Menu

Silly Math Question - drilling math facts?

lea1

Could someone please explain to me what people mean when they talk about drilling math facts, in regards to children in K or 1st, for instance. Does this mean drilling 2+1=3; 2+2=4; 2+3=5; 2+4=6; etc?

I remember learning the "times tables" when I was in elementary school. I don't recall memorizing tables like this for addition and subtraction though.

Is this what is meant by drilling math facts?

Could someone please explain to me what people mean when they talk about drilling math facts, in regards to children in K or 1st, for instance. Does this mean drilling 2+1=3; 2+2=4; 2+3=5; 2+4=6; etc?

I remember learning the "times tables" when I was in elementary school. I don't recall memorizing tables like this for addition and subtraction though.

I want to learn more about it too.

I am guessing in K you can drill facts about numbers that make 10 in a sum? like 3-7, 8-2, 5-5, 1-9 and so on?

also 1+1, 2+2, 3+3, 4+4 and so on?

Yup, we drill our addition and subtraction facts using flashcards and speed drills on a daily basis.

ETA: we don't do a particular order or by sums. I just rotate through what we have learned. So , once we started subtracting from 12, I would add those cards into the mix and rotate out some if the others. I rotate the cards about once a week, taking out a few and adding back in whatever I took out when I added the new stuff. Does that make any sense...haha:). Our speed drills are also just a random mix of problems we have covered.

Edited by hsbaby

Yes. I use oral, at this point, as kiddo would stop and erase any number not up to his standards. I use the triangular cards with the sum or product at the top, and the "parts" at the bottom.

When I was in 5th grade we had timed drills that we did over and over until we could do them perfectly in less than X minutes. We did adding first, then subtracting, then multi, division, and then mixed problems.