Menu

Why do so many parents get ANGRY when their kids have a snow day???

In my area:

prep for and volunteer an hour outside the home (some people volunteer on their family time afterschool rather than during school hours): story hour at the library, food pantry at church, meals on wheels, cub scouts, church youth group, classroom volunteer, etc

personal health: devote 2 hrs to working out, take care of medical and dental appts

household chores and grocery shopping

research and manage investments

prep for the before or afterschool lessons

check in on elderly relatives or take them grocery shopping or to appts or just be their company and lend an ear

invest in personal education

Public elementary school only is in session 6 hrs here add 20 minutes for transport. It's only app. half the year - 180 days minus about two weeks off for half days and conference days.

:)

yes.gif

It is curious to me that so many people assume that the absence of children means the absence of responsibility when it's clear, based on the number of "how do you do it all?!" threads posted here, that there is an awful lot that homeschool families allow to slide in and around their homes.

Edited by Crissy

Wait. You mean they aren't checking their online forums, watching Oprah, eating bons by the pool, doing the pool guy, or telling each other how much they wish they'd never had kids? ;)

Really? I know when my kids were in school, doing the pool guy came first.

In my area:

prep for and volunteer an hour outside the home (some people volunteer on their family time afterschool rather than during school hours): story hour at the library, food pantry at church, meals on wheels, cub scouts, church youth group, classroom volunteer, etc

personal health: devote 2 hrs to working out, take care of medical and dental appts

household chores and grocery shopping

research and manage investments

prep for the before or afterschool lessons

check in on elderly relatives or take them grocery shopping or to appts or just be their company and lend an ear

invest in personal education

Public elementary school only is in session 6 hrs here add 20 minutes for transport. It's only app. half the year - 180 days minus about two weeks off for half days and conference days.

:)

Edited by LibraryLover

When the schedule/pattern for children is to go to school during the day everyday, it can be very disruptive to have that schedule change. No matter how much the parents might enjoy their kids at home during the weekend -- they are not expecting it during the week, and their kids are not expecting it.

So there is some last minute scrambling to do to figure out how to fill the time that is usually scheduled. And not every kid responds well to changes in plans.

This thread is making me :lol:. I've been on both sides of this question. I heard lots of questions over the years about hs'ing. If folks were trying to be argumentative, I'd end things quickly, but I'd always answer sincere questions...legal stuff, curriculum, lesson plans, what about the prom, what about college, what about socialization.... And, most times, we finally got around to the real question after wading through all of the above. After a few times I could usually see it coming. Did folks really want to know about making transcripts or co-op classes? Nope, what they could not wrap their minds around and were almost afraid to ask was how a sane human being could stand being with the dc 24/7.

That said, the four years ds went to public school the days passed quickly and the household was more organized--a LOT more. Scheduling a dr appt. for me or doing minor upkeep/repairs was a lot simpler, too. I'm still working on the backlog and ds has been officially graduated since spring of 2009. In my defense, though, I've also been helping aging parents since then, but am beginning to think I'll never get those closets cleaned or the bath repainted.

yes.gif

It is curious to me that so many people assume that the absence of children means the absence of responsibility when it's clear, based on the number of "how do you do it all?!" threads posted here, that there is an awful lot that homeschool families allow to slide in and around their homes.

No kidding, right? The biggest difference between now and when I was homeschooling is that my house is cleaner!:D I still have plenty to do, even with 4 in school all day and 1 in half-day PK. Going to the grocery store is easier!:lol:

Go ahead and flame me, but I think this thread is a little bit icky.

Just because someone is unhappy about a drastic last-minute schedule change doesn't mean they are uncaring, unfit parents in need of our finger-wagging pity and tsk, tsk-ing.

If I was not accustomed to having my kids home all day and didn't have a routine in place for managing everyone's many all-day-long needs, I might dread a snow day, too. Wouldn't you?

As home-schoolers, we have an advantage in the snow-day scenario, and I don't think we should be looking down our noses at everyone else.

This might be just where I'm at geographically, but around here it's considered gauche to enjoy being around your kids. You are expected to whine and carry on about how awful parenting is and how you can't get through the day without at least a couple glasses of wine.

It took me a long time to figure out this mentality and I just avoid those people.

I think it's clear that mothers at home with kids in school form sticky rice into little animals for bento boxes.

www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233973

:thumbup:

By homeschooling, I actually avoid the responsibility of getting my kids up dressed and out the door on time. :tongue_smilie:I also can have them grab lunch meat out of the fridge instead of planning cool bag lunches.

This might be just where I'm at geographically, but around here it's considered gauche to enjoy being around your kids. You are expected to whine and carry on about how awful parenting is and how you can't get through the day without at least a couple glasses of wine.

It took me a long time to figure out this mentality and I just avoid those people.

Here too.

