Menu

Assassinations

In talking with the children we made a game of listing the 10 most famous/influential assassinations in history. We also had to justify our choice, simply being famous was not enough.

We defined this as murder of a leader of import killed through "non-judicial" means. This excluded groups such as Nicholas II and family etc. Further the victim needed to be a political figure and have been assassinated for political reasons.

We came up with:

Ceasar

Lincoln

Kennedy

Archduke Franz Ferdinand

M. Ghandi

Conrad of Montferrat

Tsar Alexander II

ML King

Philip II of Macedon

Stolypin

Kirov (though arguably this was more in the lines of an internal state directed murder)

Thomas à Becket (though arguably this was more in the lines of an an internal state directed murder)

Additions, subtractions???

Oops, I just now caught that you had Ghandi on the list. So, I'll eliminate that.

What about Lord Mountbatten? IRA bomb

Though not now considered as famous as case, the assassination of President William McKinley was a big deal for that era.

Yitsak Rabin - murdered for "doing business" with Palestinian leaders.

I am not certain why Tsar Nicolas and family were exempted. They were murdered during the Coup but not really through legal channels though there were definitely supporters within the government. I'd call it a popular ROGUE move but not a state directed one. But, it's been a while since I studied the history so I might be very wrong about that.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor

In talking with the children we made a game of listing the 10 most famous/influential assassinations in history. We also had to justify our choice, simply being famous was not enough.

We defined this as murder of a leader of import killed through "non-judicial" means. This excluded groups such as Nicholas II and family etc. Further the victim needed to be a political figure and have been assassinated for political reasons.

We came up with:

Ceasar

Lincoln

Kennedy

Archduke Franz Ferdinand

M. Ghandi

Conrad of Montferrat

Tsar Alexander II

ML King

Philip II of Macedon

Stolypin

Kirov (though arguably this was more in the lines of an internal state directed murder)

Thomas à Becket (though arguably this was more in the lines of an an internal state directed murder)

Additions, subtractions???

So Louis XVI isn't up for consideration either? B/c it was an execution?

Oops, I just now caught that you had Ghandi on the list. So, I'll eliminate that.

I am not certain why Tsar Nicolas and family were exempted. They were murdered during the Coup but not really through legal channels though there were definitely supporters within the government. I'd call it a popular ROGUE move but not a state directed one. But, it's been a while since I studied the history so I might be very wrong about that.

Faith

We exempted Nicholas and family because Lenin actuallly signed an execution order and because as they were already in custody it was deemed execution rather than assassination.

Just want to say that games at your house are ....interesting.

:lol:

They are and it helps to no end with history and second and third order effects of an action.

Tonight's game may be top 10 executions or a more benign top 10 books. Have to see what mood everyone is in.

Edited by pqr

We came up with:

Ceasar

Lincoln

Kennedy

Archduke Franz Ferdinand

M. Ghandi

Conrad of Montferrat

Tsar Alexander II

ML King

Philip II of Macedon

Stolypin

If the assasinations are listed in order of importance then I think I'd have put the Archduke as second or even first because of how much our current world situation has been affected by WWI and consequently WWII. Just my opinion and I certainly wouldn't mind if someone wanted to argue differently.

If the assasinations are listed in order of importance then I think I'd have put the Archduke as second or even first because of how much our current world situation has been affected by WWI and consequently WWII. Just my opinion and I certainly wouldn't mind if someone wanted to argue differently.

I did not put a rank order and this was a first draft we came up with over dinner.

It would be fun to get inputs and alternate names and even a rank order.

Collins is an interesting candidate but who would be dropped to give him a place?