Menu

A very big question about Children's books

You don't ask much do you?:tongue_smilie:

Preschool/Kindergarten age:

Winnie the Pooh

A collection of basic nursery tales (Little Red Riding Hood, Little Red Hen, The Gingerbread Boy, 3 Billy Goats Gruff etc.)

Caps for Sale

Millions of Cats

The Cat in the Hat (even though I despise this book, I think it is culturally important to know)

Mother Goose

Goodnight Moon

Little House series

Harry Potter series

Narnia books

The Hobbit

Grimm's Fairy Tales

Perrault's Fairy Tales

Fairy Tales collections of as many cultures as you can find

Greek and Roman myths

a version of the Bible

A History of US

Mother Goose Poems

That's a very very short essential list.

Julie, that's an impressive list! Thanks.

Here are some of my ideas- not in any order:

Mother Goose Rhymes

Fairy Tales

Aesop's Fables

The Island of the Blue Dolphins

From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

Hans Brinker or the Silver Skates

The Secret Garden

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

The Call of the Wild

The Borrowers

Curious George

Harry Potter series

Tales from the One Thousand and One Nights

Rip Van Winkle

All of a Kind Family

The Black Stallion

Nate the Great

Frog and Toad books

And at least one book from each of the following authors:

E. B. White

L. M. Montgomery

Beverly Cleary

Robert Louis Stevenson

Dr. Seuss

Laura Ingalls Wilder

C. S. Lewis

Jules Verne

Roald Dahl

There are so many great picture books, too, but those would be difficult to list.

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler
Forgot One

You don't ask much do you?:tongue_smilie:

Preschool/Kindergarten age:

Winnie the Pooh

A collection of basic nursery tales (Little Red Riding Hood, Little Red Hen, The Gingerbread Boy, 3 Billy Goats Gruff etc.)

Caps for Sale

Millions of Cats

The Cat in the Hat (even though I despise this book, I think it is culturally important to know)

Mother Goose

Goodnight Moon

Caps for Sale was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I was so excited when my ds1 picked it out at the library.

No, I can't list any that *every* child should read, quite honestly. There are plenty of wonderful books out there, a zillion lists of all kinds, and combined with each person or family's tastes and interests, will result in a unique reading experience.

Sorry, don't mean to be a party pooper, but these lists sometimes end up feeling like a cookie-cutter school curriculum which I'm trying to avoid. I know we can all pick and choose from the lists and create our *own* lists, but sometimes those loom over us like a benchmark of success or failure or "should have"--at least for me--instead of letting our studies and delights lead us to great literature. No offense intended. :)

A partial list:

The Chronicles of Narnia

The Little House series

The Wizard of Oz

Anne of Green Gables

Pippi Longstocking

Treasure Island

The Secret Garden

Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales

Grimm's fairy tales

Native American stories

Oh the THINKS You Can Think! (and other Dr. Seuss books, but I like this one particularly)

James Herriot's Treasury for Children

Blueberries for Sal

Raggedy Ann Stories

The Phantom Tollbooth

One Thousand and One Arabian Nights

Greek & Roman myths

Charlie & the Chocolate Factory

Fantastic Mr. Fox (and other Roald Dahl books)

The Wind in the Willows

The House at Pooh Corner

The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

Misty of Chincoteague

Beverly Cleary books (esp. Henry Huggins and/or The Mouse and the Motorcycle for boys, Ellen Tebbits and/or Emily's Runaway Imagination for girls)

The Jungle Book

The Wind in the Willows

The Legend of the Bluebonnet

The Railway Children

Stuart Little (and everything else by E.B. White)

The Poky Little Puppy

Sarah, Plain and Tall

Corduroy

A Child's Garden of Verses

Where the Wild Things Are

poetry by Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky

books by Geraldine McCaughrean

The House Above the Trees

King of the Wind

Edited by Aurelia

No, I can't list any that *every* child should read, quite honestly. There are plenty of wonderful books out there, a zillion lists of all kinds, and combined with each person or family's tastes and interests, will result in a unique reading experience.

Sorry, don't mean to be a party pooper, but these lists sometimes end up feeling like a cookie-cutter school curriculum which I'm trying to avoid. I know we can all pick and choose from the lists and create our *own* lists, but sometimes those loom over us like a benchmark of success or failure or "should have"--at least for me--instead of letting our studies and delights lead us to great literature. No offense intended. :)

I do understand what you mean. I don't want my kids to feel pressured to read everything on a certain list. I'm interested in what major books have influenced our childhoods and stayed with us as adults, and are part of a collective consciousness of our culture.

I picked up, 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up from Amazon recently and my friends have too. We don't always agree with what we find but it has been a good jumping off point for us for library trips. And I've discovered authors and genres and books that I had previously dismissed for whatever reason, read the synopsis and then decided if we should try the books anyway.

I've discovered that my DD has fallen in love with a prolific author by the name of Paul Goble. She has taken to NA myths right now. And searching for a book led me to Patricia Polacco, another prolific author who writes really, good stuff but has less "pizazz" than the superstar authors out there now.

