Menu

Just curious; what is your LEAST favorite chore?

What is your LEAST favorite chore?  

1. 1. What is your LEAST favorite chore?

• Dishes
    • Ironing
    • Sweeping/mopping floors
    • vacuuming
    • grocery shopping/running errands
    • dusting
    • laundry (cleaning/folding/putting away)
    • cleaning bathrooms
    • cleaning the kitchen
    • other (feel free to post what it is)

I'm gonna put up a poll, so be patient. :D

Mine is ironing. I will, in fact, spend my own spending money to take things to the cleaners sometimes JUST so I don't have to iron them myself. I'm not good at ironing, it takes forever, my back is killing me by the time I'm done, and I usually burn myself at least once. :tongue_smilie:

If your least favorite isn't listed, feel free to comment...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine wasn't listed but it's decluttering. I absolutely HATE it because it feels like it's constant and there is something about the activity that makes me want to fly to pieces. I'd rather scrub bathrooms or iron than declutter. But of course it's necessary and has to be done and makes all the other cleaning so much easier. :)

My absolute least favorite is cleaning the fridge.

But I should say that when my son was 6 he saw an iron and asked what it was for since he'd never seen one or seen it used. He thinks it's something you bring out for Cub Scout patches or the occasional craft regarding wax paper. :)

It's pretty close to a tie between dishes and folding / putting away laundry. But I guess if I had to choose one it would be dishes. I don't mind them so much if we have a good dishwasher but right now we have a really awful dishwasher so pretty much everything has to be washed by hand.

I don't iron anything. I try to purposely buy clothes that don't require ironing to look nice. But the once in a blue moon that I do iron, I hate it.

My absolute least favorite is cleaning the fridge.

But I should say that when my son was 6 he saw an iron and asked what it was for since he'd never seen one or seen it used. He thinks it's something you bring out for Cub Scout patches or the occasional craft regarding wax paper. :)

Ugh I have to do that today actually. In truth I should be doing it RIGHT NOW instead of being here on these message boards, but I'm building up the motivation to start the task. :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: I'd still rather clean the fridge than declutter though. :ack2: :D

I chose ironing, but it's really a toss-up between ironing and sweeping/washing floors. I love the look of a clean floor, nothing else makes me feel better! The house could be trashed but if the floors are clean I'm happy! I just find it a LOT of work to actually do it and it hurts my back.

I chose ironing, but it's really a toss-up between ironing and sweeping/washing floors. I love the look of a clean floor, nothing else makes me feel better! The house could be trashed but if the floors are clean I'm happy! I just find it a LOT of work to actually do it and it hurts my back.

I hear ya. It used to take me forever to clean my floors until I got a steam mop. That thing is a Godsend. It cuts the time in half if not more and they look just as good as when I washed and dried them by hand. :)

I must be weird because I love to iron! All that steam makes it feel so warm and cozy. I like doing laundry too.

I can't stand dishes though. They are dirty and stinky and make my hands all gross. Give me clean clothes to fold, mend and iron over that any day!

Do you want to move in with us?? I'll happily wash all of the dishes and let you fold and iron the clothes. :)

I hear ya. It used to take me forever to clean my floors until I got a steam mop. That thing is a Godsend. It cuts the time in half if not more and they look just as good as when I washed and dried them by hand. :)

What steam mop is this because I hate mopping?

Well, I'd have to say that ironing would be it, except that I only ever have to iron anything a few times a year. DH likes his shirts starched and pressed from the cleaner, and beyond that, if he needs something, he irons it himself!

So in terms of actual chores I need to do around here, it would be dusting. Not that I actually DO it, mind you. But it does NEED to be done. *sigh*

Am I the only one that doesn't iron? I try not to buy dry clean clothes, too. I did recently purchase a fabric steamer for my guys since they like shirts now that need to be ironed. I taught them how to use it so I can let go of the mom guilt. lol

So I answered before the poll was up that I despised washing dishes. Now that I see the list, I'm asking myself, "Is there anything I LIKE to do on this list?" For me, that is an easier question to answer. Sigh. I wish I liked housekeeping.

:lol::iagree: I answered other because in looking at the list, I realized that I dislike them ALL! I really don't like doing housework. I wish I was one of those women who took pride in doing it. Don't get me wrong, it gets done, but I will procrastinate for as long as I can. :tongue_smilie:

What steam mop is this because I hate mopping?