Wait. You mean they aren't checking their online forums, watching Oprah, eating bons by the pool, doing the pool guy, or telling each other how much they wish they'd never had kids? ;)

:lol:

Bwa ha ha! Don't you mean d*ing?

I have observed that the less a parent is with kids for lengths of time, the less likely they are to have developed the skills needed to stay happily with kids for hours.

I've also observed that these threads in homeschooling settings quickly become "I love my kids more" and "I am a better parent" threads.

My experience, as life has taken me out of the traditional homeschooling mom realm, is that the gap closes over time. Issues of infant care, medical choices, quality of education, supervision, activities - diminish in importance and I see more similarities between families and family styles than I see differences.

I've seen loving, connected, engaged families from a variety of settings.

There is a post earlier in the thread about not having had alone time in years. :confused: I find this *as* concerning as the apparent lack of welcome in parents not wanting a snow day.

I've seen loving, connected, engaged families from a variety of settings.

There is a post earlier in the thread about not having had alone time in years. :confused: I find this *as* concerning as the apparent lack of welcome in parents not wanting a snow day.

Ah, read Joanne's posts and take in the reasonableness. :cool:

Or are we going to start arguing the worth of sah public school moms.

:iagree:

:iagree:

Bwa ha ha! Don't you mean d*ing?

:lol::lol::lol: No, that would be "making teA with the pool guy" ;)

I really hate these threads. Honestly, do we not have enough to do that we need to sit around doing this? (Sorry, THA, I'm not really directing this at you, but at those who participate in this kind of thing in general.) Haven't we all been subject to this kind of criticism? If public school parents came to this board, don't you think they'd be wondering what the heck WE do all day? People post their vents here all the time about how hard HSing is, and how they're struggling with loneliness or their kids' attitudes or their own depression or problems in their marriage because of HSing. Don't we think that PS parents might wonder why the heck we bother HSing then if having our kids around all the time is so difficult?

Haven't we had people in our real lives who keep trying to foist responsibilities off on us because all we do is sit home all day because we don't even have the responsibilities that PS parents have to deal with? Have SAH parents not been working their butts off for years to care for their families and homes and selves, just like we are?

We bash PS moms for not doing enough, working moms for letting other people raise their kids, other HSing moms for not being rigorous or being too rigorous with outrageous expectations, other parents for potentially being honest when they say they don't believe they could HS their kids... Can't we just leave people alone and let them have their feelings?

ERGH!

ETA that I forgot to say: We often tell people here who are considering sending their kids to school because they are burned out or overwhelmed that having kids in school is just as troublesome and time consuming as HSing. I've seen many of those threads over the years trying to support the frustrated HSing parent. Are we just trying to make ourselves feel better, or do we really think that having kids in PS is truly that much easier?

Edited by melissel

I can only speak from my former life and my experience as a WOH mom with a child in PS and another in a daycare that ran on the PS schedule...

If school was closed so was the daycare which meant I needed to find someone to watch my kids (after the cancellation was posted AFTER 5:30 a.m. on the day of cancellation due to the union contract of the bus drivers). This was pretty much next to impossible. When DH was in the Army, he could not take a day off. After he retired and became self-employed, not working meant not getting paid. This meant I was the one who needed to take the day off... So I had to call in and then proceed to cancel and reschedule the appointments of 16-20 patients who were expecting to be treated that day.

It's not that I didn't want to be with my kids. It was the logistics of the whole situation that needed to be dealt with emergently before I could enjoy the snow day!

yes.gif

Yep, I remember when I used to be hurt by people asking me what I DO all day. :glare: Ironically, it was here where I was first exposed to the what a sahw was "worth." I wish I had a copy of that list now (cooking, cleaning, taxi service, &tc).

I think it's clear that mothers at home with kids in school form sticky rice into little animals for bento boxes.

www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233973

:smilielol5:

:iagree:Doesn't it snow in Finland? Norway? Sweden? Denmark? Iceland? Russia? Germany?

It snows all the time in Maine and Michigan, right? If they can handle it, why don't the rest of the "snow-potential" states get their acts together?

I wonder how many snow days the students get in those snowy countries?

Where i live, you could plow all day, everyday and it wouldn't matter. Navigating straight roads in the snow is not a big deal. Navigating curvy, icy mountain back roads in snow is a whole 'nother story. Scary doesn't begin to describe it. Also, our county doesn't seems to scrape or salt back roads. They manage to clear the main roads to "passable" and then people have back roads from their homes that are impassable. I won't even begin to talk about the horrific driveways up here in the mountains! I have friends that are stuck for days - sometimes WEEKS due to the snow.

Still, though, the mothers that are complaining about snow days on my FB have no jobs! I can be sensitive to moms with jobs needing child care. I get that. It is just those who very obviously hate having their kids around that bug me.:glare:

yes.gif

Very true. I am much LESS busy now than I was when my kids were in school and I was getting my degree. This is relaxing in comparison. :)