Menu

Sneaky people.....

Maybe I have been burned one too many times, but something just happened and my gut says this person was trying to pull a fast one.

I have some listings on homeschoolclassifieds. Someone inquired about a math set and what was included. I reply listing exactly what was included. They reply again and ask "Does the $70 include the shipping price too?" I reply that all my prices include media mail with delivery confirmation. The CD in question is a SEPARATE listing from the original set she inquired about. The CD is $70 and the first set is $74. They are all brand new, never used or open. I thought she was asking merely about the shipping being included. But then I get the reply of "GREAT- so it is the set and CD for $70?" UM, NO! I could just see her sending $70 and me sending only the CD and then being accused of lying or ripping her off.

I really don't see how my reply could be misunderstood. I really feel like she was trying to confuse me with all the emails and her wording, trying to get me to confirm what SHE was saying. Not going to happen. I lost $125 last year because someone blatantly lied about a transaction that I had proof of delivery for, and Paypal sided with them.

Ugh. OK- I am done venting.

Maybe I have been burned one too many times, but something just happened and my gut says this person was trying to pull a fast one.

I have some listings on homeschoolclassifieds. Someone inquired about a math set and what was included. I reply listing exactly what was included. They reply again and ask "Does the $70 include the shipping price too?" I reply that all my prices include media mail with delivery confirmation. The CD in question is a SEPARATE listing from the original set she inquired about. The CD is $70 and the first set is $74. They are all brand new, never used or open. I thought she was asking merely about the shipping being included. But then I get the reply of "GREAT- so it is the set and CD for $70?" UM, NO! I could just see her sending $70 and me sending only the CD and then being accused of lying or ripping her off.

I really don't see how my reply could be misunderstood. I really feel like she was trying to confuse me with all the emails and her wording, trying to get me to confirm what SHE was saying. Not going to happen. I lost $125 last year because someone blatantly lied about a transaction that I had proof of delivery for, and Paypal sided with them.

Ugh. OK- I am done venting.

That's yucky.

Hold your line...let her go manipulate someone else!

Maybe she just genuinely misunderstood. Just reading your post the first time, I kind of skimmed and had to go back and reread to really understand what was going on. I know you need to be careful selling online, but sometimes it is just a misunderstanding.

I've heard so many negative stories on here that I'm very hesitant to buy used curriculum online, which is something I know my husband would like me to do. :)

Maybe she just genuinely misunderstood. Just reading your post the first time, I kind of skimmed and had to go back and reread to really understand what was going on. I know you need to be careful selling online, but sometimes it is just a misunderstanding.

I've heard so many negative stories on here that I'm very hesitant to buy used curriculum online, which is something I know my husband would like me to do. :)

I don't see how SHE could have misunderstood - my listings are very clearly separate and the items she was asking about had different prices. She was combining the contents of both listings and asking me to confirm the lower price, which would have been only one of the listings. I guess I will know for sure when I get her next reply.

I don't see how SHE could have misunderstood - my listings are very clearly separate and the items she was asking about had different prices. She was combining the contents of both listings and asking me to confirm the lower price, which would have been only one of the listings. I guess I will know for sure when I get her next reply.

Is it possible that she thought it strange you split out the CD and the other materials (I am assuming they go together in some way??) and thought the listing of the CD at the lower price was a newer listing, with reduced price??

Often on this board when I was shopping used, I would see a listing of a bunch of stuff. Then another listing of the same stuff with different prices, from the same person. Then another. It was very hard to keep track of which was current.

Maybe, if the CD has the same title as the other materials, she is genuinely confused, thinking that the listing for the CD (with the name of the materials from the 2nd listing) was actually a listing for all of it, and thought it was just a reduced price listing made after the first (which is really the separate listing for the other materials that, presumably, go with the CD).

I'd reply in a sincere, non-snarky manner and assume the best at this point.

In my dealings with people, IRL and online, I have learned, many people just don't have the common sense that we would expect of them. They are just not "smart" in many things.

So although it certainly could be a scam in this day and age, I would just be sure to clarify as simply as possible your offer, so that she could not mis-understand what the transaction is. Break it down to baby terms.

Either she will understand and take it, or if she was scamming, you likely won't hear from her.

When I sell something at homeschoolclassifieds, I reexplain the details in every. single. email. Before giving my paypal address, I ask them to verify that they understand exactly what they are buying, the price, and how it will ship. I'm sure some people think I'm odd in doing all that, but I want to avoid the problem that concerns you now.

All that said, I never, ever sell anything online that I can't afford to lose the money on. I'd try very hard to find a local buyer first, even lowering the price significantly in order to get the cash in hand.