Menu

Cursive issue I haven't seen addressed

Alicia64

I have seven year old boys and I'm trying to decide what to do about cursive.

I understand that the Dubuy Getty style of handwriting is a great idea because it moves away from teaching the loopy, loopy cursive style that we all learned as kids.

However, my goal is not that my boys necessarily choose to write cursive as they get older -- I think they'll be printers when they make their own choice, just my gut. But I want them to be able to read loopy cursive.

So, if we all teach Dubay Getty style -- how will they be able to read the more popular loopy cursive? I write loopy style, my mom writes loopy style etc.

I'm just starting to think that if Dubay Getty is, essentially, printing hooked together -- why not just teach printing and call it a day? (And there really has become debate on whether cursive is faster then printing. And, with keyboards, the fast issue isn't going to matter.)

I really would love your thoughts. I can't make my mind up on this issue.

Alley

We're using GD handwriting. Working with cursive now :)

What I've done is have my son read my handwriting, read postcards his grandma sends him, and read any cursive handwriting I find in books. He's getting the experience reading cursive and reading different handwriting styles. He's getting better at reading the traditional cursive. We've also been able to talk about how people adapt traditional cursive to their own writing styles (very few people I've seen use traditional capital letters - many turn to print for uppercase).

I agree with Dana. Everyone writes so differently anyway, even when printing. I always have my son read cards and letters from our relatives. If he can read my FIL's terrible scribble, he can read anything! :tongue_smilie:But there are so many writing styles out there, and they all have their own merit.

Just go with what you think will be best for your child, and they will be fine.

I've read enough info out there, that I believe it's better to start with cursive. (and that it helps reading development... and more) I tried the program with SWR... Cursive First but my son just couldn't get it. We went to Handwriting Without Tears. It's been awesome! It's easy... it's very "clean" and just really worked for us. (Including how to hold his pencil. The "Pencil flip" worked ....after I had tried for 3 years... in about 10 minutes.... Anyway, just a thought... it was a pretty inexpensive program, and he can add loops later ;)

We're using GD handwriting. Working with cursive now :)

What I've done is have my son read my handwriting, read postcards his grandma sends him, and read any cursive handwriting I find in books. He's getting the experience reading cursive and reading different handwriting styles. He's getting better at reading the traditional cursive. We've also been able to talk about how people adapt traditional cursive to their own writing styles (very few people I've seen use traditional capital letters - many turn to print for uppercase).

:iagree:

I think perhaps it comes down to your purpose in teaching cursive. For me, it was about teaching a handwriting style that would be quick and legible for note taking in college and for the writing component of the ACT/SAT. I think GD italic works great for that. Other people seem to have different goals in teaching cursive, so I can see why they would choose a different style. I do think its important to teach children how to read traditional cursive even if they don't write it.