Menu

I confess. Feel free to play along.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will also confess that just last night I couldn't sleep (thanks anxiety!). So, when I heard dd13 cough at about 1 AM, I went in her room and woke her up saying "awwww, can't sleep with that cough? Want to come downstairs with me?". Really, I just didn't want to be alone:001_huh: it is possible this us not the first time I have done this.

I'm sometimes afraid that someone is hiding under my bed if I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom so I rush out of bed quickly so he can't grab me.

My husband cannot sleep with the closet door open in the room. He says that the closet monster will get us.

I confess that I am not frightened one bit to be home alone at night. And I love M. Night Shamalayn (or however that's spelled) movies. LOL

What I do find creepy is the housekeeping staff at work. I have no idea where they find these people, but two of them, especially, set off my inner alarms.

Also, sometimes if a car has been behind me for awhile and I'm getting close to home, I will start to take detours to make sure they aren't actually following me.

Oh my gosh, I do that too! :) Especially if I'm close to my house, I'll drive past it and turn back out onto the main street and go the other way so they won't see where I live. lol

I'm also terrified of roaches...every time I see a roach (or other big bug) I make a loud noise and have to talk myself into squishing or spraying it. I jump up on furniture. I shudder with horror. And I have trouble calming down for the rest of the evening. Once, I called my boyfriend to come kill a roach for me..at some wee hour of the morning. He actually did it, too -- drove 20 minutes to kill a roach. *And* he married me, still...I have an awesome husband. ;)

Wow!! He is awesome! I'm with you on the roach thing. When I was little our house was infested with them. I used to sleep under my sheets with every possible crevice tucked in under my body for fear of them crawling on me in the night. shudder. I am pathologically afraid of a palmetto bug flying at me and getting caught up in my hair. Just thinking about it makes me want to faint.

Seriously, ya'll are wussies. I'm roflmdo. And I'm afraid of heights.

Me too. I literally start to shake and tremble all over if I go up to high and I have to crawl the rest of the way. I confess that I am a wuss! hehehe

Oh, and to go in a totally different direction?

I have a crush on Jamie.

From Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series.

Yes, on a fictional book character! :D

I spent a week hopelessly in love with Jim Halpert on The Office when he confessed his love to Pam and cried. He's not a real person, either.:tongue_smilie:

I literally start to shake and tremble all over if I go up to high and I have to crawl the rest of the way. I confess that I am a wuss! hehehe

When I was about fifteen, I was climbing a spiral staircase in a mall, which had gaps between the steps, so it was possible to see through. I literally froze up about halfway up. Somehow I managed to get to the top though. *shudder*

When I was about fifteen, I was climbing a spiral staircase in a mall, which had gaps between the steps, so it was possible to see through. I literally froze up about halfway up. Somehow I managed to get to the top though. *shudder*

Wow! I had a similar experience in a mall as well. I was climbing up the stairs after my mom and older brother had already gone up and were waiting for me at the top. I went a certain number of steps and then I couldn't go any higher. I was shaking all over and couldn't budge. My mom was yelling at me but I just couldn't do it. She was so frustrated that she had to come back down with my brother in tow and we took the escalator instead, which was almost as bad because I was afraid of the escalator too. I was afraid it would cut my feet off. Thanks Mr. Bill. :glare:

If I wake in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I always run to the laundry room to throw in another couple loads thinking I will be greatly blessed by the time the next arrives. And I usually am blessed since it's a couple less loads I have to deal with during our schooling.

HMMM confession time!!

I will gag if I watch a movie and I see someone kissing someone else when I know the character hasn't brushed their teeth. (westerns and period shows). Also, the new trend to have men always unshaven leads me to think that they haven't brushed their teeth either!! SO what makes other women swoon, makes me gag.

I was teased unmercifully as a teen because I confessed I was in love with John Denver. His songs just move my soul. The greatest regret of my life is that I passed up the chance to meet him.

When I moved away from home (I was 20), I had a dog and a cat. I couldn't go to sleep without telling someone goodnight. I aways said goodnight to my dog. After a while, SHE couldn't sleep until I told her goodnight!!! I still cannot sleep unless the cat is curled up next to me. When I wake in the middle of the night, I'll pet the poor cat until he finally bites me and moves to the living room.:D

Lara

I confess that even thought I am well into my 30's I still walk into the dark bedroom at night and do a superman leap into bed so that my bare feet are never near the edge of the bed. The monster's underneath might grab my ankles. My husband who is already asleep in bed at this point is not a fan of my superman leap.

Oh, and to go in a totally different direction?

I have a crush on Jamie.

From Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series.

Yes, on a fictional book character! :D

So do I to an absolutely crazy extent. When people are so gaga over Edward in Twilight I think to myself. Hmm...they must never have met Jamie. Jamie is a real man. LOL!

