Menu

Schedules...

Does anyone do lessons only four days a week...and, then use Friday for "catch-up" and/or the "fun" subjects? I have noticed that I am not getting to the "fun stuff" as much as I would like...art, music, science, history... Teaching math, spelling, grammar, phonics, reading, writing, simple logic...seems to take up the whole day with my three children. I want there to be more "fun!" Sometimes, I think being a former teacher is a detriment to homeschooling...because I feel the need to get it all done!!

I read the "Homeschooling" section on Pioneer Woman's Blog...and, the main contributor, Heather, seems to make everything look so fun! I want to be her! Smiles!

Thanks for letting me vent a little. I'd love to hear your ideas, opinions, and thoughts.

~Holly

This is our new schedule

Math, Spelling, Reading - Monday - Friday

Vocabulary - Monday - Thursday

Grammar - Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Writing - Tuesday and Thursday

Handwriting - not sure where I'm going to put this, as I'm waiting for OT input

Science - Monday and Thursday

History - Tuesday and Friday

Geography - Wednesday

Homeschool Group Park Day - Wednesday

Art is doing through science and geography and the crafts he does with his sister who is 2 and will be doing tot school 2-3 days a week (still not sure what days I'm doing tot school)

I did this much more in grammar stage than I have in logic stage. There's just too much to do to totally skip out on Fridays. We do still take field trips on Fridays, just not every week. And we do use a lot of the day for catch up / finish up, but I have to schedule math and languages on Friday in order to get it all done....

I did this much more in grammar stage than I have in logic stage. There's just too much to do to totally skip out on Fridays. We do still take field trips on Fridays, just not every week. And we do use a lot of the day for catch up / finish up, but I have to schedule math and languages on Friday in order to get it all done....

Thanks! These are my thoughts, also. I just can't seem to justify leaving out the core subjects on Friday. I think part of my problem is a time issue. I don't always stick to "30 minutes" for this subject or "45 minutes" and then move on.

I'll figure it out.

~Holly

We are on our first week of our new 4-day schedule. On the 5th day, I'm planning to do art lessons, science experiments, continuing with our read-alouds, watching documentaries on subjects we've been studying, field trips and attending a board game time at the library.

We do school year round, so my kids are ahead with their math and we never have trouble finishing our other subjects. I think we'd have a harder time getting it all done in 4 days if we didn't continue with a light schedule over the summer. We also do a light schedule in December (math, grammar and read-alouds).

Lisa

Does anyone do lessons only four days a week...and, then use Friday for "catch-up" and/or the "fun" subjects? I have noticed that I am not getting to the "fun stuff" as much as I would like...art, music, science, history... Teaching math, spelling, grammar, phonics, reading, writing, simple logic...seems to take up the whole day with my three children. I want there to be more "fun!" Sometimes, I think being a former teacher is a detriment to homeschooling...because I feel the need to get it all done!!

I read the "Homeschooling" section on Pioneer Woman's Blog...and, the main contributor, Heather, seems to make everything look so fun! I want to be her! Smiles!

Thanks for letting me vent a little. I'd love to hear your ideas, opinions, and thoughts.

~Holly

It would seem to me that it would depend, in part, on the age of your child/ren, learning styles, if they are special needs, grade level and yearly expectations, etc.

I tried this several years ago when my dd was in 3rd grade....taking Friday's off. I don't remember if we lasted the entire year or not OR if I had to add Friday's back due to work not being completed...don't remember. I do remember that I was not able to repeat that schedule. Now, it's true she's special needs and there are specific issues that are challenges that need to be dealt with. She's in 6th grade now and we school everyday. However, TH is our Bible Study day with other homeschoolers and we do not start school until 12-1. I've lowered my expectations from her....I posted a few threads on this very topic. My Dad and Uncle were in public school administration...both retired now, but some of that spilled over onto me. My degree was not in education and with all respect I didn't want it to be. But, I had the tendency to reach the goal. This bothered me so I posted about it. She's coping better and getting her work done better. All the while we are involved in horseback riding lessons together, Bible Study, Science co-op and will hopefully pick up violin again. Oh yes, I think FUN is important. Adults learn through fun, why can't kids?

I'm looking forward to spending more time with her playing, girl talking, movie watching, etc.

We do 4 days a week. Every other week DH has Friday off so we use this day as a family day. Road trips, long weekend family trips, or Dh will do a fun science experiment with the girls and I will "runaway". The Fridays that Dh does have to work we use as either a "catch up day" or a local field trip day.

We also fit in an hour Saturday and Sunday to do some schooling. This is at the girls request because They really like to learn right now at their age. It tends to be a fun activity centered around History or Science.

We try to have a light day on Fridays. We try to only do math and science. We'll do other subjects as needed (if we're behind, or something like that), but I really try to keep Fridays as light as possible. We tend do do school about 40 weeks of the year.

This is closest to what we do, as well.

This coming year I have history scheduled for Fridays, and math. Then it's just the elective (art, typing/computer, and probably health).

What that will look like next year (for everything):

Science -- Mon thru Thurs

History -- Mon thru Fri

Grammar -- Tues thru Thurs

Vocabulary -- Mon thru Thurs

Writing/Misc LA -- Mon thru Thurs

Math -- Mon thru Fri (with hopefully just quizzes/tests on Fridays, if I can make it work out that way)

Portuguese -- Tues/Thurs

Electives -- Friday (art; typing/computer; maybe health)

That's for my (will be) 8th grader and my (will be) 5th grader.