Menu

What's the secret? (slight rant)

I've had a day.

Highlights of this "wonderful" day include:

• arguing, running-around-the-house, slightly crazy children who've needed reprimanding an average of 7 times an hour.
  • spending an hour in the bathroom with a constipated four-year-old while another very upset eight-year-old is opening the door every five minutes to see if she's "done" because she is VERY late for gymnastics. Both said girls are crying.
  • yelling at a mischevious 10-year-old who thought it would be funny to taunt both of his crying sisters in their moments of weakness.
  • blowing my top at a child who, although I'd told him at least 10 times to put on his shoes, thought it would be ok to just hold them in his hands instead of wearing them on his feet.

I've seen those families who seem calm all the time; whose children never disagree with each other or slow the slightest bit of "wound up" behavior. They NEVER disagree or show attitude to their parents. They're always on time wherever they go, the children are neatly dressed and hair perfectly coifed; house is neat and peaceful, and certainly no one is ever constipated.

I want to be one of those people.

After a day like today, I feel like I'm failing miserably.

I've seen those families who seem calm all the time; whose children never disagree with each other or slow the slightest bit of "wound up" behavior. They NEVER disagree or show attitude to their parents. They're always on time wherever they go, the children are neatly dressed and hair perfectly coifed; house is neat and peaceful, and certainly no one is ever constipated.

I want to be one of those people.

After a day like today, I feel like I'm failing miserably.

:grouphug: Sounds like quite the day.

As for "those" people... they don't exist and if they did and you were one of them, you probably wouldn't be here with us. :D Now, that makes everything better, right??

Thanks, you guys. (not that I'm glad your children are unruly too....but I guess misery loves company!)

However, I have to admit...my first thought when I saw the comments were, "Oh yeah....what about the Duggars? That Michelle is perfectly calm all the time, and the girls all have braids....BRAIDS! in their hair."

Drugs....heavily sedating drugs...do you think they're on drugs? (The parents....or the kids....or both?)

Sorry to be a sourpuss...I'm in that kind of a mood tonight.

I had a day like that too. I yelled and ranted this afternoon for about 30 minutes, before collapsing on my bed in tears (door shut!) I felt overwhelmed, exhausted, underappreciated and disrespected by my children.

On a positive note, I told my older that things were going to change, and that every Monday older was getting his very own academic calendar with what I expected him to accomplish each day. If he chooses to slack off, well, that's his choice, and Saturday school awaits....dirol.gif

I will of course be MORE than happy to help, but it is his responsibility to get his work done. Anything not done by Friday will be completed on the weekend. By the same token, if he chooses to complete two days worth of work in one day, then he'll get a "day off". I told him I didn't want to nag him anymore, didn't appreciate him moaning at me about the work, and I was handing over responsibility to him, where it rightly belongs. He already does most of his work independently, so it's not a sink or swim situation, but I still was telling him what to do and then listening to the moan. So now, I am writing it up on Sunday, handing it over and letting him deal with it :tongue_smilie: I am there for him, I support him, I will teach him when teaching needs to be done, will read or provide support, but I will not nag or cajole ONE. DAY. LONGER.

Edited by Halcyon

At my father's funeral, I was begging my friend to take pictures of my family, because all of my children had there hair combed at the same time. I need proof that it really happened. Of course, I had to wake up at 3:00am to achieve the miracle.

A schedule helps us a lot, but there are only so many hours in the day.