Think of this: Does he bathe daily? Does he wear antiperspirant and deodorant? How often does he wash his hair?

I don't care what DG says in the books -- I think he is probably stinky and sometimes has lice and fleas.

Actually DG refers to him being smelly on many occasions and Claire as well. LOL

I am LAUGHING about the kissing/gagging thing...my last pregnancy I could not EVER see characters kiss on tv or a commercial...instant puking. Weirdest pregnancy aversion ever.

Edited by LaissezFaire

shower curtains can not be pulled back around me, I never know what is behind them. I have replaced our shower curtain with glass doors. My kids one is bunched together, twirled and looped over the rail. If I am at someone else's house, I open the shower curtain, do my business, wash my hands and close the shower curtain before I leave the bathroom. I am totally scaried of them.

My husband and I each have one person that we are allowed to kiss if we ever meet them. Mine is Ewan McGregor. I think he is so sexy, and he can sing!

I confess that even thought I am well into my 30's I still walk into the dark bedroom at night and do a superman leap into bed so that my bare feet are never near the edge of the bed. The monster's underneath might grab my ankles. My husband who is already asleep in bed at this point is not a fan of my superman leap.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: That is hilarious! hehehe

I am deathly afraid of sharks, and continuing that thought - the ocean. Because it has sharks. Probably because I read (the book) and watched JAWS when I was 9yo. I won't even swim in a dark unlit pool. No lakes. Good old clear cement ponds for me!

I also sleep with a panda teddy bear that I owned even before meeting my husband. We've been together 23 years I might add.

Eating kid's chocolates? I didn't know I needed to confess that one - I thought ALL moms did that as part of motherhood.:001_smile:

I am also claustrophobic in bathrooms!! I never close the door at home amd try to always use the handicapped stalls in public. I think it has something to do with skiing as a chiild and having to put on 1000 layers of clothing in a 2x2 stall in a ski resort bathroom. Makes my stomach clench to think of it!

Lara

I used to be really scared of killing bugs. Mainly because I was sure the rest of their family was going to find them and be out for vengeance. Also because I failed at killing them often and then they would hide somewhere in my house. :glare: And because once I tried to kill a big one and it made a loud crunching noise. That was pretty much the last straw.

For years I made my dad and then my husband kill any bug I came across. This worked until one day DH was at work. I grabbed a drinking class, put it over the bug, duct taped the glass to the floor, and left it there until DH could deal with it. It was big and I did not want it lose in my house!

When I was pregnant I was pretty much on bed rest for 7 months. I found it more comfortable to sleep on a couch in our basement then in our bed, but I was scared to sleep in the basement. It's dark and the strange night time noises are stranger in a basement somehow. I would toss in turn in our bed or be scared and awake in the basement all night long.

DH offered to move down to the basement with me to sleep even though he's 6'5 and our couches are not. I still said yes and slept much better after that. :tongue_smilie:

Guest CarolineUK

Being home alone at night doesn't bother me at all anymore, I think because I'm always so exhausted at the end of the day I just fall asleep before my head hits the pillow - or maybe it's because I'm nearly 47 and just maybe I've finally grown up. Or maybe not, because I do confess to believing that certain members of the family I married into are possessed with demonic powers, which is just ****ed ridiculous when you think about it, but helps me justify to myself why I avoid them.

The dark and demonic can appeal to me though because as far as crushes on fictional characters go, I confess to being in love with Snape from Harry Potter, or maybe it's just Alan Rickman (even now that's he's older and saggier).

Many many moons ago I heard a news report about a serial killer that hid under women's cars and slit a paralyzingly nerve on the back of their ankle as they were getting into their car. Then he would crawl out, climb in the car and drive off to do his evil.

Ever since then if I'm getting into a car late at night, I sometimes get a flash of that memory and then look like an idiot because I kind of reach way over to open the door and sorta jumpy hop in. I've often smacked my head on the top of the door frame in the process.

:lol::lol::lol: Mental picture here

I rarely get scared anymore being alone in the house, etc...

BUT, that being said...

The most frightened I have been as an adult was when I was reading The Miracle Detective by Randall Sullivan. It is about Medjugorie and other apparations and how the RCC investigates the claims.

The author wrote about a time he was sitting outside somewhere in Rome when he looked up and saw Satan watching him. Satan was dressed to blend in with everyone else. Sullivan just knew Satan was there to mess with him. I think he said Satan winked at him or nodded his head, something to indicate that Satan knew that Sullivan knew it was Satan.

I was terrified for weeks every time I thought of it. I couldn't go to the bathroom at night without shaking.

I confess that sometimes after all the kids are in bed, I put some cookies in the oven just for dh and I to eat in bed.

I have several friends who have commented how cruel it is that my kids go to sleep to the smell of cookies they will never taste.

