Menu

My mil is in critical condition tonight

My mil has been in the hospital several days with longterm lung issues. She has been on oxygen a long time and is now having difficulty expelling carbon dioxide and it is building up in her lungs. She was doing better so they didn't put the CPAP(?) machine on, but took a strong turn for the worse in the last 24 hours and is now on the CPAP machine. She could recover or not. Everyone is going to come see her in the hospital in the morning. We are at peace with her going home to Heaven but she is very much beloved and it will be hard. Any words of wisdom on how to talk with my children (ages 10 to 24) and dh? We are Christians.

Thank you. It's nice to know someone is listening (reading?). Al the grandkids saw her over the break, even the college kids home, so that was nice. And maybe she'll pull through.

Death seems so final, but it really isn't. I too had a beloved Godly grandmother and look forward to seeing her again in Heaven.

I will be praying for your family. My Dad died last year when my girls were 7 and 5. They knew that he had cancer and that their other Grandpa had died of cancer four years before. When I told them their "Poppy the Grandpa" had died, they knew what it meant and I just had to hold them and let them cry. With kids the ages you mention, I would explain it just as you did here. :grouphug:

My mil did pass away about two hours ago. We were all there. All of my kids go to say their goodbyes, even if she was unconscious. My bil the pastor said a prayer with everyone in the room. I think we are all at peace about it. I'm sure there will be more tears and we have the funeral to get through, etc., but no one is super upset. Her only daughter is taking it hard but will be okay. Her mom had suffered a lot from ill health over the years and we all knew it was only right to let her go. She passed away within 10 minutes of her last child arriving. I think she was hanging on until she saw him and his wife.

Thank you for the prayers, hugs, and comforting words.