I have this one, although they're not showing the "mop" part in the picture. http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Ultra-Steam-Blaster-S3325/dp/B000BQSJVK/ref=sr_1_19?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1294605082&sr=1-19

The mop part looks like this. http://www.amazon.com/Shark-Floor-Steam-Pocket-SXL3501/dp/B0028MLENU/ref=sr_1_14?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1294605082&sr=1-14

Basically you just sweep your floors like you would before you mop, but then you just put water into the steam mop and let it heat up and then mop your floors with it. It gets them just as clean and it sanitizes the floor too and because it's steam, it dries right away so you don't have to use towels and it doesn't leave streaks which is a biggie for me because the tiles I have show every streak. I love it. I even take the mop head off and used the high pressure steam gun part to clean the tile grout which I can't do with a regular mop. :) HTH

Dishes. I didn't mind it back when I had a dishwasher (and at that time I only had 1 kid.) Now there are more of us and I don't have a dishwasher and the dishes just. never. end. And none of the kids are old enough to help.

I have a son who LOVES to dust, so that is my favorite chore! :D

I HATE cleaning the kitchen.....it seems to be a never ending dead end job.....it is NEVER clean. It drives me CRAZY!

I hate the bathrooms as well....but they aren't daily or as much time as that darned kitchen!

Mine is ironing. I will, in fact, spend my own spending money to take things to the cleaners sometimes JUST so I don't have to iron them myself. I'm not good at ironing, it takes forever, my back is killing me by the time I'm done, and I usually burn myself at least once. :tongue_smilie:

If your least favorite isn't listed, feel free to comment...

My least favourite chore is washing walls. But, yea! Lucky me! That's only a twice yearly chore. :glare:

Honestly, though I could have selected several of the ones you listed, as I don't particularly care for house chores in general. I do them because I'm a sick little neat freak, but I don't like them.

Am I the only one that doesn't iron? I try not to buy dry clean clothes, too. I did recently purchase a fabric steamer for my guys since they like shirts now that need to be ironed. I taught them how to use it so I can let go of the mom guilt. lol

Nope, no ironing here either. I generally only buy machine washable and dryable (driable? dry-able?) things, and mainly only in knit cotton. Partly because I have a sensory issue with synthetic fabrics (*shudder*), and partly because if you forget them in the dryer and they get all wrinkly, you just have to toss in a wet sock and re-fluff them and they're good as new! Let me tell you, it was a happy day in my world when I read that trick online somewhere :lol: I honestly can't remember the last time I ironed something.

Nope, no ironing here either. I generally only buy machine washable and dryable (driable? dry-able?) things, and mainly only in knit cotton. Partly because I have a sensory issue with synthetic fabrics (*shudder*), and partly because if you forget them in the dryer and they get all wrinkly, you just have to toss in a wet sock and re-fluff them and they're good as new! Let me tell you, it was a happy day in my world when I read that trick online somewhere :lol: I honestly can't remember the last time I ironed something.

Ay I wish I didn't have to iron. I am like you, I rarely wear anything that has to be ironed, but my husband likes all of his button down shirts and pants drip dried because he's really tall and they shrink (he likes natural fabrics too) so I ALWAYS have to iron his clothes. blech. I hate the button down cotton shirts. They take me forever! :ack2:

DISHES! (other than the ones I can just throw in the dishwasher!)

Fortunately dh prefers to wash dishes when we're cleaning up because he knows exactly what to do and doesn't have to keep asking me where to put stuff. He also mops and scrubs toilets!:D

I voted laundry, but really it's only the putting away part that I mind. I need to get my oldest at least to start putting his own away (my very oldest, DH, already does his own :)), but I have a sort of overly complicated system. I probably need to let the system go...

I also love clean floors and I don't mind doing the floors at all. I cannot stand to walk on a dirty floor. I love my hoover floor mate for the wood floors, my steam mop for the kitchen and bathrooms and my wet jet for all the little messes in-between.

I detest ironing and I don't do it. I am not good at it either.

I don't mind washing, drying, and folding laundry. But, I am horrible at putting it away. The laundry tends to stay folded in the baskets and never finish it's journey to the dressers :sad:.

Dishes are ok unless they have piled up or a wooden spoon has been discovered marinating in gunk at the bottom of the sink :ack2:.

I hate general cleaning like finding a home for this and that, picking up random papers, putting away stuff that has accumulated on end tables and desks. If this didn't happen, I could live with the rest of it.

