. I'm so buying chocolate!

Edited by Kleine Hexe

Since January 1, 2011, I have read:

Book 1: Fireflies in December by Jennifer Erin Valent

Book 2: The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Book 3: Crazy Love by Francis Chan

Book 4: The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton

Did you like Fireflies in December? I got that free on my Kindle and was considering reading it soon.

WOW! I am impressed with all the great reading you all have done! My list of "wanna-reads" is growing quite long from these threads! :D

I haven't done any *heavy* reading - too much going on right now. However, I am glad to say that we finally read two books that we have read as family reading for many years now during the Christmas season. We are admittedly a little late this year, but we read them this past week and enjoyed them as always.

#1 - Raphael, The Herald Angel, by David Appel and Merle Hudson

#2 - The Hired Man's Christmas, by George Givens

I also completed last week the following book. I have been wanting to read this book for years. I am sorry to say that I was somewhat disappointed. The writing itself was good and her inclusion of advice for helping others as well as yourself added to the book. What got to me was that it seemed like so many of her admittedly poor decisions were either made in extreme haste or made in a controlling way; in other words, she pushed adamantly for what she thought was best or what she wanted, and sometimes for what appeared to be selfish reasons (when it involved others in her family). I don't mean this to sound judgmental; I would think most of us are guilty of these things from time to time; our *good intentions* go awry. I guess I saw most of her difficulties as self-imposed (as opposed to the unexpected hard things of life) and it detracted from the whole book. I have a great deal of respect for her parents and their ministry, and for her brother Franklin's work, so it was really hard for me to realize I thought *poorly* of her book. On the flip side, her theology was encouraging and I came away with renewed vigor to keep on persevering through all that life has, and continues, to throw at us.

#3 - In Every Pew Sits a Broken Heart, by Ruth Graham

This week, I am reading fluff and enjoying it!

#4 - Women's Intuition, by Lisa Samson

ooh, that annoys me, too!

Can you put in a request anyway? Maybe they'll find it or replace it.

Yeah, they put a hold on it for me and are doing a special search. If they find it, they'll let me know. If not, and they decide to reorder it, they'll let me know. But since no one has missed it since 2007, I'm not holding my breath. I can get it from PBS or even the larger local library system in the next town, so it's no big deal. Just annoying.

I have been to the blog, and I want to participate, but I don't quite get the posting. Do I start a book on Sunday, and then post it later in the week when I am finished? Or do I post on the Sunday what I read the past week? I am sure I am over thinking this. Maybe my brain is fried from figuring out Latin declensions and history timelines with my children!:tongue_smilie:
All I'm doing is posting my review of what I read last week in this weekly thread. Like "last week I finished _________. I thought it was ________________. This week I plan to read _____________________." Then next Sunday I will post what I thought about that book and mention what's up next. I think I'm doing it right!;)

I think it should.

:)

Rosie- not that I have unlimited patience in story-reading. I'm being theoretical not personal!

Rosie,

As usual, you have hit the nail on the head! Succinct, commonsense, wise.

so I have more than one to report. I read Island of the World by Michael O'Brien and listened to Sense and Sensability on audiobooks. I have also finished Pride and Prejudice (but am holding on to that one for next week if I do not complete another :001_smile:)

I am going to re-read The Core as I am praying through directorship in CC.

Loving this challenge and the accountability! Also, love all the book suggestions!

Thanks!

Want to hear my exciting news? I signed up for the Winter Adult Reading Club at my library. They draw a name each month for a prize, and I won December's drawing. I won a $25 gift certificate to a local grocery store. I'm so buying chocolate!

Yay, you! :hurray: And, you're right about SFR. I had to read that for literature when I was 10 or 11 and I remember just being continually baffled!

