Menu

Can MFW be done in a WTM logic-stage history way?

...or perhaps not "can it", but what exactly would I be getting myself into with such an endeavor?

I'm torn between the 2; MFW CtG (having only seen samples), and WTM logic-stage history with it's integrated literature & writing.

I love the the idea of MFW - so much is integrated: Biblical history, SOTW, easy schedule already done for me, writing assignments, Bible study...

But whenever I "stray" from TWTM, I tend to remain grasping to it with one hand while also trying to do the other thing, which has, in the past, resulted in overload and burnout. Can't do it all; must pick and choose.

WTM is my ideal standard for academics, and I'm tempted to try to apply it's logic-stage history/lit/writing to MFW. I wonder how much of it is already integrated, and how much I'd be adding or substituting. If it ends up far too messy to mesh the 2, I'll just have to choose between them.

But for now, can anyone tell me if MFW history (CtG through modern times) incorporates the following basic elements of WTM logic-stage history? Which parts are already there, and which aren't?

-read from a core text (is there a core text in MFW? would I have to add use of an encyclopedia?) and list important facts

-use a timeline to mark all dates (does MFW use one?)

-use a globe, wall map, and atlas to locate region(s) of study

-additonal reading from library or from WTM Resources list

-summarize (written) information on 1 or 2 things from the above list of important facts

-outline 1 - 4 pgs. of text 1x per week

-read from a core text (is there a core text in MFW? would I have to add use of an encyclopedia?) and list important facts

For CTG, I'd say the spine is the Old Testament. What a great thing to outline!

-use a timeline to mark all dates (does MFW use one?)

Yes, CTG includes a timeline. You can add to it, if you like, but I wouldn't do something as big as Timeline in the Woods until high school (that is included in MFW's 9th grade).

-use a globe, wall map, and atlas to locate region(s) of study

Yes, mapping is included. MFW is very international in flavor and always has kids understand where they are learning about in the world. CTG has students learn to hand-draw a map of the middle east, and then bases all of its mapping on that one piece of the world. It's very different from the mapping in other MFW years, but it was effective at my house to just keep going back to the same map and comparing the areas we were reading about.

-additonal reading from library or from WTM Resources list

There is a box on the grid for "reading" and one for "book basket" and one for "read-aloud." Suggestions are given for all, but WTM lists can be used just as easily.

-summarize (written) information on 1 or 2 things from the above list of important facts

Some notebook summaries are scheduled in. I added more, since we are big on notebooking at our house.

-outline 1 - 4 pgs. of text 1x per week

The only year MFW schedules actual outlining is year 5, but just like notebook summaries, this is easy enough to add after each reading.

And just so you know, for logic stage CTG is a little more experiential than some WTM'ers prefer. There's lots to build on academically, but to me, it's worth taking the time to do the activities, too. Now that my ds's in high school, I am glad we took time in CTG to make a poster to memorize the 10 commandments, reenact the 10 plagues as a family, and experience the feasts -- no time for any of that in high school!

Julie