Menu

Just curious; what is your LEAST favorite chore?

What is your LEAST favorite chore?  

1. 1. What is your LEAST favorite chore?

• Dishes
    • Ironing
    • Sweeping/mopping floors
    • vacuuming
    • grocery shopping/running errands
    • dusting
    • laundry (cleaning/folding/putting away)
    • cleaning bathrooms
    • cleaning the kitchen
    • other (feel free to post what it is)

Other: COOKING is the worst thing in the world. I'm not sure it can be labeled a chore, but since I hate it so much I consider it to be a chore. I really don't mind all the other things listed, but I don't have a schedule for any of them so it's okay if I wait until I'm in the mood. :)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one that doesn't iron? I try not to buy dry clean clothes, too. I did recently purchase a fabric steamer for my guys since they like shirts now that need to be ironed. I taught them how to use it so I can let go of the mom guilt. lol

I own an iron but we never use it. I do not buy clothes that need ironing. DH's work attire, when he goes into the office which is only once a week, is a tshirt and jeans. I don't work in an office anymore. We have no where to wear ironed clothing! :D

Butchering is my least favorite chore. Second dislike is going to town. All the other chores I can live with.

Blessings,

Melinda

And this is why I enjoy these boards so much. Your least favorite chores doen't even exist in my world. :001_smile: We're all so different, I learn a lot here.

I hate general cleaning like finding a home for this and that, picking up random papers, putting away stuff that has accumulated on end tables and desks. If this didn't happen, I could live with the rest of it.

This. This is what I mean by decluttering. Putting things in their place all the time going through papers and mail and clearing off tables and the tops of bookcases and flat surfaces in general that tend to collect toys, books, papers etc. It makes me bonkers!!

You poor soul. If I end up in hell someday, my punishment will be to have my period 365 days a year and to iron button-down dress shirts all day, every day. I'm a total perfectionist, so they drive me insane. Every time you turn them, they get a new wrinkle in a place you just ironed, and you can never avoid ironing wrinkles into the placket or the edges of the collar or the stupid cuffs. DH insists on having his dry cleaned, because he says he likes them that way. I think he just doesn't want to have to live with the person I'd be if I had to iron his work shirts!
:lol: That would be pretty close to hell in my definition too. lol

(ETA: By the way, your signature always make me giggle a little :D There's a crazy Dominican guy living in our house too :lol:)

hehe They are a bit crazy aren't they? And tend to make everybody else crazy too. lol ;) :D:tongue_smilie:

Grocery shopping just has to be the most inefficient chore. First you have to select the items, the put them in a basket, then remove them from the basket at checkout, then put then in the car, then take them out of the car, then put them away. You handle the exact same thing too, too, too many times. It's such a waste of time and energy imo.

Mary

:lol: I have never really thought about it before, but you are absolutely right. Way too much handling of the same item. :)

Before the Mighty Purge of Aught Nine, I felt the same way. For about fifteen years, I felt like my primary role was simply to manage the inflow and outflow of things from my home. It was exasperating.

Now I can't stand the bathroom cleaning. Ironing I find relaxing. The other things can be done while listening to an audio book or watching Stargate on Hulu, but the bathroom, besides being gross, is so small, I hate going in there, can't hear the stereo well with the water running, can't watch Stargate.... It's awful.

Okay, I'm curious. What was the Mighty Purge of Aught Nine?? LOL on the Stargate. I only have ever seen the movie but I liked it. Is it a good show?

i hate...hate hate...doing dishes...and with 9 people...and no dishwasher...this job is never finished. ugh! i just hate even thinking about it.

:grouphug::grouphug: you get my vote for Sainthood. God bless you girl! I only have 4 in my house and before I got my dishwasher I would spend at least an hour or two cleaning the kitchen everyday. If I made a big meal or did a lot of food prep forget about it. I spent the whole day in the kitchen and my legs, feet and lower back would be killing me. I hope your dh gives you plenty of backrubs for all you do. :grouphug:

I really, really, really hate to grocery shop. It's awful with the kids and not much better alone. I hate having to move the groceries around so much....into the cart, onto the conveyor belt, into the car, out of the car, into the fridge and pantry.....ugh! And to top it off, I always end up cleaning out the fridge to either make room or because it seems to dirty to put new groceries in. I usually start complaining a few days prior to the shopping trip hoping my husband will offer to go:)

ETA: I didn't read the previous posts before responding! I see I'm not alone in the hatred of handling the same hundred items numerous times:)

I chose other because I really don't like most of it. I do enjoy grocery shopping and cooking some, but overall, I don't enjoy being a "housewife". I feel really badly about it, too. I do enjoy doing school with the kids, but I'd rather spend the rest of my time having fun with them and my dh. Thankfully he's not a complainer at all. None of us are neat/clean freaks, but I know I'd probably feel better if I did a better job.

During the summer break, I'm able to keep the house relatively clean, but during the school year, it just overwhelms me. I do have the kids help with laundry, dishes, and such, but I'm really bad about having lots of books, paperwork, and just stuff out all the time that no one but me would know what to do with.

I've tried different things to help me be more organized with the house, and it will work for a short time, but I always fall back into my old habits.

Right now, I'm going to try and use this site to help me. It seems very doable to me because it is so simple as far as the daily stuff. My plan is to try and clean everything really well this week so I can start with a clean slate, and start the actual plan next week. We will see.

Am I the only one that doesn't iron? I try not to buy dry clean clothes, too. I did recently purchase a fabric steamer for my guys since they like shirts now that need to be ironed. I taught them how to use it so I can let go of the mom guilt. lol

No ironing here either!! I don't buy myself clothes that require it. DH has shirts that need ironing for work. I just point him to the iron or suggest the dryer:tongue_smilie:

My thing I detest doing is sewing - mending dropped hems, replacing buttons etc. I usually con my husband into doing it. He's OK with that because he doesn't like cleaning the toilet and I do that daily, whereas he doesn't do sewing any more than once a fortnight.

I HATE HATE HATE all chores! Oh.. maybe cleaning the bathroom sink isn't too bad. But the rest of it - you can keep it. If I had the money, I'd employ a cleaner. Seriously.

Naturally, I put on the good mommy face and knuckle under.. heaven forbid the kids should learn to hate housework as much as I do! :lol:

Here, it's a tie between..

*grocery shopping if I have to take the kids with me...I HATE it !!!!!! At least it's a task I can usually find a way to do without them, by just going in the evening.

*making dinner...with the kids causing trouble and distracting me. :banghead: I dislike cooking in the first place, both DH and the kids are picky, and with behavior at the low point for the day, it is a truly miserable job for me. And I can't pass it off to DH because he doesn't get home early enough..and he comes home hungry and grouchy. I seriously prefer picking up dog poop to making dinner. It's that bad.

I cannot STAND laundry!!! It is the most thankless job ever!! I cam do just about any other chore and at least get to enjoy it as completed, except laundry. It is constant, and even as I'm doing it, it is getting undone! Very frustrating!

All housework is thankless - you keep having to do it again, and again, and again - :banghead: and you can see it being undone before your very eyes as soon as anyone uses anything!

I chose Cleaning the Kitchen, because it encompasses soooooooooo many jobs:

Dishes

Sweeping

mopping

It NEVER feels clean enough in my kitchen. Just the other day, I climbed up on a chair and saw the top of the fridge--eeeek! It's nasty up there! And while I was on the chair I saw the hood over the oven--Yikes!

There's just too much humidity and raw food and grease and splatters and traffic in a kitchen to feel like it's ever clean.

All housework is thankless - you keep having to do it again, and again, and again - :banghead: and you can see it being undone before your very eyes as soon as anyone uses anything!

:iagree::iagree: It really bothers me too. I sometimes get so depressed when I've just finished working for hours and got things spotless and it looks so nice. I'm standing there sweaty, dirty with a sore back and admiring how clean everything looks (especially the floors) I go upstairs to take a shower, come back down and it's already getting messy. :( Makes me want to cry.

:lol::iagree: I answered other because in looking at the list, I realized that I dislike them ALL! I really don't like doing housework. I wish I was one of those women who took pride in doing it. Don't get me wrong, it gets done, but I will procrastinate for as long as I can. :tongue_smilie:

Yep, my SIL is one who loves keeping house. She says that all she ever dreamed about was being a mom and housewife. I have to say that I'm a bit envious because she is great at what she does, and she enjoys doing it.

