Menu

I confess. Feel free to play along.

Sometimes, when I'm carrying a basket of laundry up from the basement, I get one of those creepy "something/someone's behind me" feelings and I run up the last few steps and quickly slam and lock the door behind me, feeling quite silly all the while. And sometimes when my husband's working late, every little noise will get me kinda spooked. And I really can't go to sleep til he's home. I don't like being home alone (i.e. without another "grownup") in the house at night. I'm 37 years old but sometimes I don't feel all that grown up!

There you have it.

Do you have anything you want to "confess?" :D

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and see that the bed is a mess (bottom not tucked in, uneven distribution of blankets on one side of the bed, wrinkly sheets,etc.), I will straighten the sheets and take all of the blankets off to remake the bed. My husband loves this:lol: Yes, I am aware that it is a slightly OCD trait!

You're SO not alone (figuratively speaking). When my DH is gone for weeks/weekends on business trips, I have been known to put door mats against doors at night so they won't open far... just in case someone tries to shove them open. And when the dogs randomly bark at 12:30 a.m. those nights (because of COURSE they never do this when DH is home), I'm up till 3 biting my nails.

And sometimes when my husband's working late, every little noise will get me kinda spooked. And I really can't go to sleep til he's home. I don't like being home alone (i.e. without another "grownup") in the house at night. I'm 37 years old but sometimes I don't feel all that grown up!

I feel the exact same way - and my DH works nights EVERY night. It's funny, because right now my mom is visiting, so I can go to bed when I get tired, and not HAVE to wait for DH to come home :rolleyes:. I'm "safe" because my 70 year old Mom is here to protect us all and beat off the bad guys :blush:.

I also hate when I *am* the only 'grownup' home, and there is a noise or something, and my kids will get spooked but then feel safe when they crawl into bed or the couch with me. I feel like such a fraud - as I am probably almost as freaked as they are, but I have to act like "everything is fine, no big deal." :blush:

In our house I grew up in I would not go downstairs at night. It was creepy. In our former house I didn't feel alone. I would systematically turn on lights if I had to work my way across the house. If dh was gone I would not sleep with my back to the bedroom door.

Our new house has a completely different air. I have even gone into the basement at night without issue. I haven't done that in forever.

Confession? I haven't left my house in a week. Dh is off work, I've been sick and I hadn't even thought of why I need to leave. I think it's part of the hibernation process. :lol::lol:

Confession? I snore, loudly. Apparently I drive dh from the bedroom. (I have sinus issues) But that's not the confession. We downsized from a King bed to Queen bed in this house, there is no room for a king. I don't like the queen size. So when I wake up in the middle of the night and dh isn't there I spread out and enjoy the bed all to myself. I tell myself he sleeps better in the living room anyway.

Sometimes, when I'm carrying a basket of laundry up from the basement, I get one of those creepy "something/someone's behind me" feelings and I run up the last few steps and quickly slam and lock the door behind me, feeling quite silly all the while. And sometimes when my husband's working late, every little noise will get me kinda spooked. And I really can't go to sleep til he's home. I don't like being home alone (i.e. without another "grownup") in the house at night. I'm 37 years old but sometimes I don't feel all that grown up!

There you have it.

Do you have anything you want to "confess?" :D

I'll just second your confession. Although, I've had to learn to sleep alone at night because my husband's been on 3rd shift, not by choice, for about 2 or 3 years now. And if it makes you feel any better, I'm 38, so you are not alone.

I confess that I'm creeped out with my toilet. I always check to be sure there aren't snakes or spiders coming up from the bowl. I read a story about a snake slithering up the plumbing somewhere and it has messed me up ever since. And once we flushed a HUGE spider down the toilet and it popped back out after the flush! (shudder!) :eek: I actually found a green tree frog under the bowl one morning and almost fainted and now my 'checking' issue is even worse.

I love these! I'm either laughing or nodding along with most of them.

Oh and a week or so ago my husband had to work unusually late and didn't get home til something like 2:30 AM or so.

