Menu

If you are using two math programs I could use your help!!

calledtobehome

Here is my situation. I started out with Singapore 1A Standard Edition with my 7yr old son last year for first grade and Early Bird for my K son . Well my K son flew through the early bird and it took my oldest an entire year to complete 1A. I thought if we keep going this rate he would been behind. I talked to my hubby and we decided this year to start both boys 1st grade and 2nd grade in MUS Alpha. Now I wish I would have just started my oldest in SM 1B and my youngest in 1A . They both seem to like MUS alot especially the blocks and they get the concepts. I would really like to add SM back into our schedule but I'm not sure if it's going to be too much! I really liked the way SM had them calculating math in their heads and had them thinking.

How should I schedule SM with MUS Alpha???

I don't use MUS; we do SM with Miquon (and now ds#1 will be doing SM with Life of Fred). The first thing I realized I needed to do was chose one to be our main math curriculum and the other to be our "supplement" curriculum. The main one is where I'm most worried about being on-target, grade wise. So, Singapore is our main curriculum. Ds#1 just stared 4A (he's 1/2 year behind because of when I started him ... similar to your situation), and ds#2 just started 2B (right on target).

Ds#1 does SM 4 days a week; on Fridays, he does one chapter from Life of Fred. For now, LoF is our supplemental math program. Ds#2 does SM 3 or 4 days a week (I alternate); on Th & F (or just F), he works through Miquon. I do not try and make the programs line-up concept wise. Sometimes he (they) will see something new in Miquon, sometimes Miquon will be review. I like how both programs introduce topics (and love the "feel" of LoF and the way math is taught with it), so I wanted to keep more than just SM. So far it's working. Ds#2 will start SM 3A before our year is over, even though he's only doing 3-4 days a week. He'll also make good progress through Miquon (though I'm not concerned with him finishing a book in any particular amount of time.

Hope that helps. :)

The first thing I realized I needed to do was chose one to be our main math curriculum and the other to be our "supplement" curriculum. The main one is where I'm most worried about being on-target, grade wise.

Ditto this.

Which program do you want to be your main program? Look over MUS (which I'm not familiar with) and Singapore and decide which one you want to stick with as your main program for this year and the next.

I use several resources, but if I worked equally through all of them......we'd never finish a program on time. So, Singapore is our main program. It was Math Mammoth last semester, but dd hated that. I switched and started her in Singapore 2A right before Christmas, so we are also "behind." I'm not concerned. Singapore is advanced. And, beyond that, if dd truly understands the concepts....it doesn't matter. I do plan to keep going through summer. I figure going those 2 1/2 months that most kids are off, will just about get us caught up. We don't do full summer school, but math and reading keep going.

Anyway, Singapore is our main program. We do a lesson every day. We pull in MEP a few days a week (we're only on week 4 of this.) Math Mammoth if I need extra work. Right Start or other games (Sum Swamp, War, etc...) for fun.

We use R&S as our main program and I wanted to add in MM but couldn't figure out how to do it without going crazy. I started putting a packet of MM blue series in each child's folder and they sit with me for 15 min. a day and do as much as gets done in that 15 minutes. You wouldn't believe how much can done in 15 minutes when there is no pressure to get a certain amount done.

I'm using Math mammoth as my main program and MEP as a supplement. So far (this is our first week), I've had him do one section of MM followed by one worksheet from MEP. This is just how math works, as far as my son knows. Right now both programs are a bit easy, so we may have to break it up as things get more challenging (I'm about to skip ahead in MM as it is obvious the topic in this chapter is well understood). I'm mainly keeping on track (or ahead) with MM, and if we don't have time for something, we'll skip MEP if we need to.

In your case, maybe you could use Singapore as your main program, then watch the MUS videos on the side? (just guessing here, as I haven't seen MUS in person)

We do math 5-days a week using both Singapore and Horizons. They do both programs every day. Singapore is our main program, and I follow the schedule in the Teacher's Guide (or whatever it is called). We supplement with Horizons. I do not make my boys do all of the problems in Horizons, and if it is something they have completely mastered, I will cross out that section completely. On the weekends, they do Singapore CWP.

HTH!

Krista