Menu

Am I doing WWE correctly?

truebluexf

I need to listen to the writing lecture still (it's finally in my iPod now though, so that will help...lol) but I need an idea in my head of what's supposed to happen re. :) We're midway through WWE2 with DS who is 3rd grade. I'd like to up our speed a bit and get to at least start WWE3 this school year. I've been eyeing other writing programs for next year though, in case I want to go another way (either WS or WT are my thoughts atm). I want to start working in more narrations for him in other subjects. Now, am I write in believing that since we are on level 2, these should only be oral still? And I shouldn't have him do independent writing til...when? Sometime in 3? Or does it take til 4? I probably just need the actual text but until then I need some ideas in my head. :) I've been worried about writing lately, because we do none except WWE, but I thought that was all we were supposed to be doing right now. I have these panicky thoughts though about if for some reason he had to go to ps, he'd have no idea what to do. It's not like he's ever composed his own paragraph or anything, and ps kids do so much more creative writing early on. I know the method leads to better things down the way, but I don't want to do it wrong, either!

OK I'm just LOLing bc obviously writing is on my brain...at least once I used "write" for "right" above!!! :tongue_smilie: I look like *I* need a writing program LOL!!!

Thanks. I need to listen to it. Maybe tomorrow. Not sure how lol. Maybe I can go to the gym and listen on the treadmill while the nursery watches the kids...lol.

I didn't notice the misspellings. I was just hopping on here while nursing the baby who happened to wake up not 15 minutes after I went to bed. :tongue_smilie:

I listened to the lecture while doing housework. Then I listened to it again right away. It was that good.:D

Thanks. :) I'll have to try to get to it tomorrow. Getting it into my ipod was half the battle (I bought it what, 2 months ago? More? When they were on sale. LOL.) I never quite remembered to do that when I had both a computer and my ipod and time all at the same time. ;)

Thanks again. Having panicky homeschool mom moments recently, and feeling guilty that I'm just not covering as many things as I'd like to be...and then worried I'm not covering the ones I am properly. ;)

I got to listen to half of this at the gym today, and I do feel much better. I am, however, doing it wrong!!! I think I am expecting too much and not guiding DS enough. This lecture is 'giving me permission' to lead him more, so to speak. Also, what I find interesting is it recommends more copywork and dictation than is provided in WWE at the grade levels, if I heard her correctly. I need to work in more narration and copywork in our other subjects, and a little dictation too. Which means a little change to our style I think, because we usually read cuddled up in bed at night...we can't do a narration and copy/dicate at that moment. Maybe narration and then some copywork the next day? I'm trying to revamp some of our schedule in the coming weeks, but maybe I need to change more than I thought???

Just a quick question...they audio lecture you are talking about...is it A Plan for Teaching Writing or Writing without Fear? (I am assuming that it is one of SWB's from the PHP webpage correct?) We are doing WWE now and I feel like I am missing something...maybe the audio would help me fill in the gap? Thanks.

:iagree:

It really is that simple.

We are in year 4. The copywork disappeared at some point last year? I don't remember when.

Now he does twice a week narrations. I take his narration down onto a white board. Then I dictate the first two sentences back to him. The other two days are dictation days. Those dictations are getting looong baby!

So, right now we are clearly focusing on holding words in his head while he puts them onto paper. There is no pressure to both generate content AND hold the words in his head AND put them on paper yet. He does all of those things but just not all at once. Yet.

It will be ok, I promise.