Menu

Natural/good dandruff ideas?

Ran to the bathroom this morning looked in the mirror and it looked like I walked through a snow storm :D. You know the kinds...with the big wet flakes! Yup, that's what I saw in my hair.

Granted in my avatar it's straight, but most of the time I wear it curly. It's has a lot of natural curl, there is a ton of it, but each strand is fine and brittle :glare:.

How do I take care of this?

Is there a natural or home remedy?

Thanks!

The peppermint and tea tree hair soap from this place:

http://www.prairielandherbs.com/hair.htm

along with their Rosemary and Lavender ACV worked wonders on my hair. My scalp looked almost like cradle cap after giving birth to ds4 and these products were the only things that cleared it up. I tried a lot of other things prior to finding these.

I thought dandruff was from a dry scalp, so using a drying product would not be good? What IS dandruff? lol Because I get BIG flakes occasionally, even when I stop using hair products like hair spray. It's annoying because it's so noticeable!

I'm not entirely sure what dandruff is....hmmm, gonna have to do some research.

I have ACV, tea tree and lavendar oil...so I will give that try ;)

I thought dandruff was from a dry scalp, so using a drying product would not be good? What IS dandruff? lol Because I get BIG flakes occasionally, even when I stop using hair products like hair spray. It's annoying because it's so noticeable!

Here's a link about dandruff and ACV, apparently has to do with the PH in your skin. http://www.ehow.com/how_2145732_use-apple-cider-vinegar-reduce.html

Lots more info than you probably want here.

Skin cells flake and slough off the body all the time, normally skin go through the cycle of dying and being replaced once a month. If this process is sped up and the skin cells aren't removed, you get dandruff. Although the real causes of dandruff are still unknown, most theories involve the sebaceous glands being plugged, or overproducing.

Get your Omega-3s – oysters, beef, pork, chicken legs, a good fish oil, such as Carlson's - 3000 mg daily - helps to relieve itching and inflammation.

Dandruff is connected to an unhealthy digestive system – eat more plain yogurt, garlic, and oregano

Get more zinc. Zinc is essential for healthy hair and for preventing and treating dandruff. Get zinc from foods such as lean beef, chicken, and chickpeas.

B12: Liver, beef, pork, eggs, yogurt

Vitamin F: Vegetable Oils, Peanuts, Sunflower Seeds, Walnuts

B6: Liver, Legumes, Whole Grain Cereals, Fish

Selenium: Bran, Wheat Germ, Broccoli, Onions, Tomatoes, Tuna

Avoid/Watch Out For:

Dairy Products (other than plain yogurt)

Irritating Shampoos or Soaps

Sugar

Fried Foods

Chocolate

Do not pick or scratch your scalp.

One key point is whatever dandruff shampoo one uses (ACV, etc.) - to LEAVE IT ON the scalp for at least 30 minutes, if possible. Let it really soak in. That's what always works for me.