Think of this: Does he bathe daily? Does he wear antiperspirant and deodorant? How often does he wash his hair?

I don't care what DG says in the books -- I think he is probably stinky and sometimes has lice and fleas.

:lol: I don't even care!

I do this! Also, when I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, going back to bed sometimes freaks me out because I'm afraid something is under my bed and is going to grab me by the ankles. Sometimes I leap into bed so the monster can't reach me on my way in. When dh gasps because I startled him awake, I lie there pretending to be sound asleep. If dh is gone (extremely rare) I have, at least a few times, held it (pee) in until the sun rose in the morning.

LOL! Yeah this and whoever said the "Superman leap"- I have totally done this, too. And every now and then before I get into bed, I will have an overwhelming urge to get down on my hands and knees and look under the bed to make sure nothing/no-one is under there. Never mind that my bed is very low to the floor and probably no-one could FIT under there except maybe my 5 y/o son.

I also am starting to get a little freaked out here!

I confess that sometimes while I'm in the shower I fear the Psycho killer is in the bathroom with a knife so I RIP the shower curtain open quickly to find nobody there. I always feel silly about that.

Oh... shower curtains and shower doors- hate those. I am frequently peeking out of mine while I shower to make sure a psycho killer hasn't entered the bathroom while I'm in the shower!

Seriously, ya'll are wussies. I'm roflmdo.

I know. :blushing: :lol:

I'm sometimes afraid that someone is hiding under my bed if I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom so I rush out of bed quickly so he can't grab me.

My husband cannot sleep with the closet door open in the room. He says that the closet monster will get us.

I've been known to peek inside closets before getting into bed, too, to make sure nothing is hiding in them.

I am deathly afraid of sharks, and continuing that thought - the ocean. Because it has sharks. Probably because I read (the book) and watched JAWS when I was 9yo. I won't even swim in a dark unlit pool. No lakes. Good old clear cement ponds for me!

I have a bit of shark phobia, too. I'd NEVER want to go scuba diving or anything like that! On a cruise we went on these waverunner things and I just kept thinking the whole time "omg there are probably sharks under me" and I couldn't wait til it was over.

I used to be really scared of killing bugs. Mainly because I was sure the rest of their family was going to find them and be out for vengeance. Also because I failed at killing them often and then they would hide somewhere in my house. :glare: And because once I tried to kill a big one and it made a loud crunching noise. That was pretty much the last straw.

Oh my gosh, yeah. I HATE bugs but I will NEVER be the one to kill one!

Oh and Martha I was laughing at the smacking the head on the car thing, too. Sorry. LOL.

And here's one more confession: I can't dance. At ALL. I dread being invited to places with DJ's (even weddings) where I might be expected to dance. :P

I am deathly afraid of Ferris Wheels. Two years ago we were at Knott's Berry Farm and I had a complete crying meltdown on the Camp Snoopy Ferris Wheel. :001_huh: That's the kiddie-sized one for those that don't know. That was the longest ride of my life.

I also will not lean down into my bathroom sink and wash my face as someone might smash my face into the faucet like they did to Dr. Greene on ER. :o

:lol: It feels so good to know I'm not alone!

I spent years terrified of going to sleep while dh was on night shift. And he spent yeeeears on night shift. I even took my 6 month old son with me to sleep at my in-laws house a few times because I was so freaked out. Most nights, I sat, tensed up and on alert, in bed listening for sounds of an intruder. Some nights, I would be so anxious that all I could hear was the blood whooshing behind my eardrums. This freaked me out worse because I knew I wouldn't be able to hear the intruder unless I could calm down.

Finally, about two years ago, I spent several nights like this and was just EXHAUSTED. I laid there too terrified to let my guard down enough to go to sleep but too exhausted to stay awake. And then I reasoned with myself: "What's the worst thing that can happen if my fears come true?" Well, I die. "And then?" Well, I get to be with Jesus. :D Putting those options in front of me: sleep and possibly be with Jesus by morning or stay awake terrified and possibly be with Jesus by morning, I opted for sleep.

I've had to remind myself of the choices a few times, but my anxieties melted away that night. Whew!

Sometimes when I'm driving alone at night I start thinking about all those movies with a bad guy hiding in the backseat. I flip on the lights to make sure I'm alone.:tongue_smilie:

Once when I was driving at night and zoned out I remembered all those aliens snatching humans and wonder if time stopped while I was snatched from my car and taken to the mother ship for experimentation.

Yeah, I know why too much sci-fi in my life.

I am deathly afraid of Ferris Wheels. Two years ago we were at Knott's Berry Farm and I had a complete crying meltdown on the Camp Snoopy Ferris Wheel. :001_huh: That's the kiddie-sized one for those that don't know. That was the longest ride of my life.

