Menu

Saxon x Singapore math

brasilmom

Greetings,

My dd is 5yo and we are using Saxon 1 this year. I chose Saxon as it was readily available and I liked the idea of an script. Now that we are on lesson 80 and dd is doing well I am wondering if I should consider a different program for her. So, I would like to ask those of you "seasoned" home schoolers your opinion. If I change to Singapore for next year, should I use the first book (equivalent to 1st graders) or move along to 2? Does that make sense? If I change and go to the 2nd grade book, will there be a gap from Saxon 1 that will be a hinder?

Any thoughts you can share is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

Is there a particular reason you're looking to switch? I ask because if Saxon fits you both well, then switching to a different program with a different style is risking changing to something that WON'T fit you well. Also, each math program has its own scope & sequence so you would either be taking a step back or jumping a bit ahead.

Basically, if it's not broke, don't fix it. Many, MANY of the parents here have regretted jumping from program to program, wasting money and creating gaps along the way. Saxon works for many families! I would only consider switching if it was fundamentally a bad fit for you or your dd.

Thank you both for the input. In reality, it is not "broken". As for being a good fit, I guess it is a variable. I do not mind the "script", however, my child needs a bit more visual concepts. Say, when doing the double plus one facts, she was able to finally grasp the concepts with the idea of neighbours. The same as with -1. If I give her a visual, then she gets it immediately. I find the Saxon too boring. Now, I have never seen a Singapore book, so I may be misleading myself. The reason I like the Singapore is for the reviews and descriptions of the program I read on the Rainbow book and other alike. I am checking with my local support groups if anyone has a copy I can see. It may help me and my dd decide then. I will check out the site to learn more. I am just happy I have some time before I have to make a final decision.

Thank you both for replying to my question and bringing new thoughts to mind.

Be well

Miriam

If you do decide to switch...

I haven't used Saxon, but I gather from the boards that it would not be typical to go from Saxon 1 to Singapore 2A. Especially given the age of your ds, I'd start at 1A. Singapore has a pretty distinctive method and it starts in 1A. I started my very mathy ds in 1A last year even though none of the material was new so that he would get the method. It only took him a few weeks but it was quite valuable IMO. 1A is deceptively easy and the program really ramps up in 1B and 2A building on concepts taught in 1A. http://www.singaporemath.com has placement tests which are the best way to go when switching math curricula.

I love Singapore Primary Math and am glad we 'found' it early on. However, I do know that it isn't for everyone.

I switched from Singapore to Saxon and have loved the change. I liked Singapore, but keep in mind that in the older grades they do not have the step by step solutions manual like Saxon. I am not a super math whiz and I sometimes need that step by step solution (for Saxon 8/7 this year, it is my life support). I like Saxon 3 okay (I have never used 1 or 2), but my real love comes at Saxon 5/4 and up.

Keep in mind that in the younger grades, many people use a grade ahead in Saxon. If you feel that Saxon 1 is too easy, you might consider bumping up to Saxon 3 next year rather than using Saxon 2. If she is math oriented and is doing well, it might give her more of a challenge.

I think Veritas considers Saxon 1 for K, Sazon 2 for 1st, Saxon 3 for 2nd, Saxon 5/4 for 3rd...and so on.

I used Saxon 1 for Doodle's K year, then I switched to Singapore. I started with book 1b. There wasn't much (if anything) that was new learning, but I felt it was a good place to make the transition. We are now in 2a. I have the HIG and text book for 1b if you are interested.

If you do decide to switch...

I haven't used Saxon, but I gather from the boards that it would not be typical to go from Saxon 1 to Singapore 2A. Especially given the age of your ds, I'd start at 1A. Singapore has a pretty distinctive method and it starts in 1A. I started my very mathy ds in 1A last year even though none of the material was new so that he would get the method.

I totally agree, and will work on getting the placement test. I certainly do not want to jump or skip ahead.

Charleigh, I am not a math whiz either, and do worry about the down the road concepts. However, I find that my dd is getting a bit bored. She is very visual and the Saxon could not be more black and white and boring. We are using the Saxon 1 and she is kindergarden.

Doodle, thanks for the input. I will ask around and maybe one of the libraries have a copy for me to look at it and consider. I hope to be able to look at one of the books before making any decisions.

I appreciate all the inputs and thoughts. This board is a life saver.

Be well

Miriam

Doodle, thanks for the input. I will ask around and maybe one of the libraries have a copy for me to look at it and consider. I hope to be able to look at one of the books before making any decisions.

Miriam

I will gladly send you the books I have that I mentioned in my above post. I am finished with them. Just PM me your address if you are interested.