Menu

When do you after school?

I am only sort of "afterschooling" at this time. I am teaching my 9yo math and we have to do that as soon as he gets home. He isn't getting as much math support in school as he needs due to his schedule (he has significant LDs and gets 90 minutes of reading resource in addition to the rest of his normal class load.) His other homework is done later, after he plays.

It's really hard to "afterschool" in the sense of sitting down to do more work after they have been in school all day. I have to be "stealthy" to get more in.;) Thankfully their school is pretty decent, so I don't feel like they are missing much.

Our schedule varies. I have a rough framework, but I keep it flexible. What helps me the most is to write down goals. No biggie if we don't meet them.

WriteStart Vocab

Done in the car on the way to school.

AoPS Math

Done during his free period in school and weekends.

R&S Grammar

Mostly oral lessons done maybe two school nights and almost always on weekends. Maybe 15" lessons with a lot of short reviews.

Literature

Evenings, 30 minutes of reading together as a family in the living room.

Wheelock's Latin

Miracle of miracles! He's doing this on his own at night. I think someone has stolen my child and replaced him. Reviews with Dad on weekends.

Writing

Lining up a tutor. I want other eyes to scrutinize his work.

Science

School is very *meh* this year, but I can't fit it in. He's trying to study on his own, though.

The school has an excellent history teacher. Hooray!

Next year he'll be in high school, and we will be cutting back on supplementing drastically.

HTH. :)

We do math in the mornings - TTC Basic Math DVD w/Saxon Alg 1/2. Thankfully she does this on her own. Sometimes she does it in the evenings. That's her choice.

Writing - done mostly on weekends - sometimes during the week. We mainly focus on constructing good sentences. She really needs to work on this. We use Killgallon's Grammar for Middle school.

Generally, she has completed her homework when I pick her up from school in the evenings (around 5 ).

Are their certain days or times that you after school? I am just trying to get a feel when the best time to introduce after schooling.. We are look at Saturday mornings and during the week when we can fit it in.

This is exactly what we do. I work with my daughter on reading and math 2-3 times a week on weekdays and then on Saturday.

All the time... Let me explain a little. My younger kids have Singapore math books in their school bags. When they have some extra time at school, they do their own math. They also have extra reading books in their bags, as does my high schooler. My youngest, DS4, reads to the two year old class down the hall.

When they aren't in school, we listen to SOTW in the car. We discuss current events and the history behind them at the dinner table. We visit museums, the zoo, attend concerts, etc. We take nature walks, clean up the local creek, bird watch, ocean watch during our summers at the beach, and record lots of stuff in our lab and sketch books.

I am not MMV by any stretch of the imagination. However, reading her blog about the Family Centered Learning Project has inspired me to try to emulate some of what they do. It's a lifestyle here, not a scheduled event.

Here is the blog. It is called Mental multivitamin She has just recently (like in the last week) started posting again after a family tragedy. Look under the labels museums, parenting, teaching, and nature. Also, she has a lot of good information on books.

Oh, no, I didn't realize M. was dealing with a tragedy. I second MMV's blog. Very much worth reading whether you homeschool or afterschool.

In the mornings. My daughter has about an hour before she has to leave the house-

I set out 3 things (math, writing, reading comprehension) and then she usually just reads the remainder of the time until dad is ready to take her to school. He goes over her work with her before they leave.

Are their certain days or times that you after school? I am just trying to get a feel when the best time to introduce after schooling.. We are look at Saturday mornings and during the week when we can fit it in.

6:30-8:15 every morning. Only homework (which is minimal) after school.