And the book has been helpful to me in breaking out of my cultural norms. I didn't know what a "tar beach" was until we read well, Tar Beach. DD has also fallen in love with an author named Niki Daly and her character Jamela. And nope, that wasn't a book I would have gone searching for DD. I never would have known how DD could so easily relate to that naughty little kid sometimes. :001_huh:

I would have also called it quits at Anderson and Grimm and then never gotten into French and Italian folktales and comparing them and laughing about the comparisons. ("Mommy, do Italian people like anything else beside FOOD??")

We're homeschooling a 5 and 6 year old. They both love anything by William Steig, Leo Lionni, and Norman Lear cracks us all up!!

We all hated much of Randolph Caldecott's poetry. We like the House that Jack Built but the poem about the parents dying and the evil uncle who then murders the kids left us all confused. Who the heck could have read that to their kids and then tucked them into bed, even 200 years ago? "Go to sleep, kids and let's hope Mom and Dad don't die because if we do, Uncle Max will pay a couple of hunters to stab you so he can get your trust fund." Now go to sleep." :glare:

Although, we did like his pictures so there was that.

And a story that utterly fascinated my kids was Charles Dickens' The Magic Fishbone. It's a great story!

Jen

• 4 weeks later...
I picked up, 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up from Amazon recently and my friends have too. We don't always agree with what we find but it has been a good jumping off point for us for library trips. And I've discovered authors and genres and books that I had previously dismissed for whatever reason, read the synopsis and then decided if we should try the books anyway.

I've discovered that my DD has fallen in love with a prolific author by the name of Paul Goble. She has taken to NA myths right now. And searching for a book led me to Patricia Polacco, another prolific author who writes really, good stuff but has less "pizazz" than the superstar authors out there now.

And the book has been helpful to me in breaking out of my cultural norms. I didn't know what a "tar beach" was until we read well, Tar Beach. DD has also fallen in love with an author named Niki Daly and her character Jamela. And nope, that wasn't a book I would have gone searching for DD. I never would have known how DD could so easily relate to that naughty little kid sometimes. :001_huh:

I would have also called it quits at Anderson and Grimm and then never gotten into French and Italian folktales and comparing them and laughing about the comparisons. ("Mommy, do Italian people like anything else beside FOOD??")

We're homeschooling a 5 and 6 year old. They both love anything by William Steig, Leo Lionni, and Norman Lear cracks us all up!!

We all hated much of Randolph Caldecott's poetry. We like the House that Jack Built but the poem about the parents dying and the evil uncle who then murders the kids left us all confused. Who the heck could have read that to their kids and then tucked them into bed, even 200 years ago? "Go to sleep, kids and let's hope Mom and Dad don't die because if we do, Uncle Max will pay a couple of hunters to stab you so he can get your trust fund." Now go to sleep." :glare:

Although, we did like his pictures so there was that.

And a story that utterly fascinated my kids was Charles Dickens' The Magic Fishbone. It's a great story!

Jen

Thanks for this lead.

I picked up, 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up from Amazon recently and my friends have too.

And the book has been helpful to me in breaking out of my cultural norms. I didn't know what a "tar beach" was until we read well, Tar Beach.

Jen

Thanks for these great recommendations.

I'd heard of Tar Beach, but had forgotten about it.

Magic Fishbone looks delightful. We LOVE Dickens! :D

I do have a list of our favorite picture books and chapter books.

PICTURE BOOKS:

Amos and Boris

Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare

Wagon Wheels

The Boy Who Held Back the Sea

Tye May and the Magic Brush

Miss Rumphius

Roxaboxen

The Story of Ferdinand

Alexander Books

Dandelion

Martha

Miss Twiggly

Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters

Lassie

Angelo

Berlioz the Bear

The Worry Stone

Sylvester and the Magic Pebble

The First Dog

Mandarin Ducks

Uncle Jed’s Barbershop

Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt

Brave Irene

Stone Soup

A New Coat for Anna

Cranberry Thanksgiving

The King’s Equal

Chanticleer

Doctor De Soto

Fritz and the Beautiful Horses

Two Bobbies

Gilgamesh

Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie

Tut’s Mummy

James Heriot’s Treasury for Children

Anything by Bill Peet

Drinking Gourd – An I Can Read Book

Curious George: Journey WW2 Book - can't remember the name - excellent

CHAPTER BOOKS:

* Charlotte’s Web

* Anything by Thornton Burgess - these books are SUPERB. They teach so much about life. They're animal-based stories and are very deep. My dc have loved these

* The Doll People, The Meanest Doll in the World, great series

* The Racketty-Packetty House by Frances Hodgson Burnett

* Humphrey the Hamster series

* Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant

* Tale of Despereaux

* Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

* Elmer the Dragon series

* A Llama in the Family

* Narnia series

* Indian in the Cupboard

* Harry, the Poisonous Centipede

* Roald Dahl books

* Beverly Cleary

* Freddy Books - we have the Freddy Anniversary Collection and the dc loved that.

* Owls in the Family

* Detectives in Togas (as well as its sequel)

Island of the Blue Dolphins

To Kill a Mockingbird

Tom Sawyer

Diary of Anne Frank

Greek and Roman myths, plus some Norse

fairy tales

Little House series

Hobbit/LOTR (if they really dislike the books at least watch the films!!)

The Good Earth

Harry Potter series

Dr. Suess

Perter Pan

poetry anthology

Little Britches (at least first three books)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

Huckleberry Finn

A Christmas Carol

Of Mice and Men (older teens)

Just tossing out my favorites - I agree with most of what others have already posted.