I decided to let my 10 y/o come lay in bed next to me so we could both read and I decided to just let her fall asleep in the bed next to me figuring even a 10 year old for company would be less creepy than being in the room by myself. (That would make me about as safe as the other poster's 70 year old mother, right? LOL). (My teen was visiting her dad and his family out of state).

Then I started getting sleepy (after 10 y/o dd fell asleep) and I wanted to doze off. But it would just be in the back of my mind that anybody could just walk in the door of my bedroom while I was sleeping. (As if that was going to happen).

So I decided I would shut and lock my bedroom door.

But then I got nervous that my 5 y/o would wake and I wouldn't hear him. (Not unusual for him to wake at some point). So I went and got him and carried him, still sleeping, into my room, laid him on a bed of blankets on the floor, shut and locked my bedroom door, and texted my husband to let him know that he would find the door locked and the kids shut in with me when he got home and that he should "tap lightly and try not to scare the heck out of me" when he got home.

His response?

"You're funny."

Sigh. It didn't feel funny, it felt kinda pathetic...but I did manage to fall asleep feeling rather secure that particular night :lol:

Edited by NanceXToo

I confess that I'm creeped out with my toilet. I always check to be sure there aren't snakes or spiders coming up from the bowl. I read a story about a snake slithering up the plumbing somewhere and it has messed me up ever since. And once we flushed a HUGE spider down the toilet and it popped back out after the flush! (shudder!) :eek: I actually found a green tree frog under the bowl one morning and almost fainted and now my 'checking' issue is even worse.

because of a similar fear, i turn on the lights if i have to go in the middle of the night. . .

I was horribly fearful for most of my life, including my adult life, when I was home alone. I did do some things when I moved into my first apartment in Baton Rouge to try to take control and those things did help me somewhat with regard to fearing harm from other humans. I continued to have the "creepy" sorts of feelings, however. I finally sealed my home a year or two ago and I no longer have such difficulties....

Many many moons ago I heard a news report about a serial killer that hid under women's cars and slit a paralyzingly nerve on the back of their ankle as they were getting into their car. Then he would crawl out, climb in the car and drive off to do his evil.

Ever since then if I'm getting into a car late at night, I sometimes get a flash of that memory and then look like an idiot because I kind of reach way over to open the door and sorta jumpy hop in. I've often smacked my head on the top of the door frame in the process.

Sometimes when I'm driving alone at night I start thinking about all those movies with a bad guy hiding in the backseat. I flip on the lights to make sure I'm alone.:tongue_smilie:

ROFL! I just check the back seat/trunk before I get in. :lol:

Then I instantly lock the doors and put on my seat belt as fast as I can and try to do it without looking because if I'm not looking at the windows for more than 1/3 second, someone might appear out of nowhere and tap on them.

ROFL! I just check the back seat/trunk before I get in. :lol:

Then I instantly lock the doors and put on my seat belt as fast as I can and try to do it without looking because if I'm not looking at the windows for more than 1/3 second, someone might appear out of nowhere and tap on them.

I do check the seats before I get in - but somehow that doesn't stop me from getting that creepy feeling later. :001_huh:

One night when I was about 15 my mom came home and she looked totally freaked out. She said when she stopped at a stop sign while getting off the interstate some guy tried to open the passenger door.:w00t: My dad called the cops and they couldn't find anyone. It has added to my "boogyman" fear.

I read this to dh and he said it sounds justified to him!

I do the same in the shower for spiders. I hate spiders.

Many many moons ago I heard a news report about a serial killer that hid under women's cars and slit a paralyzingly nerve on the back of their ankle as they were getting into their car. Then he would crawl out, climb in the car and drive off to do his evil.

Ever since then if I'm getting into a car late at night, I sometimes get a flash of that memory and then look like an idiot because I kind of reach way over to open the door and sorta jumpy hop in. I've often smacked my head on the top of the door frame in the process.

Me too! :) My mom told me this story some 15 years ago and I still play it in my mind every single time I am in a Wal Mart parking lot late at night.