I don't like them either, but then again my mom told me a story about how years ago one of her cousins (or was it her cousin's kid? I don't know, somebody in her family) went on a ferris wheel with his pregnant wife and two year old kid and the thing opened and the wife and the two year old fell out. The wife lived and somehow didn't lose the baby. The two year old died. The parents ended up divorcing. And the husband killed himself. Cheery story, huh? Needless to say I've never felt any burning desire to put myself or my kids on a Ferris Wheel ever since my mother shared that particular family tragedy with me!

I am a lot more brave when I'm the only adult in the house and the kids are here. Still...

In the dark, I close doors quickly behind me, facing the door, because of the possibility of a long, thin, creepy hand reaching around the side.

If I go into the bathroom after the lights are out, I must stand just to the side of the mirror, ideally turned slightly to my side so I can kinda see behind me, just in case something appears there.

Bedskirts are good for more than just decoration. They also keep monsters under the bed. Monsters (and creepy hands) are unable to move the thin fabric of a bedskirt. Thankfully :lol:

No doors may be open in my bedroom at night, at least not where I can SEE it's open.

Yes, I use a night light.

On the weekends, my ex uses the minivan to take the kids and I drive his car. He ALWAYS has the interior light turned off so that I ALWAYS have to turn it on so that I can make sure there aren't any dangerous men lurking in the back.

I don't like dark, icky places like unfinished basements, caves, or anyplace with scary furnaces.

Elevators are a bit creepy to me. Less so than they used to be, though. As I teen, I really didn't like them. I had been on very few. I worked at a two-story library and made trips up the stairs when possible, rather than taking the cart. One time I HAD to use the elevator and because I hadn't used it much, I pushed the down button to go up, thinking, "I'm down now and that's where I need the elevator to be for me to use it." So I got in and pushed "2". It went down first and opened to the aforementioned creepy, DARK (no one was down there), unfinished, stone wall basement. **shiver** Evil elevator.

Popping balloons make me jump a mile. You will NEVER see me pop one on purpose and I get REALLY uptight if I see someone about to pop one! Yep. I'm afraid of balloons.

Edited by myfatherslily

The last time we were on an elevator, I had my hands full with the baby, bags, hanging onto the toddler, etc, and I said to my 8yo, "Hold the door open for Daddy," who was coming along behind us. So she stepped in between the doors---AND THEY CLOSED ANYWAY! She screams, I drop everything in my hands but the baby and pry the doors apart with my superhuman strength and pull her out. Needless to say, she is now terrified of elevators. I'm not too comfortable with them either.

The last time we were on an elevator, I had my hands full with the baby, bags, hanging onto the toddler, etc, and I said to my 8yo, "Hold the door open for Daddy," who was coming along behind us. So she stepped in between the doors---AND THEY CLOSED ANYWAY! She screams, I drop everything in my hands but the baby and pry the doors apart with my superhuman strength and pull her out. Needless to say, she is now terrified of elevators. I'm not too comfortable with them either.

YIKES!! I don't blame her! Poor baby!

Popping balloons make me jump a mile. You will NEVER see me pop one on purpose and I get REALLY uptight if I see someone about to pop one! Yep. I'm afraid of balloons.

This. So glad someone else admitted to it!

What really bites is my kids have caught on to it, and will torment me, chasing me around the house with a balloon. Thankfully, they tend to do that when Wolf's home, and he comes to my rescue...snickering the whole time. :glare:

lol I'm not afraid of balloons but I have a little bit of a rubber band phobia. If someone even pretended they were going to "shoot" a rubber band at me I would get really upset, and if I have to use a rubber band on something, I will only use one that has PLENTY of room to stretch or I'd be afraid of it snapping on my hand while I was using it.

:lol: My kids keep looking at me and wondering why I am bursting out laughing every 30 seconds. I'll have to come back to this thread later. I admit to at least a half-dozen of the same "quirks" and only got through page 3. :blush: It's good to know I'm not the only fake-grownup around!

It's okay Ibbygirl. You can sleep with a blankie at any age.

LOL I know that's true, but I said that more because I wish I were 29 again, not because I wanted to sleep with a blankie. ;) :D I never did have a favorite blankie when I was little, but I did have a certain teddy bear that I couldn't sleep without, but he's long gone now. My mom conveniently left him behind on one of our vacation trips because he was so old and ratty. :tongue_smilie:

Sometimes when I'm driving alone at night I start thinking about all those movies with a bad guy hiding in the backseat. I flip on the lights to make sure I'm alone.:tongue_smilie:

This did happen to a friend of mine. He did Very Bad Things to her, and she's never been the same since. So, yes, I a little paranoid and frequently check the backseat and flip on the lights.

On a lighter subject, sometimes when all the kids have gone to bed I'll do a little hoppy dance going down the stairs. There's an extra jig at the end if DH fell asleep putting someone to bed, because that means I have the house to myself! Bwaa-haa-haa!