Menu

What edition do you use for Henle Latin I & where do you purchase it?

Ds has finished Latina Christiana II and so we are going to move along with Henle unless someone has compelling reasons for using Wheelock's or Oxford instead. I've heard that the format with Henle's is friendlier to pre-high school students.

I've seen several editions on ebay and answer keys but they don't seem to match up. I'm wondering if the answer key was the same for several editions.

Thanks a bunch,

Faith

According to my understanding, there were no changes made to Henle. I just purchased the softcover books and keys from acbooks.net because they were the best price available at the time. They also have the lowest prices on MODG syllabi for those who want a daily plan/quizzes/tests/paradigms laid out for them.

Mine says copyright 1958. It also states that earlier editions are virtually the same. I think I bought the first set from Memoria Press several years ago, this last set I bought through Amazon.

I normally buy hardback books, but I like the pb of Henle because my kids write extensively in their books. When they translate English -> Latin, they really need to mark the gender/case/number above the nouns.

I've heard of some families removing the binding and having the book comb bound. That might be nice, I've just never tried it.

If anyone knows where to purchase a hardcover Henle Latin, PLEASE let me know!

Well, coincidentally, I ordered two different hardcover versions a couple days ago from abebooks, in the hope that they might lay flatter than the new paperback version that we have. One was 1945, the other 1958.

Looking at abebooks, I see the following hardcover versions available tonight:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=3994742118&searchurl=an%3Dhenle%26kn%3Dhardcover%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dlatin%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=2098486330&searchurl=an%3Dhenle%26kn%3Dhardcover%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3Dlatin%26x%3D0%26y%3D0

Also, an amazon seller appears to have a *new* (?) hardcover for 20 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0006AVKYY/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Ds has finished Latina Christiana II and so we are going to move along with Henle unless someone has compelling reasons for using Wheelock's or Oxford instead. I've heard that the format with Henle's is friendlier to pre-high school students.

I've seen several editions on ebay and answer keys but they don't seem to match up. I'm wondering if the answer key was the same for several editions.

Thanks a bunch,

Faith

I received my 1945 hardcover edition of Henle, and it is identical to the newly printed one I bought several months ago. The only difference I saw was one page had different pictures. All the content, page numbers, exercise numbers, etc. are identical.

It does lay flatter than the paperback, so I'm pleased. The only downside is that the pages, being old, are more ivory than white. We used it today.

Thanks a bunch,

Faith

I will be the lone dissenter in the bunch, and say, don't bother with Henle, go to Wheelock, and just plan to do it more slowly. I have taught both, and Wheelock just makes so much more sense than Henle; I found that Henle didn't introduce ideas in nearly so systematic a way, and that my students' recall is just WAY better with Wheelock. :D

(I am using it with 2 groups of students--one high school, and the other middle school. I began with the MSers last year when they were 5th and 6th graders, and they are coming right along. )

Go ahead and take it to have the spine cut, covers laminated, and spirally bound. You'll thank me :) I bought some new... some used :)

:iagree:

I've taken both my Henle I and Henle II books to Staples to have them spiral bound. They are so much easier to use this way. Both of the volumes are fairly thick, so I've had them spiral bound into 2 smaller books -- much easier to use all around.

There are syllabi available from both Memoria Press & MODG, but they are different. The Memoria Press syllabi go much slower. I think I remember that the first MP syllabus only covers Henle I, Units 1 & 2 in a 30 wk course. MP syllabus 2 covers Henle I units 3-5 in a 30 wk course.

MODG has several different options. They have one that covers units 1-7 of Henle I in a 32 wk course, one that covers unit 8-14 of Henle I in a 32 wk course, and I think they also have one that covers all of Henle I in a 32 wk course.

If your child completing LC II is young, say 5th or 6th grade, I'd suggest using the MP syllabi for 2 years and then moving on to MODG's syllabi. If he/she is older, 8th or 9th grade, then I'd recommend starting with the MODG syllabi.

I don't have any experience with Wheelock, but Henle has worked very well for us. My ds has done well on the NLE exam for several years now using Henle.

Brenda

I will be the lone dissenter in the bunch, and say, don't bother with Henle, go to Wheelock, and just plan to do it more slowly. I have taught both, and Wheelock just makes so much more sense than Henle; I found that Henle didn't introduce ideas in nearly so systematic a way, and that my students' recall is just WAY better with Wheelock. :D

(I am using it with 2 groups of students--one high school, and the other middle school. I began with the MSers last year when they were 5th and 6th graders, and they are coming right along. )

Henle and Wheelock are both solid programs, the latter being Introductory College level work. I have used both with my oldest daughter. Based on Henle 1 material, she scored 39/40 on NLE I and on NLE II. I certainly would not call Henle lightweight. She breezed through Wheelock on her own over the summer for review before going on to translation work this past fall. At the same time, my children begin classical language study quite young and are at this stage much earlier because it ranks quite high on my priority list. Either way you go, whether Henle or Wheelock, the student is going to learn Latin well.