Menu

Facebook Question

I committed FB suicide a year ago. I have no intention of using FB again. HOWEVER, there is a contest that I would like to enter that requires a FB account to do so. It has been such a long time since I've been on FB; I don't know all ins and outs anymore. Is it possible to create a "minimal" account that is only visible for a contest, but invisible for others to find me? I just don't want to get sucked in and I hate the lack of privacy.

Yes. You may set it to private in your privacy settings.

:iagree:

I remember testing your account for you (to make sure it was gone). Was that a year ago already? :D

I too think you'd be able to have a minimal account. Set yourself up as invisible (choose "Only me" in custom settings) as much as you can, don't accept any friendship requests*, don't upload any photos or make any posts. I think you'd be fine.

* This would be the biggest thing, I think. If you don't have any friends and you have everything set up to "only me" it's going to be pretty hard to find you.

How much information is required on this Facebook account for the contest? You could create an extremely minimal Facebook account, with just your name, hide any other personal information, not put up a profile picture, not post anything, hide yourself from public search, and delete the account once the contest was over. :)

But would the contest require being able to "see" you? What contest do you want to enter that is good enough to rethink your decision? :tongue_smilie: You don't have to answer that, I'm being silly. But the first question is one to ponder, I think.

Very good point. Didn't think of that. It does require people voting on an entry photo.

Edited by BikeBookBread

I have a FB account with no pictures or personal information and no friends. Mainly it is so my dds can play Happy Pets :)

I occasionally will visit a FB page for something similar to what you are asking...I will "like" the page and later go back and "unlike" it.

Question: Once you have a facebook account, what is the best way to go about deleting it, to leave minimal information behind? This may sound elementary, but is just deleting good enough, considering I could log back in at any time and have the same friends and status that I left? I keep contemplating cancelling FB.

Question: Once you have a facebook account, what is the best way to go about deleting it, to leave minimal information behind? This may sound elementary, but is just deleting good enough, considering I could log back in at any time and have the same friends and status that I left? I keep contemplating cancelling FB.

I thought when you deleted your account that it was gone and you couldn't get it back...?