Menu

The cost of RS?

trying my best

Taking around a year is pretty typical. I will definitely take a full year with my kindergarten student. Level A is 77 lessons, but I think they are best split into two days each (something the author mentions as well). :)

It is expensive but contains quite a few manipulatives and card games.

Correction - the deluxe Level A set is $180.

I just looked and they have so many stuff that i am lost.

How much would it cost me to order from them to start RS? What all would i need?

Teachers books are $50 or so, right?,

The deluxe set is not needed, just the basic. How long A lasts depends on if you do a lesson in a day or if you break it up. I broke it up and so it took closer to two years for my ds to finish.

Heather

I had my dad get RS A for me for Christmas (for DS2 when he's ready), partly because we needed several of those manipulatives anyway, and I knew my oldest (not using RS) would love the card games.

I priced the manipulatives + card games by themselves at Rainbow Resource, and it ended up being not much more to just get the RS A set and have the TM as well. I think it's right at $100 at RR, and if you have $50 more to order at that time, you can get free shipping. I had my dad add in the RS card games book (it's not included in A), a set of base 10 blocks, and an extra abacus (exact same one used in RS, but it's only $10, not the $20 that RS site lists it as). That got him to the $150 free shipping. :)

I wasn't planning to spend $100 on a one year math program (after spending $26 for a one year math program for first grade), but given that the manipulatives will be used for multiple years and for other math programs (for example, our Math Mammoth place value lessons this past week used the abacus, and we're starting the clocks chapter next week which uses the geared clock), I felt it was worth the investment, as a newbie homeschooler that had NO math manipulatives at all. Now I have almost everything I need, except a balance (and I'll probably just get that from RR).

Also, if you think about it, Singapore is about $80 a year, so RS isn't that outrageous, especially since the price includes the manipulatives. Singapore's price does not.

It's expensive - there's no two ways about it. You do get a lot of manipulatives the first year, but successive years don't really get very much cheaper, despite less manipulatives. It's still about $100-$150/yr for the add-on kits for each level. Ouch. Their workbooks and TM's are pricey! This year when I went to order up Math Mammoth to supplement, and downloaded grades 1-6 for $135, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

But.... I love the RS program, so I'll pay :) I'll get it at our spring HS convention to avoid shipping costs, and hopefully it will fit the learning styles of my younger kids as well. When I figure I'll hopefully be getting 3 years use out of every level, then perhaps selling it when we're done, I can justify it a bit more!

My oldest started with A and is in E right now. I'm pretty sure I have found all of them used and most of the manipulatives too. The only thing I definitely remember getting new is the cards and the game book. It seems expensive at first, but you can reuse it or sell it once you're finished. We're using A for the 3rd time right now so divided by 3, the cost was really good.