Menu

Help

We resumed our school this week after a two-week break at Christmas. Each school session this week has been pretty terrible. She cries, stamps her feet, calls me stupid, refuses to do school, etc. I have tried to stay calm and relaxed, but I just finished threatening to take away every fun thing we've planned to do over the next few weeks. For us, the sixes have been worse than the twos. She challenges everything, plus she is not sleeping much either. She'll wake in the night and stay up reading. Any suggestions are appreciated. I really believe in homeschooling and when it works it is fantastic, but I'm not sure how to make it work right now. Thanks.

How much school are you doing with your 6 year old? 6 is young. Could it be she is frustrated with the load of schoolwork?

Make her get sleep. Sleeping is a necessity. Take away the books at night.

Is she eating a good breakfast?

Follow through on your discipline. Remain calm, but if you say she can't go on a playdate because of her attitude, don't let her go.

Hang in there! :grouphug:

Lack of sleep is probably contributing to her attitude, even so, she is choosing to be uncooperative and difficult - frustrating you and wasting your time in the process. Therefore, lay the responsibility with her ;)

Stop threatening to take away her things and actually take them away! Put them up in a box until she's earned them back with proper attitude and effort over an extended period.

Give her extra chores that will ensure she's good and tired for bedtime.

If she writes well. . .here's a paragraph I created for my own children. They have at times been well versed in writing it repeatedly when they need a reminder. . .

How I behave is my choice.

My tone and body language show respect or disrespect.

I am responsible for how I speak to others.

I can choose to speak calmly and respectfully.

I can treat others in a kind and loving manner.

I can cooperate promptly and in a cheerful manner.

I can choose behavior that honors God, myself, and those around me.

I can show respect for my parents and my siblings.

When I make poor choices, I know there will be consequences.

I am a Child of the Lord Most High.

It is up to me to be the best I can be.

Most importantly, follow through on your "threats" and be consistent. Give her "busy work" and send her off to sit by herself until she can do better and appreciate the time and energy you are devoting to her.

Edited by *~Tina~*

My oldest has trouble sleeping, but he also shares a room so there is no turning on a light to read, etc.....he just needs to lie there until he falls asleep again.

The backtalk (calling you stupid, etc...) needs to stop. I would explain to her that she is allowed to use her words to explain what she is frustrated about, but she is not allowed to call names.

Dawn

How much school are you doing with your 6 year old? 6 is young. Could it be she is frustrated with the load of schoolwork?

:iagree: I wish I could go back in time and slap myself silly for doing some of the things with my son when he was that age. I learned the really hard way that just because a child can do something doesn't mean he should be doing them. He wasn't mature enough for what I was trying to do for him. He was reading years ahead of his grade level as well as doing higher math than others his age and I saw that as needing to challenge him.

Make sure the level of work is appropriate. Extremes can be really frustrating for some kids. My kids hate work that is too easy because it's seen as stupid and a huge waste of time. I must agree. And work that is too challenging is a lesson in frustration. A child not developmentally ready for certain topics simply will not be able to do it. Period.

I also agree with stopping the empty threats. She's old enough to know that game.

We resumed our school this week after a two-week break at Christmas. Each school session this week has been pretty terrible. She cries, stamps her feet, calls me stupid, refuses to do school, etc. I have tried to stay calm and relaxed, but I just finished threatening to take away every fun thing we've planned to do over the next few weeks. For us, the sixes have been worse than the twos. She challenges everything, plus she is not sleeping much either. She'll wake in the night and stay up reading. Any suggestions are appreciated. I really believe in homeschooling and when it works it is fantastic, but I'm not sure how to make it work right now. Thanks.

I will start new either today after lunch or tomorrow.

Ease back in and have a "fun" reward to do together for good attitude & cooperation at the very end of the school day.

Like:

a game of war (the card kind)

a game of Uno

a puzzle

etc...

I wouldn't threaten to take away stuff that is weeks down the road. When you dd is in the throes of a meltdown, stuff that is weeks away would probably not be strong on her radar.