Menu

Going bra shopping -- need help!

I really need to buy some new bras, and I'm dreading it.

I know what size I am, and I know I want a kind of "pretty bra." But I don't know what brand or type or style, and I can't imagine trying on 20 bras while somehow juggling three little kids.

Does anyone have a brand or style they love and purchase again and again? How about a place you love to buy bras -- especially on-line?

And any tips on shopping for bras in general?

Thanks!

I agree. Every bra is different. Even if it is the exact same bra and size, it may fit differently. My trick was to do a big shop only once and then stick with that bra until the day they discontinue the style. I just go back and buy more of the same every year.

Also, it really depends on what type of bra you want--underwire, not underwire, soft cup, molded cup with padding, push-up, minimizer, normal, full figure, etc. If you are a larger size, the best place I've found is Lane Bryant. They have great bras for larger sizes.

I can't imagine trying on 20 bras while somehow juggling three little kids.

Are you a married lady? If so, bra shopping is definitely one of those times when you leave the kids home with daddy, even if it means going in the evening. If not, do you have a friend with whom you might be able to trade childcare with for this occasion?

I live in a small town, and there isn't much, so I usually go to the next biggest town over where there's a Penneys. Last time though, I went to the "big city" :D where there's a Macy's, and I was astonished at the selection. I agree with the idea that if you're a bigger-sized gal, you might want to look first at Lane Bryant.

I leave the boys home, for certain, and go to Victoria's Secret. Though expensive, the investment pays off because if treated right, they last three years or longer. I hand wash gently, very little wringing or squeezing, and hang up to dry. It took me a long time to decide I would get a V.S. bra or two because they can be upwards of $40.00 a piece, but the comfort and quality is worth it. Usually the sales people are REALLY knowledgeable of the product so I can go in there, describe exactly what I want out from the bra, and they can hand me the just right one.

Sometimes they go on sale for 25% off and if you search, you might find a $5.00 off one or $10.00 off two coupon. That's when I buy them or at there annual clearance sale...sometimes dd and I get lucky and get them for less than $20.00 each.

Faith

I would suggest making a trip to Phipps Plaza and going to Intimacy. (myintimacy.com) The bras are pricey BUT they will fit you properly and they will outlast any bra you've ever purchased if you take care of it properly.

My favorite bra there is around $70. My mom's is $50. There may be a few cheaper and there are certainly many above that price range.

It's a lot to spend (for me) but it's well worth it. I don't live in Georgia anymore. The closest Intimacy is 3 hours in Chicago now. I have a weight goal to reach and when I reach it, I'll be heading there.

There's a lot of information on their website too. But going into the store is very educational if you tell them you've never been and you're not sure how to get a proper fit.

I really need to buy some new bras, and I'm dreading it.

I know what size I am, and I know I want a kind of "pretty bra." But I don't know what brand or type or style, and I can't imagine trying on 20 bras while somehow juggling three little kids.

Does anyone have a brand or style they love and purchase again and again? How about a place you love to buy bras -- especially on-line?

And any tips on shopping for bras in general?

Thanks!

If you're close to Atlanta, I can't say enough good about Intimacy. You call and make an appointment, and they have someone who actually knows what she's doing who will fit you and find things that fit the criteria you say you need (down to very specific concerns, like narrow shoulders or not liking wide bands but needing support, or wanting lacy and pretty, etc, etc)... Not a great place to drag kids, but if you can make an appt for a weekend and leave them at home... I found the bras weren't any cheaper online either, which was a concern -- I thought I might be paying a premium for going into the store and having that service.

I agree with Faith about going to VS, they are great fitting, comfortable, and the staff is REALLY helpful.

Warning -- once you get a VS bra, you'll never want to get a different brand. :glare:

Not true for me. :) I bought two different styles from there at full price and have bought a few others during their clearance sales over the years, and I don't personally think the quality is any better than the ones I've found at Kohl's and JC Penney. The only bra I've owned that broke a strap was a VS bra, but ymmv.

Not true for me. :) I bought two different styles from there at full price and have bought a few others during their clearance sales over the years, and I don't personally think the quality is any better than the ones I've found at Kohl's and JC Penney. The only bra I've owned that broke a strap was a VS bra, but ymmv.

:iagree: I find VS to be crappy these days. The quality has taken a complete nosedive since they started marketing to the teen market. I find it more than worth it to pay for Walcoal or Le Mystere (on sale, of course :D).

I love VS bras!! They're very comfortable and their "t-shirt" bras never show through my clothes. Get fitted while you're there, as bra size can change...and often does. I also agree with everyone who says DON'T go bra shopping with children. It just doesn't work.