Ay I wish I didn't have to iron. I am like you, I rarely wear anything that has to be ironed, but my husband likes all of his button down shirts and pants drip dried because he's really tall and they shrink (he likes natural fabrics too) so I ALWAYS have to iron his clothes. blech. I hate the button down cotton shirts. They take me forever! :ack2:

You poor soul :( If I end up in hell someday, my punishment will be to have my period 365 days a year and to iron button-down dress shirts all day, every day. I'm a total perfectionist, so they drive me insane. Every time you turn them, they get a new wrinkle in a place you just ironed, and you can never avoid ironing wrinkles into the placket or the edges of the collar or the stupid cuffs. DH insists on having his dry cleaned, because he says he likes them that way. I think he just doesn't want to have to live with the person I'd be if I had to iron his work shirts! :willy_nilly:

(ETA: By the way, your signature always make me giggle a little :D There's a crazy Dominican guy living in our house too :lol:)

Edited by melissel

Funny, I love to iron. It's one chore that doesn't feel like a chore to me. I think I'm in the minority though. :001_smile: I chose laundry. The washing/drying part isn't that bad, but the folding/putting away part that I hate.

Doing the bathrooms! I don't mind laundry or dishes. I don't iron, at all. I don't care for vacuuming or sweeping/mopping but will pick them if given a choice between that or bathrooms. Of course, my only option is to do them myself, hope dh does them (actually happens quite often), or get the kids to do them (useless, only leads to more stuff to clean).

So I answered before the poll was up that I despised washing dishes. Now that I see the list, I'm asking myself, "Is there anything I LIKE to do on this list?" For me, that is an easier question to answer. Sigh. I wish I liked housekeeping.

:lol::iagree::lol: I voted for bathrooms, but I don't really enjoy any of them. :tongue_smilie:

Cat litter box. My cat is 17 years old. :(

ETA: I have no delusion that I will ever be rich. But oh how I long for a housecleaner/handyman kind of person to help me out! I like the household managment jobs (shopping, finances, lesson plans), but I'd love some help with the manual labor.

Edited by Cindyg

Grocery shopping just has to be the most inefficient chore. First you have to select the items, the put them in a basket, then remove them from the basket at checkout, then put then in the car, then take them out of the car, then put them away. You handle the exact same thing too, too, too many times. It's such a waste of time and energy imo.

Mary

I don't mind ironing because I don't do it very often. I hate cleaning the bathrooms. I think it's something my mom passed on to me, because she also always hated cleaning the bathroom. When dh and I talked about getting married I said "I'll make you a deal, if you clean the bathrooms, I'll always do the taxes" he took me up on it. Unfortunately I still have to clean them quite often because I'm not willing to just let them go while he's on deployment.

Mine wasn't listed but it's decluttering. I absolutely HATE it because it feels like it's constant and there is something about the activity that makes me want to fly to pieces. I'd rather scrub bathrooms or iron than declutter. But of course it's necessary and has to be done and makes all the other cleaning so much easier. :)

Before the Mighty Purge of Aught Nine, I felt the same way. For about fifteen years, I felt like my primary role was simply to manage the inflow and outflow of things from my home. It was exasperating.

Now I can't stand the bathroom cleaning. Ironing I find relaxing. The other things can be done while listening to an audio book or watching Stargate on Hulu, but the bathroom, besides being gross, is so small, I hate going in there, can't hear the stereo well with the water running, can't watch Stargate.... It's awful.

You poor soul :( If I end up in hell someday, my punishment will be to have my period 365 days a year and to iron button-down dress shirts all day, every day. I'm a total perfectionist, so they drive me insane. Every time you turn them, they get a new wrinkle in a place you just ironed, and you can never avoid ironing wrinkles into the placket or the edges of the collar or the stupid cuffs. DH insists on having his dry cleaned, because he says he likes them that way. I think he just doesn't want to have to live with the person I'd be if I had to iron his work shirts! :willy_nilly:

(ETA: By the way, your signature always make me giggle a little :D There's a crazy Dominican guy living in our house too :lol:)

Wow. Well, you took it farther than I would have, but yeah, I hate ironing as much as you. :D

Wow. Well, you took it farther than I would have, but yeah, I hate ironing as much as you. :D

:lol: Yeah, I really do hate it. I think the last time I ironed one of his shirts, he found me crying over it, and that was the end of that job. If only that method worked for other things :lol: