Menu

bicycle girls: exciting news

If you've ever had you bike stolen, you will understand this. If not, you will think I am a total nut.

When I was in eighth grade my folks got me a Schwinn Traveler III, x-tra lite, baby blue. We lived in Colorado Springs at the time, and my school was about a thousand feet below my house. Riding to school took about 10 minutes, and riding home took 45; I rode whenever it wasn't snowing. Three of us girls were in the bike club, and our social studies teacher would take us on long rides, through The Garden of the Gods, all over the area. Stunning. Then we moved to Kauai, and I went to boarding school on the Big Island. Over time I upgraded the wheels, got the first women's saddle ever made (what a relief!), bought a special gear for hills, toe clips with those now-old-fashioned leather straps.... I rode that bike all over the islands. That bike was my freedom. I brought it to college, here in the northwest, and again, rode it all around the Puget Sound region, on the Olympic Peninsula, took ferries and explored various islands.

About ten years ago, the bike was stolen out of my (enclosed) back yard. I was crushed. Under duress, I bought a Trek hybrid that is perfectly functional, but because I was not thinking straight, I allowed myself to be talked into a color I abhor. It was on clearance. I was desperate. I hitched up the old Burley Piccolo, and rode and rode. And really, it's a better bike than my Traveler was. But I never loved it. I commute to work on it, I haul groceries and chicken feed in the trailer, I use it. Still. No love.

Once, on the new bike, when I was pulling my youngest in the trailer, I saw someone riding what looked like my beloved old bike, and my heart started beating like crazy, and I was suddenly obsessed with catching up to that person. S/he was about a block and a half away, riding fast, and I took off after this person. My son in the back was clapping and shouting, "Yay! Faster, Mommy, faster!" Then I thought.... what the h-e-double-toothpicks am I doing? What's happened to me? What am I going to do when I catch up? Knock the poor soul off the thing? Yes! That's what I wanted to do! But I stopped myself. I felt ill, watching that person ride away on what I could have sworn was my bike. Truly. Ill. It was the first of many sightings that still get my heart racing. I could never get that bike out of my mind.

Now. I work on a university campus that (like all campuses, I guess) has a room filled with dozens and dozens of abandoned bikes. Today I was granted access and found not one but TWO bikes that are the same make and model as my old lovely. Not my actual bike, but ones just like it. They were both in terrible shape, but the frames were okay. I was allowed to just take, free-fer-nothin', the bike of my choice. The director of security asked, "If I give you this bike, do you think you can stop mourning your old bike?" He is tired of hearing my same lament over and over, poor dear. I picked the better one, and pushed / pulled it home, thinking, I am crazy. Like I need one more piece of junk in my garage. So I called a bike buddy, and he told me he could swap out the frames, replace the Trek frame, which is the same size as the Schwinn, with the old Traveler.

It won't be like having my dear old friend back, but it's good. It makes me happy to have some little bit back, something familiar.

So. I have had Queen in my head all day: I want to ride my bicycle! I want to ride my bike!

I thought you bike gals would appreciate this story. I know you're out there, Dragon Academy and others.

Happy sigh.

Did you love your bike when you were a kid? Was your bike freedom?

Edited by Nicole M

I totally get it! My beloved red Colombia 3-speed was stolen out of my yard when I was in high school. I'd probably be frustrated with a 3-speed now, it probably weighed a ton compared to the new bikes, but none have my subsequent bikes have lived up to it in my estimation. :tongue_smilie:

Congrats on finding "your" bike again!

I actually totalled a car once (not my fault), and my dad found me a used car in the same color and model - it was healing somehow...

I totally get it! My beloved red Colombia 3-speed was stolen out of my yard when I was in high school. I'd probably be frustrated with a 3-speed now, it probably weighed a ton compared to the new bikes, but none have my subsequent bikes have lived up to it in my estimation. :tongue_smilie:

Congrats on finding "your" bike again!

I actually totalled a car once (not my fault), and my dad found me a used car in the same color and model - it was healing somehow...

Those Columbia 3-speeds were beautiful! Love those bikes. Red, too. Those older bikes are vogue now, it seems.

I've been out to the freezing cold garage four times this afternoon, just to gaze upon it. :D

I don't know if this would interest you or not, but the guys in the classic & vintage section of www.bikeforums.net would be able to tell you what it would take to bring back to original stock if you would want to do that.

I did check out that forum this afternoon! It's original stock wasn't that great. I'm leaning toward upgrading to make it into a good beat-around-in-the-rain bike, which, if the google image results are a clue, is not total blasphemy:

http://pedalrevolutionblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/schwinn_redmixte.jpg

I am thinking about adding fenders and these baskets:

http://www.amazon.com/Wald-535-Bicycle-Carrier-Basket/dp/B000AB6DCS/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1294460049&sr=8-11

...and now it's running in my head, late as it is!

That was such a cool story, and I started stupidly laughing when you got to the song lyrics.

I had my Trek allTera Telera (or something like that) stolen out of my carport once, and I was just sick about it. I knew I rode it a lot at the time, but I was shocked at how violated I felt and how sad it made me feel to not have my beloved bike. The kid that stole it used it to outrun the police until he crashed it in a ditch. I had filed the report when it was stolen, so the police called me when they brought it back to their garage. HOWEVER, they wouldn't let me bring her home as they were holding it for evidence! I didn't want to file charges, I just needed my bike back. I marched down there and demanded to see it, and then I practically crawled over the top of everything else in the police garage to hold my bike. I was aware that the staff thought I was nuts, but I didn't care. I harassed them every day until they let me bring her home. I couldn't ride her, however, until I replaced the seat and handlebar grips - that dumb kid's cooties were on my bike, and I didn't want any part of it! LOL

It's still my only bike and is a perfect fit. We've been through a lot together. I've liked some cars, but I LOVE my bike!

Nicole, this news is so cool. How long will it take to get it to where you want it to be? And please remember to wear your helmet. It's quite helpful when you are checking out some guy and inadvertently ride down stairs. Ask S. about it next time we see you. Sadly, the girl, who was rather banged up, just grinned and said it was totally worth it. :D

Not that I am saying you would stop to such behavior. Congrats!

Riding to school took about 10 minutes, and riding home took 45;

This passage describes my 1 mile ride from my home to the lovely 26 mile bike path running along a river through my city. The bike path is great--the ride home, not so much.

Is your new bike going to be what the hipsters call a fixie?

Thanks, all, for sharing my enthusiasm! Today on my way to work I'll pedal on over to talk to my bike ninja friend and see how much this little project will cost.

To answer your question, Beth in OH, aren't fixies the one-speed bikes? I am much too old for that! :tongue_smilie: I like my 21 speeds, thank you. I live a few miles from the water, and we're several hundred (four hundred, maybe?) feet above sea level. I would either have to never go to the water, or would have to take a bus back up the hill!

Eventually I would still like to get a bike similar to The Dragon Academy's Trek Allant, but the Eco bikes I really like are closer to $1,000, which, even without car insurance or gas bills, is a little steep with a boy in college. We'll see.

I'm so happy for you! My bike was stolen when I was about 13yo. I rode it to the library a few blocks form my house, and when I came out of the library, it was GONE. My dad called the police, and they did find the bike--seems that some houligans had taken it for a joyride. So my story has a happy ending too, but I do understand the distress you felt when your bike went missing. :)

To answer your question, Beth in OH, aren't fixies the one-speed bikes? I am much too old for that! :tongue_smilie:

I think you're probably right. I had to go to urbandictionary.com to look up the word "fixie" when my dd who goes to college in Lincoln Park, Chicago used the word in a facebook post! :lol: Thank goodness for college kids, urbandictionary.com and facebook to keep me updated!