Menu

If you're using RS C, how long do you spend on math? (And some other ??s)

melissel

My DD is almost 8 1/2. My goal is one lesson per day in RightStart C, which takes us about 30-40 minutes, and by then she's maxed out on math (and so am I, really). As a result, we're really not getting in the practice sheets and extra games that we should be. How much time do you spend on math each day? Do you force in the practice sheets and games no matter what?

And no matter how much time we do spend on the sheets when I can, DD's time is not really improving past 2-2.5 minutes per sheet--occasionally less, but not by much. The guidance in the book says to aim for less than one minute per practice sheet. Is that realistic? Are most kids hitting that mark?

RS is working for us, I think, and I like the style so I want to keep it going, but I'm just not entirely sure I'm doing it "right." DD is very bright but not overly mathy. Also, her personality is that she's very methodical. She never gets a single problem wrong on her worksheets or practice sheets. She just takes a while getting there. For whatever that extra info is worth...

TIA for your help!

We spend approximately one hour on math each day, 4 days a weeks. We do the warm-up, which includes skip counting (as he runs, hops, sword fights, etc. around the living room) and 1-2 practice sheets, and then the activities. We only play math games if a lesson calls for it or if there's extra time at the end, otherwise we try to play them at other times during the week.

I started timing the practice sheets initially, but my little man freezes when the timer starts and really stresses, so no more timer for now. I believe, as the tm states, that mastery is more important than speed. It seems as though my little man and I are much the same as your dd... very methodical and such.

All that said, doing RS "right" doesn't mean that your day has to look like mine or anyone else's, especially if what you're doing is working for you.

HTH!

:001_smile: Melissa

My DD is almost 8 1/2. My goal is one lesson per day in RightStart C, which takes us about 30-40 minutes, and by then she's maxed out on math (and so am I, really). As a result, we're really not getting in the practice sheets and extra games that we should be. How much time do you spend on math each day? Do you force in the practice sheets and games no matter what?

Hmmm, on lessons? About 5-15 mins.

On worksheets? No clue really. My oldest was timing herself on level E and she was doing them in 10-25 mins. Once in a while longer when there was drawing involved. Now in Geometry where it is all drawing it often takes her 45 mins. She is picky about how things look. :)

On games? I have them set the timer for 15 mins, so never more than 15 mins a day.

I don't use the practice sheets beyond level B, for two reasons. One being that timing them really stresses them out (in level B I do them without a timer). Two being that they play the games so much and for so long (because the younger siblings need someone to play with) that they don't need the timed sheets.

When the kids are younger I do limit how much time I spend on math. I used to do the warm ups on one day, the lessons on the 2nd day, and then worksheets on the third. Thus I have a 2nd grade ds still finishing up level B, a 4th grade student finishing level C (she really struggled early on, and ds will end up almost a year ahead of her), a 5th grade student finishing up level D and a 7th grader in Geometry. Despite that my oldest is till on schedule to start Algebra in 9th. No not early as is popular in hs, but she is not mathy. I don't feel the need to push. She will get there. The rest of the kiddos are in line to at least start Algebra in 9th, if not sooner, assuming they have the aptitude.

BTW the lowest NP math score we have gotten on the CAT 5 is 75%. Most of their scores have been higher, despite being "behind" in math.

Heather