Menu

Do certain prescrption medications interfere with absorbtion of certain nutrients?

We discussed gluten intolerance and celiac yesterday. But I did not realize that certain medications can inhibit absorbtion of nutrients/vitamins.

I have been on Librax since 2007 as well as Effexor XR.

I have read that Librax contains both a Benzo, plus an anti-spasmodic, and reduces acid in the stomach.(I take this for IBS). I read that medications that reduce stomach acid cannot absorb nutrients or vitamins as well.

I have also read that SSRI's can inhibit absorbtion as well.

My problems did not start until after staring these medications in 2007.(vitamin deficincies, such as my anemia and angular chellitis)

I am also on a beta-blocker as well. I didn't start this until last year.

Is there any truth to this?

I'm not familiar with that drug (or the SSRI effect either) but certainly anything that reduces stomach acid will reduce certain nutrient absorption. Iron and, along the line, b12 for example.

So will certain bacterias and parasites too that can be underlying causes of IBS...and were for my son.

Okay. I looked up Librax and what it does, and it says this:

Librax treats

irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), stomach ulcers and intestinal inflammation. It contains two drugs: an anticholinergic and a benzodiazepine. According to the Mayo Clinic, anticholinergics, "relieve cramps or spasms of the stomach, intestines and bladder." Benzodiazepines slow down the central nervous system, which reduces anxiety. Together these medications provide relief by relaxing stomach and intestinal muscles, decreasing intestinal muscle spasms and reducing the amount of stomach acid.

So now I am wondering it this is part of the cause. It also includes a Benzo, which is an anxiety medication called Librium.

I have read this on Benzo's/Beta Blockers/HBP medications all of which I am on as well:

from http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/nutrientdepl.html

Commonly Prescribed Drugs that Can Cause Nutritional Deficiencies

• Oral contraceptives (birth control pills)
  • Estrogen replacement therapy
  • Anticonvulsants
  • Anti-diabetes
  • Anti-hypertensive (blood pressure lowering)
  • Anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen, aspirin)
  • Anti-ulcer and Heartburn drugs (H2 blockers such as Prilosec, Nexium)
  • Cholesterol-lowering drugs
  • Beta-blockers
  • Phenothiazines
  • Tricyclic antidepressants
  • Benzodiazepines
  • Antibiotics

Hmmmm.................

• 2 weeks later...

This is the info I found.

Doctors aren’t always savvy about drug, food, and nutrition interactions. Pharmacists frequently have access to an up-to-the-minute database that tells them which substances combine well together and which can cause problems. You need to know whether or not the nutrients you’re taking could cause complications, or could thin your blood too much, particularly if you’re scheduled for surgery.

It’s vital to talk with several people in your health-care team – your pharmacist, physician, and any practitioners of complementary medicine, to look carefully at the actions and interactions of everything you’re taking. You or they can also consult the new “Physicians’ Desk Reference for Nutritional Supplements”, an excellent up-to-date reference on the actions and adverse reactions of hundreds of nutrients.

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/altmed/altmed-a-z.aspx

--

Here are some common drug interactions—as well as potential benefits—when taken with herbs and other supplements or even certain foods:

Anticonvulsant drugs (like Carbatrol, Depakote, Dilantin, Mysoline, Tegretol) may react negatively with ginkgo, glutamine, grapefruit juice, nicotinamide (a compound produced when the body breaks down vitamin B3, or niacin), sedative herbs (kava, hops, passionflower, valerian), St. John’s wort, vitamin A, and white willow (an herbal analgesic). But carnitine and vitamin D may be useful for people taking these drugs.

Benzodiazepines (anti-anxiety and sedative drugs like Ativan, Halcion, Klonopin, Librium, Serax, Valium, Xanax) can interact with grapefruit juice and sedative herbs (kava, hops, passionflower, valerian), while melatonin (a natural hormone that regulates sleep) may be beneficial.

Corticosteroids (anti-inflammatory and immunosuppressive meds like Articocort, Celestone, Decadron, Hydrocortone, Nasacort) are not recommended with the herb licorice (if taken internally), but calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D supplementation can help prevent bone loss due to these drugs. And topical use of aloe and licorice appears to enhance the effects of hydrocortisone cream.

Heparin (a very strong blood thinner) is not recommended with garlic, ginkgo, phosphatidylserine, policosanol, vitamin C, or white willow, but because this drug can interfere with vitamin D in the body, you may need to supplement this “sunshine” vitamin.

NSAIDs (pain-relieving anti-inflammatories including aspirin, Bufferin, Cope, ibuprofen (like Midol, Motrin), naproxen, and Cox-2 inhibitors may react negatively with arginine (an amino acid found in dairy, fish, poultry, and meats), feverfew, garlic, ginkgo, policosanol, potassium citrate, St. John’s wort, vitamin E, and white willow. But cayenne, folate, licorice, and vitamin C supplementation may be useful.

Statins (popular drugs like Lipitor, Mevacor, Pravachol, Zocor for lowering cholesterol) are not recommended to use with grapefruit juice, niacin, or red yeast rice (an herbal cholesterol-lowering therapy), but anyone taking statins also needs CoQ10 for energy production and normal heart function.

Tamoxifen (an anti-estrogen drug used in treating breast cancer) may have its beneficial effects enhanced by the omega-6 fatty acid GLA.

Thyroid hormones (like Armour Thyroid, Choloxin, Euthroid, Synthroid) should not be taken at the same time as calcium or iron supplements, and soy may interfere with the absorption of these meds.

Warfarin (a somewhat dangerous anticoagulent drug) is not recommended for use with alfalfa supplements, Asian ginseng, devil’s claw, digestive enzymes (bromelain and papain), dong quai, feverfew, garlic, ginger, ginkgo, green tea, policosanol, St. John’s wort, vinpocetine, vitamins A, C, E, K, or white willow.

Obviously, you need to tell your healthcare provider about any supplements you take regularly—and don’t be afraid to explain why. Even more important, ask about any potential adverse effects and interactions for all medicines he or she prescribes. It’s never a bad idea to ask your friendly, local pharmacist about interactions, either. Often these professionals are very knowledgeable on the ill effects of drugs.

Look up a drug interaction checker on the internet. This will allow you to input all medications that you take and then it will tell you any interactions that there may be between the meds. According to mine I should be able to walk, talk and breath but I have been taking them for a long time and the one major problem that I do have is the side effect of a particular class of meds that I can't do away with. It is not caused by an interaction of meds. Anyhow, I double check mine frequently just to make sure that nothing has changed.