Menu

Kudos to Latin Prep and how do you use the workbook?

Well, I went ahead and ditched Latina Christiana I and purchased Latin Prep. We just finished chapter one and I am so happy we made the switch. It is exactly what I was looking for. I feel like my two oldest know and understand more now than they did in 18 weeks of LC. My oldest is really enjoying all of the translation and said she feels like she is actually getting to use Latin now...feels that it has some purpose instead of just memorizing chants and vocab lists. She actually breezed through the lessons before I could even teach them. My younger struggles a bit with it and I am having to actually work through the lessons with her but the book is so clear in its explanations that I'm not feeling stressed or at all lost, as I did with LC. We actually just had a lot of fun trying to see who could translate the sentences first. We closed the book on a really high note and dd11 asked if we could fit in another lesson tomorrow. :D That never happened with LC.

My question is, how do you use the workbook? Do any of you use it as kind of a quiz or evaluation of how well they learned the chapter? It took us a week to go through the chapter and I was thinking that we could spend next week cementing the vocab, having fun creating our own sentences to translate and then on Fri use the workbook to finish off the chapter and for me to see if we have any holes or need more work. What do you think?

We sometimes do the whole chapter and then the workbook and sometimes the workbook after the chapter is complete. I do find it takes us much more than a day, even more than a week to do a chapter in the workbook.

I think your plan sounds great, but LP moves fast so you may find you need to slow down at some point.

We sometimes do the whole chapter and then the workbook and sometimes the workbook after the chapter is complete. I do find it takes us much more than a day, even more than a week to do a chapter in the workbook.

I think your plan sounds great, but LP moves fast so you may find you need to slow down at some point.

Maybe we could do a bit per day after completing the chapter. I do think the book will take dd11 longer than it will take dd13. My oldest could have finished the chapter in one sitting but I made her slow down. I can't keep up with her...she seems to have a knack for languages as it is and this curriculum seems to be a perfect fit for her.

Thanks for the advice!

I received our Latin Prep books today. I was looking through the text and it looks so fun! We were using Latin for Children Primer A previously and I'm so glad we switched! :)

My daughter was bored out of her mind with LfC. :glare: I know it's a good fit for a lot of people, just not us. LOL

I was wondering if anyone here has used the CD for Latin Prep? Is it necessary? I only ordered the text and the answer book (as I read a recommendation on here for doing that -- saying that the workbook was not necessary). But I couldn't find any info about ordering the CD or not.