Menu

Name pronounciation help please...

As some of you know, I'm playing name that baby with our dd who is due at the end of May. I need help with pronouncing a couple of names however.

Eliza-would you pronounce this El-eye-za or E-leye-za?

Elise-E-lease or El-ease?

Or would you pronounce them completely different than what I have? These names are on the top of my short list and the only ones I'm having trouble figuring out how to pronounce correctly.

Thanks!!

As some of you know, I'm playing name that baby with our dd who is due at the end of May. I need help with pronouncing a couple of names however.

Eliza-would you pronounce this El-eye-za or E-leye-za?

Elise-E-lease or El-ease?

Or would you pronounce them completely different than what I have? These names are on the top of my short list and the only ones I'm having trouble figuring out how to pronounce correctly.

Thanks!!

Uh-lye-zuh

Uh-leece (I have an aunt with this name.)

:iagree: On the by...Eliza was on the shortlist of names for DD4. I love that name. :)

Yes! I wouldn't have thought of it but a fellow hsing mother that I know suggested it today as a possibility. At first, I kind of shrugged it off (in my mind), but then I really started thinking about it. About 15 mins later I went up to her, thanked her for the suggestion and told her it was offically on my list:001_smile:.

Both are such lovely names!

I have a friend named Elyse, and would pronounce it the way she does: with a long E sound. Ee-leese. IIRC the only other person I 'knew' with that name was on that one '80s tv show. The mom. Alex P Keaton. Mind blank, but pretty sure she pronounced it that way as well. That's what's burned into my head :)

I read "Eliza" aloud, and it also came out with a long E sound. Ee-lye-zah.

But it came up today that I'm the only one to call my friend Michelle this way: Mee-shell. Everyone else calls her Muh-shell. Maybe I'm just partial to that long ee sound LOL.

Uh-lye-zuh

Uh-leece (I have an aunt with this name.)

:iagree:I think in theory I would be thinking of a short E as first syllable (as opposed to a long eeeee sound), but it would come out as more of an "uh". That could be some flaw of South African accent, though. Where are you from, Zaichiki?

:iagree:I think in theory I would be thinking of a short E as first syllable (as opposed to a long eeeee sound), but it would come out as more of an "uh". That could be some flaw of South African accent, though. Where are you from, Zaichiki?

We're in the U.S. -- the aunt with the name Elise is in Florida. I don't think she's *from* Florida, though -- another state. :001_smile:

My sister is an Elise, and we usually say "uh-lease," but I think we say "ee-lease" sometimes too. For the most part it goes by so quickly when you're using it in normal conversation that it's not really noticeable if it's one way or the other. Same with Eliza, I'd imagine. I think for both of them, I'd *say* that they're pronounced with a long "E" sound, but in practice it would usually come out "uh" unless I was speaking slowly or really focusing on it for some reason.

E - liza

E - lise. I have a neighbor named Elise, though, and I would say that we soften that E a bit. Maybe more like an Eh-lise. It's a pretty name.

I am surprised at the people who would pronounce these names with an "Uh." Regional, I guess.

Well, I'm pretty suh-thern, so that doesn't surprise me :lol: