Menu

Got any ideas on an algebra curricula?

Here is my problem. We are using Holt Pre Algebra for my 7th grader and it is too easy for him...he can figure out the problems in his head!! So I need to move on to algebra but I'm not sure what to use. I need something that I don't have to explain because right now I'm spending about 2-4 hours each night trying to figure out his math and he is doing the work in about 15 minutes! I'm familiar enough with Saxon to say no to it but other than that I'm out of ideas.

For a student who is very good at math (as your son seems to be) and interested, I can highly recommend The Art of Problem Solving - Introduction to Algebra. The book is written for the student and intended for use without a teacher (although they also offer online classes). It comes with a detailed solution manual that does not just list the answers, but explains how the problems are worked.

My DD used it for 7th grade and my DS is using it now in 6th; we like it very much and will use their curriculum for the rest of their math courses.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
For a student who is very good at math (as your son seems to be) and interested, I can highly recommend The Art of Problem Solving - Introduction to Algebra. The book is written for the student and intended for use without a teacher (although they also offer online classes). It comes with a detailed solution manual that does not just list the answers, but explains how the problems are worked.

My DD used it for 7th grade and my DS is using it now in 6th; we like it very much and will use their curriculum for the rest of their math courses.

:iagree:Life of Fred is very good as well and could easily be used on the side for fun and more application if one doesn't want to use it as their main curricula.

I love AoPS, but it isn't for everybody. I have a talented 6th grader but AoPS does not interest her: her brother, otoh, loves AoPS.

A standard approach to alg text with excellent/thorough in-text explanations as well as fantastic application problems is Foerster. It is my favorite alg text (though for my ds.......AoPS would probably have been my first choice. He has LOVED the AoPS books that he has used.)

But......like I said, my dd has no interest in using their books. However, if she were interested in a math oriented career, I might push a little harder. However, Foerster is a solid program and will not deprive her of going that route if she wants. AoPS is more discovery/exploring oriented.

My daughter used VideoText for Algebra 1 and 2 and I highly recommend it. It was challenging enough that she didn't get through it in 15 minutes, but it was clear enough that she didn't struggle. I find the instruction to be top notch, and she enjoyed it as well.

We're continuing with VideoText this year for Geometry and like it just as well.

We are also using VideoText Algebra and it has been great!

I would say Module A is essentially Pre-Algebra, though.

It is going great for my mathy DS12, and even better for me, his non-mathy Mom.

I love that it has a very detailed solution manual, so I can see step by step what DS should have done, if he gets it wrong. BUT that only helps if DS writes.down.his.work!!!!!!:glare: That is a constant conversation between us.

When he gets something wrong, I have to him have him go back and re-do the problem so he can show me his step by step. Usually it was a simple math error instead of not understanding (duh, why writing down your darn work will eliminate that!!!!!.....can you tell this is a battle at our house!?!?!).

But since I am not teaching the math, and even though I went through Trig in high school and some math in college, I am so not a mathy person, and that is why I wanted something else to teach him. But a quick glance at the lesson book (which shows the same thing as the video lesson) and the solutions manual, and I can catch up pretty quick to help him if he is stuck.

VT is pricey, but you can find used Modules for a decent price. (I'll be selling Mod B next week for about $40 ppd if anyone is interested). They also have it online now.

I plan on going through VT Algebra and Geometry as well. By that point, DS 12 should be finishing 9th grade, maybe 10th, so then he'll do community college math for credit.

I love AoPS, but it isn't for everybody. I have a talented 6th grader but AoPS does not interest her: her brother, otoh, loves AoPS.

A standard approach to alg text with excellent/thorough in-text explanations as well as fantastic application problems is Foerster. It is my favorite alg text (though for my ds.......AoPS would probably have been my first choice. He has LOVED the AoPS books that he has used.)

But......like I said, my dd has no interest in using their books. However, if she were interested in a math oriented career, I might push a little harder. However, Foerster is a solid program and will not deprive her of going that route if she wants. AoPS is more discovery/exploring oriented.

:iagree:

I am exploring AoPS options for one of my children, but I think interest must be coupled with aptitude to successfully use that program. Foerster has been our choice for Algebra I for the same reasons mentioned above.