Menu

Things to learn before tackling Calculus

I couldn't think of a better way to word the title - so there it is.

In August, I will begin Calculus. I'm curious as to what things you or your child wished they had worked on more, or memorized, before tackling Calculus.

Being Public Schooled through 10th grade, there are a lot of things I see on the K-8 board that we never did in elementary school. I never memorized the multiplication table or drilled or things along those lines. Everything was taught genetically. It makes me wonder what I've missed that might be helpful for Calculus.

I am not math-inclined, and I never noticed this until I skipped Pre-Algebra and was thrown into Algebra in 8th grade. That was my first ''C'' ever received in math, and it is now that I realize I was never math-inclined, I just got good grades for doing homework, assigned work in class, and being a teacher's pet.

What would you suggest to prepare myself for Calculus. I am not ''struggling'' in Precalc, but not really grasping it either. I don't really care for the ''why'' of Math, just ''how'' do I get there. Maybe that is a problem within itself.

Would you recommend a light review of Algebra (not cutting into school time, just ''after schooling?")

Would you recommend going back over Precalc every few weeks and drilling? (I'm using MUS at the moment, but do have a Lial's text I could use for review)?

I am even pondering whether I should use Lial's as the main and MUS as the supplement because it is almost impossible to do it the other way around.

Suggestions are appreciated and sorry this got so long.

Thanks,

Stephanie :)

Edited by BeatleMania

I am not ''struggling'' in Precalc, but not really grasping it either. I don't really care for the ''why'' of Math, just ''how'' do I get there. Maybe that is a problem within itself.

Stephanie :)

Well there are plenty of students who have survived Calculus by focusing on the "how" and not the "why", but for me that would be drudgery.

Precalculus means just that. In a Pre-Calc course, one should be exposed to many of the algebraic and trigonometric tools necessary for success in a Calculus class. The bottom line is that those who have a comfort level with the algebraic tools can focus on Calculus. Those with inadequate algebraic or trig skills must constantly fill in the gaps while striving to move forward. It is not impossible to do this, just much harder.

What Calculus curriculum will you be using?

Well there are plenty of students who have survived Calculus by focusing on the "how" and not the "why", but for me that would be drudgery.

Precalculus means just that. In a Pre-Calc course, one should be exposed to many of the algebraic and trigonometric tools necessary for success in a Calculus class. The bottom line is that those who have a comfort level with the algebraic tools can focus on Calculus. Those with inadequate algebraic or trig skills must constantly fill in the gaps while striving to move forward. It is not impossible to do this, just much harder.

What Calculus curriculum will you be using?

Considering LoF with Lial's as a back-up/review

Your question is a good one. I know that different math programs seem to cover some different things in "pre-calc", so I did some googling. Here's a site - ignore the title at the top of the page :lol: - which lists concepts which should be covered before calculus.

http://library.thinkquest.org/20991/calc/index.html

Click on pre-calculus concepts for the list. I hope that helps. :)

Your question is a good one. I know that different math programs seem to cover some different things in "pre-calc"' date=' so I did some googling. Here's a site - ignore the title at the top of the page :lol: - which lists concepts which should be covered before calculus.

http://library.thinkquest.org/20991/calc/index.html

Click on pre-calculus concepts for the list. I hope that helps. :)[/quote']

Thank you for the site! I actually find the title quite amusing :lol:

Stephanie, I am in the same position as you right now but with algebra instead of pre-calc. Like you, I am not math inclined but get really good grades after I understand it. Lial's has worked very well for me in algebra, and I am doing the whole book along with geometry because I never grasped algebra 1. Now that I am working through it I understand algebra 1 so much better, and I am making all A's instead of B's or C's.

I would reccommend reviewing algebra, geometry, and algebra 2, and taking practice tests to see where you stand. It's a big pain going back and trying to find the gaps, but once you do it's like all new door open up and you will finally be able to understand math.

From someone who knows part of what you are going through, lol.:lol: