Menu

Should I use PR or AAS

mjayzmomma

I know there have been many threads comparing these I couldn't find one that would help me decide.

I bought them both because I didn't know which one would fit my son. He is 7 and knows all his individual sounds and can read but needs to move on to the next level we never used an official phonics program. He is very hyper and has very short attention span. He needs a lot of review.

After looking at PR I'm not sure if I should use this. Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with a child that has short attention??

We are also using FLL and WWE which we love! If I use PR I wouldn't need to use FLL and WWE.

I was thinking of using both AAS and PR but not sure how I would do this. Do any of you do this and if so how?

Thank you!

I had both and gave up AAS in favor of PR. I thought about doing both, but there really was no need to do so. We still use FLL and WWE. Maybe we won't need to in level 2, I'm not sure.

You could use AAS if you only want to focus on spelling. It's a wonderful program that is very open and go.

You could use PR if you want to focus on spelling and reading and if you plan to continue on to the next levels to incorporate grammar as well. I don't feel that PR is worth the expense over AAS if you do not plan to continue on to the next levels. I look at PR as a long term plan and investment. I feel that PR has a lot more review built in since you are constantly doing markings on all words. PR is more open and go than some other programs out there that are similar (SWR), but you will need to plan time to watch the DVDs prior to teaching each lesson. My son has a short attention span (ADHD) and loves PR, but he really liked AAS too.

One thing that I did not like about AAS was using the tiles for spelling. It took forever because he would play around instead of making the words. We did a lot of aquadoodle spelling and spelling on the computer in favor of the tiles.

I feel that writing the words on paper with PR really cements the rules. At this point, he rarely has to think about them. It's automatic. It's also good handwriting practice. We are looking forward to PR Level 2 in the fall. :)

Hi. I have 2 very hyper boys. One doesn't like to sit still and the other is Mr. Distractible. We have used PR successfully and have recently started PR3. Both boys are 8yo. Wiggly and Squiggly, if you will.

I was just marveling today how we got down to business, burned through our spelling list, and they quietly and quickly wrote 1/2 of their grammar lesson, in cursive. That was a long list of words and we finished without interruption, distraction, or much time. So, to answer your question, yes, PR can be done by active little boys.

Although their format is different, you will find that the contents of FLL+WWE+AAS (through the levels) and PR (through the levels) are similar. Both are classical, both work well and will cover LA. An additional component you will get in PR is that the work comes from the literature portion, which serves as the tool to apply what they're learning.

Another difference is the DVD teaching. PR is modeled by Mrs. Beers. It is not scripted. Mrs. Beers does a great job of teacher training, but some people don't like dvds. I find them helpful. There are some great samples on the website to give you an idea.

I agree with Zenz that the longer you stick with PR, the more you'll get out of it. A couple of moms here have experience with both PR & AAS, so I hope they pipe in for you.

So far as the tiles, Mr. Distractible found them distracting, but his compadre enjoys tiles. AAS comes with them. I use some tiles from another program. You'll have to gage that one.

Here is a social group discussion comparing AAS to PR. It's only a couple pages.

HTH some.

We are in week 20 of PR1. My dd is 6 and VERY distractible. She loves PR. I find that it is more efficient than what I did with my older kids (WWE, AAS, and FLL). I like the rule tunes with PR. :) I will at that I'm glad I used AAS with my older dds because I like some things from AAS better. Specifically, we use AAS's fourth sound of O ("uh"), third sound of I ("ee"), and "ee" as the sound of Y at the ends of words (happy = hap-pee, NOT hap-ih). I stopped using AAS with dd6 and I was easily able to modify PR to use those sounds. I plan to purchase level 2. :)

Both are strong programs. I know AAS can be used for short periods of time, and I am sure PR can be modified to be the same way. If you go with AAS you would just keep FLL and WWE. If you go with PR you wouldn't need those.

Really I don't think you can make a bad choice here ideologically. How one or the other would fit practically is where one might work better for you than the other.

Heather

Thank you all for your input. I'm going to try out PR and see how it goes. I like it especially the dvd's. I need all the help I can get and even though it is tough to find the time to review them they are helpful. MY son doesn't like "songs" to much so we will see how the rule tunes work out. My fear with AAS tiles is he will use them as battle toys while I teach instead of what they are meant for. Between the two I'm going to try and find a happy spot!

Thank you all for your input. I'm going to try out PR and see how it goes. I like it especially the dvd's. I need all the help I can get and even though it is tough to find the time to review them they are helpful. MY son doesn't like "songs" to much so we will see how the rule tunes work out. My fear with AAS tiles is he will use them as battle toys while I teach instead of what they are meant for. Between the two I'm going to try and find a happy spot!

LOL, my son used to make all words "explode" (with sound effects of course) after he built them! Fond memories...

Merry :-)