I have been to the blog, and I want to participate, but I don't quite get the posting. Do I start a book on Sunday, and then post it later in the week when I am finished? Or do I post on the Sunday what I read the past week? I am sure I am over thinking this. Maybe my brain is fried from figuring out Latin declensions and history timelines with my children!:tongue_smilie:

Our books weeks start on Sunday. Every Sunday I'll be putting up a new post with Mr. linky. You don't have to start a book on sunday. you can start a book anytime you want. There are no hard and fast rules. Mr linky is for everyone (who wants to) to post to their most current reads. I won't be leaving mr linky open on all the posts. As one week ends, the old mr linky is closed and a new mr linky is put up on the current post. Clear as mud, I know. Instead of having a book 1, book 2, book 3, and everyone having to search numerous links, this is easier. You don't have to link to your blog, you can just talk about it here if you choose.

Be sure to check out folks reviews and thoughts about the books each week. Some are not WTM'ers and are reading interesting books. And some are WTMer's and talking about the books here as well.

The Goal is 52 books - how you get there is up to you. Think that is going to be my new motto. :)

:lol::lol::lol: Too true! I had "Fox in Socks," but I think I torched it!

"When the TweedleBeetles Battle with their paddles in a puddle and the puddle's in a bottle and the bottle's on a poodle and the poodle's eating noodles..." :willy_nilly:

Oh Mercy! We still have this one and it is torture to read, although you end up laughing as you read it, when your tongue gets twisted.

Well, this last week+ I've been really doing a vegging-out, fluff reading. Since last Saturday I've read the 3 City Of Bones books and the 2 Fallen books (Fallen and Torment). I'm not sure why I read them. They were "okay" but not great or even really good. I think I enjoyed just gobbling books that didn't require any brain muscles. :) My husband had just read them and recommended them to me if I were in the mood.

Here's my list I've constructed of Christmas gift books, books on our shelves I haven't ever read and books I know I've wanted to read. I'm not limiiting the list to 52. I'm making a buffet of books for me to choose from so I don't finish a book and think, "Hmm...I just don't have anything to read." :)

I'm currently reading "What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew".

At Home, Bryson

What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew

Escape From The Land of Snows

Looking For the King

I'm Number Four

X * *City Of Bones

X * *City of Ashes

X * *City of Glass

Annotated Pride and Prejudice

Buddhism, Plain and Simple

The Help

Katherine*

The Host

Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey

Peter and the Starcatchers 4

Joel Osteen - Your Best Life Now

A Briefer History of Time

X * *Fallen

X * *Torment

Animal Farm

Autobiography of Mark Twain

Scarlet Letter

Brave New World

To Kill a Mockingbird

Watership Down

Sense and Sensibility

Mansfield Park

Emma

Northanger Abbey

Slaughterhouse Five

Story of the Ancient World

Story of the Medieval World

Camel Club (Baldacci)

No Second Chance (Coben)

Saving Faith (Baldacci)

Witch & Wizard

Mornings on Horseback

Time and Again (Finney)

Fallen 1, 2, 3

Uncle Tom's Cabin

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Robinson Crusoe

The Last of the Mohicans

Little Women

Journey to the Center of the Earth

Count of Monte Cristo

Anna Karenina

Farmer Giles of Ham (Tolkien)

Misquoting Jesus

Marathon (Winokur)

Macbeth

Life of Pi

Blink

The Once and Future King

The Virtue of Selfishness

The God Delusion

Phantom of the Opera

That's quite a buffet and all yummy. I really have to look into Phantom of the Opera. I loved the movie.

so I have more than one to report. I read Island of the World by Michael O'Brien and listened to Sense and Sensibility on audiobooks. I have also finished Pride and Prejudice (but am holding on to that one for next week if I do not complete another :001_smile:)

I am going to re-read The Core as I am praying through directorship in CC.

Loving this challenge and the accountability! Also' date=' love all the book suggestions!

Thanks![/quote']

Glad you are enjoying the challenge. What did you think of O'Brien's Island of the World? I started Sophia's House a while back, but never finished it. Probably need to revisit it.

Sorry for the multiple posts but it's hard to keep track. There are so many of you. I'm not complaining. Very Happy!