Menu

Hammocks as Beds?

In the minimalist thread, someone mentioned using hammocks as beds. Has anyone ever tried this? It sounded intriguing, as we are moving soon to a house with more bedrooms, but they are smaller than what we have now. So, I'm considering some space saving alternatives for the kids' rooms.

The little bit of googling I did seems to indicate that millions of people all over the world use hammocks as beds, but I don't know anyone who does that around here.

Anyone with experience?

When I traveled in Brazil, this was common. Even in the homes of the wealthy in fully furnished bedrooms (including traditional beds), there were hooks embedded in the walls and hammocks in the cupboard. It's comfy to sleep that way! But not every night. I like to sleep on my stomach and you can't do that in a hammock.

I have a friend who grew up in Brazil, and this was normal for them. She said it's not just any hammock, though - the kind you find at Target in the summer is fine for the backyard but not for regular sleeping.

It's a tightly woven yet stretchy (I know that doesn't make sense, but it's true...), soft cottonish material. Strong but soft.

We made our own a couple years ago for our 3 teen boys who were sharing a room. We bought canvas cots, took the legs off and hung them from strong ropes anchored to the ceiling. They loved them for a while- then they all started having back pain. It was time to stage the house so we took them down and no one has asked for them since. Now they sleep in loft beds and each have the 8 ft by 6 ft section under it as personal space.

For my reading, many people who slept in hammocks (usually on vacation) reported reduction or complete elimination of back pain. WHen you sleep in a hammock there are no pressure points, and the spine remains properly aligned. There should not be a great deal of sag in the hammock, nor should it be stretched too tight and flat. it should curve with your body. Angling your body slightly, rather then trying to lie directly in the center offers more support and better alignment.

I love sleeping in my hammock and I do it as often as I can. I nap there and sometimes go out to drift off of an evening . . . but I always wake and move in to bed.

I find it comfortable ONLY if I have a pillow under both my head and knees. The way my, and probably everyone's, weight distributes, the hammock sags in the middle and is a bit elevated at the head and feet. This makes too straight of a line b/t my hips and feet. I have no idea if that's actually clear or not. What I mean is that when sleeping on my back, my legs are too straight. A pillow beneath my knees feels comfy, though. Sleeping on my sides is fine though. I have to have a pillow for my head, too.

I cannot express how much I love a crisp autumn afternoon, a light blanket, and a nap in my hammock. mmmmmmm!

For inside use? I think I could get used to it. I mean, I KNOW I could get used to it if I had to. Just think of those sailors of old.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

My kids have hammocks underneath their loft beds and love them. They usually sleep up in the loft--the hammocks are for fun. They have tried sleeping in the hammock from time to time, but it only works well for them in truly hot weather. It's virtually impossible to deal with heavy blankets in a hammock.

I slept in a hammock for a week on a trip to Mexico when I was a teen, and slept quite well.

If you do get a hammock, do NOT get ones with the stretcher bars. Your hammock should be just fabric and rope. Also make sure it's properly anchored when you put it up.

Hammocks, no, but have a look at this picture of build-it-yourself hanging beds.

Have a look at everything on this site. Buy wood. Build!

Nikki

:iagree:

And hey, I thought it was my job to keep posting links to Ana's site! :D

I'm currently building her loft bed for my 16 yo. After that I'm planning to build another Favorite Bookshelf to go alongside this one in my dd's room.

:iagree:

And hey, I thought it was my job to keep posting links to Ana's site! :D

I'm currently building her loft bed for my 16 yo. After that I'm planning to build another Favorite Bookshelf to go alongside this one in my dd's room.

Oooh! Darla, you might be the person who first put me onto Ana's site! Did you post a picture of a table with shelving under it, and say you were nervous of power tools, then asked for some for your 40th birthday? Was that you?

If it was you, you really did change my life! I have built two things from her site, but more importantly, just started doing stuff after your post. I'm aiming for 52 projects in this year leading to my 40th birthday (October) - I've made a curtain, and undertaken garden projects, ripped vinyl flooring up through the whole house, removed ugly skirting boards, read a book in a language I studied at school, I'm joining the 52-books-in-52-weeks project here, I've built Ana's stuff, and joined a couple of committees - and I'm happier than I've been in years. All because of your post and Ana's website. So thanks!

Nikki

P.S. I've built a storage bench for the dining table, the library bookshelf of wheels and am currently stuck on a console table - I modified the plans too ambitiously!

In the minimalist thread, someone mentioned using hammocks as beds. Has anyone ever tried this? It sounded intriguing, as we are moving soon to a house with more bedrooms, but they are smaller than what we have now. So, I'm considering some space saving alternatives for the kids' rooms.

The little bit of googling I did seems to indicate that millions of people all over the world use hammocks as beds, but I don't know anyone who does that around here.

Anyone with experience?

I was the one who mentioned it. I've seen theirs and it's very simple. They do a family bed, even in the hammock. :) Can't wrap my mind around it, but can you IMAGINE? No making beds, no washing sheets, no changing sheets, no vacuuming under the bed, and on and on and on. And talk about space saver!

Well it seemed to work well for Gillian and the Skipper.

I was thinking of Gilligan too!

When I was a teenager, I went on a missionary trip, and we lived on an old school bus, which, in my memory, we drove 24/7. (LOL. I'm sure that's not literally true, but I know it absolutely did not have air conditioning!) But we hung hammocks on the bus to sleep in. Some of us slept in the floor under the seats, and the lucky ones slept in the hammocks. It was heaven. :) We had a blast.

Oooh! Darla, you might be the person who first put me onto Ana's site! Did you post a picture of a table with shelving under it, and say you were nervous of power tools, then asked for some for your 40th birthday? Was that you?

If it was you, you really did change my life! I have built two things from her site, but more importantly, just started doing stuff after your post. I'm aiming for 52 projects in this year leading to my 40th birthday (October) - I've made a curtain, and undertaken garden projects, ripped vinyl flooring up through the whole house, removed ugly skirting boards, read a book in a language I studied at school, I'm joining the 52-books-in-52-weeks project here, I've built Ana's stuff, and joined a couple of committees - and I'm happier than I've been in years. All because of your post and Ana's website. So thanks!

Nikki

P.S. I've built a storage bench for the dining table, the library bookshelf of wheels and am currently stuck on a console table - I modified the plans too ambitiously!

I think the poster you're referring to (Michelle My Belle - if I recall correctly) got us both started on Ana's site. I'm sure others here were similarly influenced as well!

I have built a few things off and on over the years, but not a table (not yet!).

How awesome we can influence each other in positive ways like this though! I may never again think of wtm forums as some kind of bad habit.

You've already built the library cart? Didn't she just post that last week? Impressive!

You've already built the library cart? Didn't she just post that last week? Impressive!

You should see my study/school room - the library cart was essential - and I cheated a little by having the timber all pre-cut when I bought it. That sure saves time!

I saw a couple of homeschoolers commenting on Ana's plans on the website, with the ooohs and aaahs every homeschooler probably makes at the thought of another place to store books. :001_smile:

I'll have to track down Michelle to thank her, then!

Happy building...

Nikki

Thanks for the replies, ladies! I do love the idea of not having to deal with sheets, beds, etc. I've read up on the types of hammocks suitable for sleeping and I have one son who is all a hammock to free up playing space. We may try it out.

Now, off to browse Ana's site and get inspired for other possibilities!