I don't mind ironing but since it is something I can avoid... I avoid it. I iron when I have to... when the de-wrinkle spray and dryer doesn't work good enough-LOL.

Generally only clothes that need creases do I iron. I guess I iron about once a month... my uniform for Civil Air Patrol and younger Ds's cubscout shirt. My kids are taught to do laundry young and usually are on their own by age 13.... includes ironing.

bathrooms, 4 males in the house, enough said

:iagree:

This is a second in line of what I hate doing the most in house work. Why can't males aim??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or at least... see that their aim is off and wipe the mess up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear a "miss the toilet" alarm is needed...

:iagree:

This is a second in line of what I hate doing the most in house work. Why can't males aim??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or at least... see that their aim is off and wipe the mess up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear a "miss the toilet" alarm is needed...

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I would do anything...a-n-y-t-h-i-n-g...other than dusting, which is why I have convinced my dc that it's the easiest job in the house. :tongue_smilie:

Hate it. Hate.it. (and I live in the high desert, which means I could conceivably dust every 3 hours and never be done :glare:)

:seeya: Hello that would be me. Don't iron unless it is a patch and don't like doing it then.

bathrooms, 4 males in the house, enough said

Totally understand :001_rolleyes: I voted bathrooms too

:lol::iagree: I answered other because in looking at the list, I realized that I dislike them ALL! I really don't like doing housework. I wish I was one of those women who took pride in doing it. Don't get me wrong, it gets done, but I will procrastinate for as long as I can. :tongue_smilie:

I was talking to a neighbor about cleaning and I said something about not liking to clean. She said "oh I love to clean! It is so therapeutic!" :blink: I told her come on over and she could gets lots of therapy at my house. ;)

Major protest here! Did I miss something? Cooking isn't on the list????

I hate to cook. I do it well. My food tastes great. But it takes up WAY too much time. I hate time spent in the kitchen when I could be doing countless other things!!

Hey, I can get in and get those dishes done and move on to something fun!

I can clean a bathroom... sanitarily, too... and have plenty of time to do something else that I'd like to do...

But... cooking... takes... too... much... time!!

I wish I liked to cook. Really.

I picked dishes, although it isn't that horrible. I don't mind loading the dishwasher but unloading I seem to procrastinate for some reason. I will be glad when I can hand that job over to ds!

Worst would be bathtubs though, especially the shower it is such a pain to clean that thing.

I do not iron. Dh's church clothes he has some that are the naturally wrinkle free, otherwise I try to hang them quick or they get spruced up in the dryer.

I don't dust much either and also try to keep rid of knickknacks necessitating the need to dust.

I generally like housekeeping though and I enjoy the challenge of it. Although, it is exasperating to see it destroyed so quickly. I have established a pretty fair routine and simplified at this point where things run fairly smooth with minimal effort.

While some of the things on the list are not exactly my favorites (like dishes or putting laundry away), the thing I dread the most is not on there, so I voted other.

I HATE filling up the gas tank. I'm always driving around with the gas light on, until I figure it's desperate, and then go fill the tank. This drives my husband absolutely insane, and if for some reason, he notices my tank is even half empty, he will go fill it, but he hardly ever drives my car, so it doesn't happen often.

I voted dishes, because that's my least favourite. But to be honest, I like doing chores :tongue_smilie: it just all depends on the amount of sleep I had.

Cleaning the bathroom, that's my favourite: I LOVE IT! it's so nice to step into a clean bathroom.

I put other because there are too many choices!!!

I hate grocery shopping, not because of the process but because of the time it takes away from other things.

And, the bathroom...while I don't mind scrubbing toilets and sinks, I just hate cleaning the doors of stall showers, especially the junk that builds up in the tracks. Ugghhh!!!

For me it is the tedium of tidying up over and over day in and day out every single freaking day.

:iagree: Exactly! Within a few hours, it is like you never did it. Just from where I am sitting I see a shoe (where is it's mate? :glare:), papers, a button, a toothbrush (not for people, just for stuffed hippos), toys, blanket, and trash. I just picked up this room last night! And, rather I pick it up myself or stay on top of the children while they do it, it is still frustrating work.