Menu

Short History of Art by Janson - worth the $$

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I like a History of Art for Young People for Upper Elementary/Jr High but prefer Art History by Marilyn Stokstad for High School. Art History goes into greater detail and isn't focused on Western Civilizations like a History of Art for Young People is. I much prefer for more civilizations to be covered and wish Jansen wasn't focused on the art of Western Civilization.

Edited by Cheryl in SoCal

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Cheryl, I just saw a review of the Stokstad books. They look wonderful!! I'm keeping my eyes open for a good price

I hope you like it as much as I do! They are available in either 2 separate volumes or both volumes combined in one book so be sure to get the combined. Here are links to some older editions that are combined and hard cover that have some reasonably priced used editions for sale:

2004 combined hard cover (new starting at $32.00 and used from $6.64)

http://www.amazon.com/Art-History-Combined-w-CD-ROM/dp/0131455273/ref=tmm_hrd_title_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1294427564&sr=8-2

1995 combined hard cover (new starting at $17.75 and used from $5.78)

http://www.amazon.com/Art-History-Marilyn-Stokstad/dp/0810919605/ref=tmm_hrd_title_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294427564&sr=8-2

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
story of art by Gombich is also good. and less expensive.

I have that as well and IMHO there is no comparison between it and Art History by Stokstad. I'm not saying it's bad, just not nearly as good as Art History.