Menu

Is this a new trend in photos?

Uh-oh, I tried to check the www.antiduckface.com and got this message

You think we did it? :lol:

We have the power! We must use it humanely...but imagine tomorrow's headlines. Classical Homeschoolers Shut Down Internet.

As for antiduckface, I was partial to West Coast Canadian Duckface (the caption, not the photo, which was fairly unremarkable).

Well, I looked. I've never noticed that before, but now it is driving me absolutely crazy! I kept flipping through the pictures expecting to see my niece. Finally I just went to her FB page. Yep, all her photos look like that. Drives me CRAZY!!

I'm heading back under my rock...

I'm not trying to compete with Nakia or anything, what with her mad photo-snappin' skillzzzz, but, I consider this my Magnum Opus. I call it:

The WellTrainedDuckFace:

That's some classic duckface there! :lol:

Yeah, I hate that pose, but I don't know how recent it is. I know it has become epidemic as of late, but I had a college roommate back in the late 80's-early 90's that did that in her pics all the time. :tongue_smilie: She would have fit right in on that website, in more ways than just the duckface.

I'm not trying to compete with Nakia or anything, what with her mad photo-snappin' skillzzzz, but, I consider this my Magnum Opus. I call it:

The WellTrainedDuckFace:

:lol: This is the best, yet!!! Truly hysterical! I have been really enjoying these posts! I can tell this is going to go on all night! I better get to sleep.

As I was brushing my teeth before bed tonight I pondered this phenomenon. I wonder if they are trying to look serious. When I take a pic of myself (dh asked me to when he was deployed) I tried not to smile because smiling causes wrinkles to show.....of course, I doubt that college and high school age kids are worried about wrinkles, so I'm probably wrong. :001_smile:

The WellTrainedDuckFace:

OK, this is just awesome! I vote we all take a pic of ourselves doing the duck face with the stupid peace sign and change our avatars on the board.:lol::lol::lol:

The WellTrainedDuckFace:

:lol::lol:

OK, this is just awesome! I vote we all take a pic of ourselves doing the duck face with the stupid peace sign and change our avatars on the board.:lol::lol::lol:

YES!!!!

Well... I was going to share my story of going to a mini-reunion with some of my DH's school friends, and how (ahem) amusing it was to see a bunch of 40-somethings all bunching up like college kids, with their pouty faces, and yicky cleavage and beer bottles, taking pictures for Facebook. I can almost excuse the cutesy college girls doing it, but at the time I was thinking, "Does anyone really want to see this?!" :001_huh:

Of course, I'm sure the WTM ducks will be just precious. :lol::lol::lol: The picture above made me literally LOL. Now I just need to dig out my denim jumper and root beer bottle and practice my mirror photography and pouts! :D

We live in an area with VERY conservative families. It is odd to me to see these girls with dresses (they can't wear pants), long hair (can't cut their hair), no makeup, and sporting the sideways peace sign and pouty lips thing. They try to strike a "cool pose" too.

The WellTrainedDuckFace:

Uh-uh! I just spit out my coffee! Should have known better than to open this thread while sipping on my morning java. :lol: LOVE the look, by the way!

The WellTrainedDuckFace:

:lol::lol:

After I get my hair done in a bit, I will make a duckface pic and post it. I think Heather had a great idea!!!

I just checked 15YO relative's profile pic. (She has a whole folder full of duckface and tongue-out pics.) Let's see...mouth open, tongue sticking out, eyes heavily lined and staring at some point in the distance and not at the camera, which she is obviously holding. She added text at the bottom that says, "You'll think of me..." Yes, dear, but we won't think of you what you think we're thinking of you!

Edited by WordGirl

I'm not reading all these posts, but put it down for me too that I hate this. I go online to Facebook and see my neice and her boyfriend constantly with their tongues out. Him especially. It is soooo gross. And it's for all to see. Nobody has class anymore.

I just briefly looked at http://www.antiduckface.com and laughed so hard! If you decide to click, be prepared for some foul language. I learned a new word: jackassery. I think I will use that one often. :D

Ahhh! I had to do a double take. One of those girls looked just like one of my dd who unfortunately frequently makes this face for pictures. Luckily, she knows not to do that in family photos. :glare:

The Trout Pout is really weird on youths since that's the "too much plastic surgery" look.

The sideways peace sign is gang sign wanabe.

I know. When exactly did a peace sign become a gansta symbol? What a strange metamophisis. First a V for victory then a V for peace and finally a V for gangsta? :confused:

Okay, can I shamefully admit that I just tried to pull off a "WellTrainedDuckFace" and realized that it is HARD??? Oh my gosh, my lips hurt so much from trying to hold them out until the camera clicked. :lol: (and also, even more embarassingly, the first picture I tried to take didn't turn out... because I hit the "power" button on my camera by mistake. I'm so hip.)

Okay, can I shamefully admit that I just tried to pull off a "WellTrainedDuckFace" and realized that it is HARD??? Oh my gosh, my lips hurt so much from trying to hold them out until the camera clicked. :lol: (and also, even more embarassingly, the first picture I tried to take didn't turn out... because I hit the "power" button on my camera by mistake. I'm so hip.)

