Menu

Is Anybody Familiar with They Say/I Say: The Moves that Matter in Academic Writing?

I ran across an interesting looking book at Amazon called They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing by Gerald Graff and Cathy Birkenstein. While it's going to be presumably a while before my kids would be ready for it, I'm wondering if it would be a good resource for me to read to prepare myself.

Is anybody familiar with this?

I bought my copy at the suggestion of someone here at WTM (maybe Charles Wallace?) and plan to use it this summer with my son, who is now in 8th grade. The book provides specific techniques a writer can use to integrate his point with that of others. Looks interesting.

I am about to finish up my BGS (finally) and have used this book in several of my English courses. The text is interesting and somewhat non-academic, which is good for preventing boredom. I loved the templates the authors suggest, since I tend to struggle with beginning an idea. I would highly suggest it for high school students. I really think this is a textbook worth reading through at least once a year.