Menu

PSA: Downton Abbey on Masterpiece Classic tonight!

Oh, and this is sad -- the British version ran for eight hours total. The Masterpiece Theatre version has been cut to six hours. The producers didn't think that American viewers have the attention span to deal with Edwardian/British details, so they slashed it. How rude! I read an article about it in the Daily Mail very recently.

The Amazon DVD is advertised as the unedited original British version. I hope that's true.

Oh, and this is sad -- the British version ran for eight hours total. The Masterpiece Theatre version has been cut to six hours. The producers didn't think that American viewers have the attention span to deal with Edwardian/British details, so they slashed it. How rude! I read an article about it in the Daily Mail very recently.

The Amazon DVD is advertised as the unedited original British version. I hope that's true.

Grrrr. That's lame. I hope when it goes up on streaming Netflix (BBC productions usually do) it'll be the full 8 hours.

OK, this is good. One of the participants in the thread Stripe linked (Bond Fan '62) stated that the original UK version is 368 minutes.

The Masterpiece Theatre version is 330 minutes and is dumbed down a bit (the part about the will's codicil is removed, and there is a narrator who explains about what's going on to the audience).

Thank you, Stripe!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I watched this tonight and fell in love with it. I will definitely be ordering from amazon today so I can see the 'entire' show!!!