Menu

Characteristics of life???

We're doing Apologia General Science this year, and I'm on the module that lists the characteristics of life. Apologia lists 4 characteristics of life, but when I looked online for some activities, most sites listed seven. :confused: Does Apologia leave the others out for a reason that you are aware of?

TIA!

:confused: Does Apologia leave the others out for a reason that you are aware of?
I'm guessing they didn't include 'evolution' because they don't believe it is a characteristic of life. Neither do I.

BTW, most sites I see have *different* lists, even if they have the same number of characteristics.

Adaptation/evolution was left out for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure why they'd leave out "growth and development" as well as "composed of cells" (sometimes listed as "organization"). Those two traits are on every list I've seen, whether the list had 5, 6, or 7 traits. Some lists also include homeostasis, but others subsume that under "responds to the environment."

Jackie