Menu

Has anyone else read "Unwind" by Neal Shusterman?

I wasn't familiar with it, but I just looked it up in my library's database. Certainly looks interesting, if upsetting. Is it worth reading?

The topic brings to mind Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. That was chilling, as well. I heard there was a movie made from it, but I haven't run across it.

It was interesting and I couldn't put it down. It's not graphic in the least BUT then my mind takes over and makes it such. The idea that society has devolved to a place where it's acceptable to "unwind" children who will then "live on" in other people was a bit much for me as I look at my own family.

The premise seems interesting if you overlook how far fetched it is. I know that abortion is a passionate debate, but I'm having a hard time swallowing that either side would be ok with that as a solution. But I haven't read the book so maybe he manages to make it somewhat believable.

Edited by Mimm
spelling

The premise seems interesting if you overlook how far fetched it is. I know that abortion is a passionate debate, but I'm having a hard time swallowing that either side would be ok with that as a solution. But I haven't read the book so maybe he manages to make it somewhat believable.

The author does a decent job of revealing how the country came to that place.

It was a really interesting book, I thought. I like dystopias. Of course it's pretty far-fetched, but the point is to make you think about certain issues. Very worth reading.

Me too! I loved the Hunger Games trilogy. I recently read Feed by M.T. Anderson and found that interesting once I got past the purposeful butchering of the English language. Of course there is The Road by Cormac McCarthy, The Bachman Books, The Maze Runner, and oh so many others! Right now I'm reading Graceling by Kristen Cashore on recommendation by my neice, the librarian. :001_smile:

Sounds interesting. It just bought it after reading this thread. That "buy with 1 click" thing on Amazon that sends books straight to my Kindle is dangerous! It's too easy to buy things on a whim.

That would be very, very dangerous! My weekly trip to the library keeps me out of the poor house.

I read it in one day. But that one scene. I'm sure everyone who read knows what I'm talking about.

I wished I could erase it from my mind.

After reading that book I really started to edit what I read and saw. I know for things I think might be questionable look it up in advance - or ask someone if it's okay for me. I think I'm overly cautious now, but better safe then sorry.

Yeah.... I picked it up yesterday afternoon as was done with it shortly after dinner.... And that's the scene that haunted my dreams last night. (shudder)

I found it deeply disturbing. I know it's a YA book but looking at it through a parents' eyes was a bit much. I actually had a nightmare about it last night. Eek!

I just read the detailed synopsis at Wiki--

I cannot imagine giving this to a "young adult" reader, which in our library is basically a teen, anywhere from 12 on up.

As a non-young?:D adult, I'm not sure if I'd want to go thru a book like this, although I really do like dystopian literature and some science fiction.

But I guess I really shouldn't answer your question, since I didn't read the book!