Sounds exactly like something that would happen to me. :lol:

Don't be ashamed. That pic I posted was the fourth in a series. The others shall never be released until after I get all rich and famous and someone wants to embarrass me.

You are right, the face is HARD to do.....as well as pointless. :tongue_smilie:

I tried, but my lips are too big. I can't pull it off. :lol:

I realized after I took my series of pictures and looked through them all trying to find a "good one" that DUH, they're NOT going to be "good"! The whole point of this thread has been poking fun at how ridiculous all these duck-faced people look! Trying to find an attractive duckface picture is a true exercise in futility. :tongue_smilie:

I could do without the tongues in the all the photos.

I asked Dh if he thought this method of attracting a mate would have worked back in the late 80's. He said not in his opinion.

Perhaps I should consider a new avatar? Nah, I don't think ol' Albert was trying to attract a mate. You did get me to wondering why I will happily tolerate the pose with a renowned genius with a sense of humor as opposed to young half-wits mimicking a pose assumed by thousands of other young and not-so-young half-wits.:001_huh:

What is with the under-25 crowd?

They either have their lips puckered in a sad attempt to look sexy (?) or they have their tongues hanging out.

They'll be sorry when, at 35 or so, they want to burn the evidence but they realize it's DIGITAL and every one of their 2000 facebook friends has a copy of the file!

:tongue_smilie:

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

ROFL! I was just thinking this same thing the other day!

Perhaps I should consider a new avatar? Nah, I don't think ol' Albert was trying to attract a mate. You did get me to wondering why I will happily tolerate the pose with a renowned genius with a sense of humor as opposed to young half-wits mimicking a pose assumed by thousands of other young and not-so-young half-wits.:001_huh:

Please keep Mr. Einstein. I love an original.

The teenagers can't compete!

Phew! I am rather fond of Albert.

However, along the same lines as duckface, is anyone else with seniors getting senior portrait advertising where the girls put P!nk and Amy Winehouse to shame. Don't get me wrong, I love both these ladies but am not quite sure about senior portraits that look like their videos. I am talking about some serious "Come hither" looks topping eye-popping lycra tank tops and ample cleavage. Are these photos for friends and there is something more traditional for grandma? Do parents really foot the bill for those shots and then do dads take them to the office and share them with co-workers.:001_huh:

Edited by swimmermom3

Silly as it may be, I really cannot talk. I had Madonna wanna be hair, ripped net gloves, and blue and green eye shadow at some point in my teen years. I wore leggings with glitter and long dangling crosses in photos.

A few years before (and after), I had nothing put Izod shirts, khaki pants, popped collars, and penny loafers.

In my senior photos, I'm wearing a burgundy feather stole and 2 lbs of Aqua Net Extra Super Hold. I'm not thrilled that my friends are scanning and uploading ANY of those photos :ohmy:.

In college, I went to WHAM, Depeche Mode, LoveNRockets, Jimmy Buffett, and George Strait concerts all the same year on dates -- thank goodness those pictures have not surfaced :blush5:.

What I am saying is, I think we ALL tried to LOOK cool....and what we thought looked cool then, really was dorky -- my goodness -- JUST SAY the 70s.

'Nuff Said.

:auto:

• 2 weeks later...
What is with the under-25 crowd?

They either have their lips puckered in a sad attempt to look sexy (?) or they have their tongues hanging out.

They'll be sorry when, at 35 or so, they want to burn the evidence but they realize it's DIGITAL and every one of their 2000 facebook friends has a copy of the file!

:tongue_smilie:

My dh and I were just talking about this today. I don't get it. But I'm seeing some 40 and under as well. Sad.

I think we've got a completely obssessed with "beauty" (whatever the cultural definition of that is at the time - probably established in this culture by the likes of Calvin Klein and ilk).

I'm fairly no-nonsense. I wear make-up when I want to, I refuse high heels period....sorry...no man in the world or any measure of societary acceptance is worth aggravating my ankle injury...and so forth.

But, there is a HOST of things that will do for One man...that dh of mine! For our anniversary trip to Chicago I polished my nails and toes for the first time in maybe 20 years! (Didn't even do it for my sister's wedding.) Got highlights in my hair.....gasp! Bought some new make-up and purchased and dress and shrug in colors I never would have considered wearing before because I knew he'd like it. It wasn't all once sided either. He got a haircut that I knew would look fantastic but that he would have been otherwise disinclined to ever have done. He actually put styling mousse in his hair and styled it! He wore his tux, new color dress shirt (normally will only wear white so Gray/Silver was a big deal.) That kind of thing. We looked GOOD! That said, it wasn't for anyone else...just for us.

There is a lot of money made the world over based on taking advantage of cultural inferiority complexes and insecurity. Just imagine what would go out of business if men and women, as whole societies, "grew-up" and didn't buy into it anymore. By by Este Lauder, Mary Kay, Porsche, BMW, Harley Davidson, Calvin Klein.........

Faith