Menu

A chance to 'fess up - who else washes the bedsheets. . .

and puts them right back on just so they won't have to try to fold them? :D

I can fold a fitted sheet very carefully but it still looks as if I just balled it up. I've found it's much easier to just take them out of the dryer and put them right back on the bed.

Pegasus

Well, I can fold a fitted sheet without any problem, but it's just less work to wash then put right back on. The only problem is when it's bedtime and you realize you forgot to put the sheets in the dryer. Oh, and you only have one set because you always wash then put them right back on the bed. Yeah, that's happened a few times.

Well, I can fold a fitted sheet without any problem,

Are you available to provide tutoring?!? :bigear:

We have several sets of sheets because DH tends to pick them up when he finds them on sale. We love to use the flannel sheets in the winter but the regular sheets in the summer so I do have to make a switch as the seasons change.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses this little shortcut (as I listen for the dryer to buzz so I can get our bed made!)

Pegasus

I do the same thing. Wash them then put them right back on the bed. We all do that here at our house. We do have 3 extra sheet set and that is it. There are 5 of us so that is 4 beds. The extra sheets are for accidents that may happen (it hasn't happened for about 5 years so not sure why I am holding on to the extra sets)

Holly

I can fold a fitted sheet very carefully but it still looks as if I just balled it up. I've found it's much easier to just take them out of the dryer and put them right back on the bed.

Pegasus

Is there any other way?

:D

There's a very small window when I could take the sheets off the bed and get them washed between dh getting out and me getting in. So no, or I'd be waiting for the dryer buzzer weekly.

I fold the fitted sheets without a problem- one skill my mother taught me well. I remember Martha Stuart having a video about this... off to see if it's still available.:auto:

Here is the Martha one, from an Oprah show. However, when I do it, I put all four corners together first. I find that to be easier, and then I don't need to lay the sheet down.

Edited by JoyfulMama

I have always done my sheets this way and never realized it was something to "confess" to. To me it always seemed obvious -- wash them, put them back on. Why would I do it any other way? I've never owned a second set of sheets. Why would I need more clutter in the closet??

I guess that's not the norm??

Another household with only one set of sheets per bed. I just never saw a reason for more than one set per bed. Just more thing to fold and put away and have a place for. Not to mention the cheapest fitted sheet (not sheet sets, just the fitted) for my California King size bed was $30! And I had to hunt for that one!

Just wanted to add ... the other thing I do is on "Sheet Day," the second my feet hit the floor, I strip the bed, and put the sheets in the wash either right before or right after my shower. So I have no problem getting the beds re-made by around lunchtime.

That's what I do, too. I get it done and out of my mind! It seems a waste of my time and energy to fold sheets.

So I'm the only one who doesn't? If I did, I wouldn't get into bed until midnight since I'm always forgetting to put things in the dryer. We have 2 sets for each bed and the new one goes on as soon as the old one is off.

This is what we do. Sheets stay newer longer if you rotate them, just like shoes or anything else.

I learned to fold fitted sheets from Martha Stewart. When they are folded in my linen closet, you can't tell them from the flat sheets without opening them up. http://www.marthastewart.com/article/how-to-fold-a-fitted-sheet

I do wash them and put them back on the bed, but not because I don't know how to fold them. I'm actually quite good at folding fitted sheets! :D But, I only have one set of winter/flannel sheets, and one set of summer/percale sheets, and I don't see any reason to have more. It's easy enough to wash and dry them, and put them back on the bed. I have all day to get it done! :)

This is what we do. Sheets stay newer longer if you rotate them, just like shoes or anything else.

I learned to fold fitted sheets from Martha Stewart. When they are folded in my linen closet, you can't tell them from the flat sheets without opening them up. http://www.marthastewart.com/article/how-to-fold-a-fitted-sheet

Why would sheets stay longer if you rotate them? They would last twice as long linearly (is that a word? oh well, I like it) because you aren't using them but half the time, but the per use time would be the same. I count a sheet's age based on per use. (Well, not really; but 2 sets alternated would last the same as 2 sets not alternated.) If you really want to save your new sheets, just don't wash them as often. That is where they are worn out.

I prefer my sheets to be washed and put straight on the bed. They smell better that way!

I often put them straight back on the bed, but I also learned how to fold a fitted sheet really neatly. There was a sitcom on years and years ago where there was a "normal" family and then a "perfect" family - wife called Barb, and husband Ken ;-) Barb (of course) knew how to fold a fitted sheet, and I was just so excited to know it could be done, and figured it out. Dh thought I was a little nuts, but also wasn't too surprised by that.... I also saw how to do it properly on Oprah once.

Here is the Martha one, from an Oprah show. However, when I do it, I put all four corners together first. I find that to be easier, and then I don't need to lay the sheet down.

I rarely ever watched the Oprah show, but I caught this one when my oldest was a toddler and learned to fold fitted sheets. We have two sheets for each bed here. Accidents happen. I prefer not to count the number of nights, I've changed someone's sheets around 1am for one reason or another.

I don't...that would mean I'd have to actually keep track of my laundry and never forget it, which just isn't going to happen. If we get to bedtime and there are no sheets on the kids beds, very bad things might happen, like my head exploding. ;)

I do usually make dh fold the sheets, though. I CAN do it...but he does a much better job. :glare: :lol:

That's what I do. I used to have multiple sheet sets, but they took up too much room in my nearly-nonexistent linen closet. I purged and now have one extra set of sheets for each bed, just for emergencies (like our puke-o-rama two days before Christmas this year).

:iagree:

That's what I do because I only have one set of sheets that I like. If they wear out, I am going to be up a creek trying to find a set of sheets that I like. (King size, extra long, extra wide, just the right texture of fabric--I like the more slippery texture vs flannel or hospital cotton).

I have four sets of sheets, two for winter and two for summer. Generally speaking, I do just wash them and put them back on the bed. I have a spare in case we need a change in the middle of the night or if I forget to move the laundry then at least I have another set.

Edited by KidsHappen