Menu

oven mitts

what kind do you use? or do you use potholders or something else? I had a pair of silicone oven mitts, but a couple of weeks ago the right hand one (the one I use most) had a hole in it and I burned the palm of my hand using it (found out about the hole the hard way).

I still have the left hand one, but I really would prefer having one for my right hand again- it's very helpful when lifting heavy things out of the oven.

I used to just use the cloth ones, but I didn't like how they'd get too thin after washing them. I was browsing the silicone ones at Amazon, and there are so many different styles. The one I have is kind of long- it goes about 1/3 of the way up my forearm.

what kind do you use? or do you use potholders or something else? I had a pair of silicone oven mitts, but a couple of weeks ago the right hand one (the one I use most) had a hole in it and I burned the palm of my hand using it (found out about the hole the hard way).

I still have the left hand one, but I really would prefer having one for my right hand again- it's very helpful when lifting heavy things out of the oven.

I used to just use the cloth ones, but I didn't like how they'd get too thin after washing them. I was browsing the silicone ones at Amazon, and there are so many different styles. The one I have is kind of long- it goes about 1/3 of the way up my forearm.

I use the long silicone mitt like you described for one hand and for the other hand, I have one similar to these. Mine aren't exactly the same but I can't get them to come up on amazon. I like having one of each size and have had them for as long as I can remember without having any problems.

I like the small ones because they're easy to slip on and off, but the longer one gives me protection if I have to reach my arm into the oven.

I use potholders. And I never wash them, so they never get thin. :D They're really ugly, but they work!

Yes. The caked-on food just adds to the cushioning, right? :D

I use those mitts with the silver on them. I'd like to get silicone, but I just can't wrap my mind around that it doesn't melt.

I use potholders. Oven mitts that have extra protection on them are usually for the right hand. I'm a leftie. I do wash my potholders when they get to the point that I can't stand them. When they wear out, I go to the thrift shop for more. Often I can find new or nearly new ones there.

I thought about making some, but then read I should use insulated batting. It doesn't seem cost effective, so I'll continue to use my thrift shop potholders, replacing them when they get too thin.

I use potholders. Oven mitts that have extra protection on them are usually for the right hand. I'm a leftie. I do wash my potholders when they get to the point that I can't stand them. When they wear out, I go to the thrift shop for more. Often I can find new or nearly new ones there.

I thought about making some, but then read I should use insulated batting. It doesn't seem cost effective, so I'll continue to use my thrift shop potholders, replacing them when they get too thin.

Oooh, now I have to look up insulated batting. I've been using kitchen towels to replace my oven mitt these past couple of weeks when I need to use both hands.

My favorite hot pads for takings items out of the oven are my felted wool ones I cut from a sweater I felted. They wash and work wonderfully. I haven't burned myself yet. Next time I can find more cheap wool sweaters (probably next summer) I am going to make http://auntekristy.blogspot.com/2010/09/free-felted-oven-mitt-pattern.html . The pattern is available for printing on another blog post.

My favorite hot pads for takings items out of the oven are my felted wool ones I cut from a sweater I felted. They wash and work wonderfully. I haven't burned myself yet. Next time I can find more cheap wool sweaters (probably next summer) I am going to make http://auntekristy.blogspot.com/2010/09/free-felted-oven-mitt-pattern.html . The pattern is available for printing on another blog post.

Oooh, those look perfect! Thank you so much for sharing this! Now I have to start looking for wool sweaters.

Could you felt the sweaters first and then cut out the pattern pieces? I've never felted anything before.

Oooh, those look perfect! Thank you so much for sharing this! Now I have to start looking for wool sweaters.

Could you felt the sweaters first and then cut out the pattern pieces? I've never felted anything before.

When I made mine a few weeks ago, I felted down the sweaters first and then cut to fit my hand. Mine are not very pretty because I was experimenting first though. If you use her pattern though don't felt first. Her pattern prints huge on 2 sheets of paper to allow for shrinkage. Make sure you have 100% wool for it to work right. And large sweaters - like men's sizes. I find it just fascinating how small those sweaters can shrink in the wash.