Confession: Every year we have one little mouse that makes its way into our house. Normally we kill it pretty quick and its done. However last year that bugger was smart! Late at night when I would nurse dd on the couch I would see him run under my cabinets. It creeped me out so much (not to mention made me mad too!) that even now a year later, when I get a drink of water late at night I will curl my toes when standing in front of the sink, just in case a mouse runs over them! LOL we haven't even had a mouse this year!

I read this to dh and he said it sounds justified to him!

I do the same in the shower for spiders. I hate spiders.

Me, too! I hate spiders...I hate all bugs... I always check the shower before getting in to make sure there are no spiders... I'd have a full blown heart attack I think if a huge spider got flushed down my toilet and popped back out after the flush!

Me, too! I hate spiders...I hate all bugs... I always check the shower before getting in to make sure there are no spiders... I'd have a full blown heart attack I think if a huge spider got flushed down my toilet and popped back out after the flush!

And the washing machine! I've heard too many stories of snakes in them and I hope no one is ever around to tape me on those days where I am remembering those stories.:D

spiders can not emerge from underneath a large heavy bound volume of text. One another reason to keep your real books, a Kindle would never kill a big spider.

spiders can not emerge from underneath a large heavy bound volume of text. One another reason to keep your real books, a Kindle would never kill a big spider.

Yeah but then I'd never be able to pick that book up ever again. I'd be POSITIVE that as soon as I picked it up, the spider would POP up and come running directly at me with all eight legs waving in some evil, vengeful, you just tried to kill me kind of way and I'd die of heart failure on the spot.

Guest lahmeh

When I'm on the computer late and the room is dark I get such cramps from sitting Indian style in my office chair. If I don't those invisible spiders will surely climb up my feet and proceed up my pajama pants to get me! :eek:

When I was little, my sister and I shared a room in the basement. The unfinished part of the basement connected to our room. And I was absolutely convinced that the devil lived in that part of the basement. I never went down there alone. (I was about 7).

M. Night Shyamalama movies creep me out to no end (they are about the scariest horror movies I've ever watched). I can't stop thinking about them afterward and imagining dead people and aliens and grass wolves behind me, sneaking up and trying to kill me. After I saw Signs, I made used to drag my sister (I was 18, she was 12) out of her bedroom and into mine. Literally, I dragged the poor sleeping child.

Oh, and to go in a totally different direction?

I have a crush on Jamie.

From Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series.

Yes, on a fictional book character! :D

Doesn't everyone do this? I have been in:001_wub: love :001_wub:with Lord Peter Wimsey my whole life--like since age 8 when I heard a radio drama version of him...:tongue_smilie:

I sleep better if there is someone with me and when dh worked nights, it was usually whoever was youngest, although there have been some nights where everyone ended up in bed with me. I was actually relieved when ds got taller than me. What a wuss, depending on her teen boy to defend her from the boogiman. The good thing is that he would. I remember having "special" nights staying up late and sleeping with Mom when Dad was gone overnight. The funniest thing is that dh says that when we are gone HE sleeps with the lamp on because he can't sleep without it.

The jumpy hop in and smacking the door frame comment almost made me pee. :lol:

I'm just the opposite. When DH is out of town, I get massive amounts of work done, and his half of the bed is piled with 'stuff' (usually paperwork). He said to me last week "I thought about taking the girls to disney and leaving you here for the week, but what would you do for a whole week here by yourself?' :w00t:

Turns out I'm going too. :glare:

I've also been in love with Peter Wimsey for years. There's another character that I use to love, but cannot remember, for the life of me.

And I confess...when my girls put their unfinished snacks in the refrigerator (Blizzards, cookies, cupcakes, etc) I give them 36 hours, and if it's still there I eat it. I also scarfed the Receese's PB cup Christmas trees from their stockings. I only waited 24 for those :blush:

AND, the first day my girls went to a HS co-op for the WHOLE DAY (10-4 is a WHOLE day to a HS mom!) I sat adn played computer games and watched TV the whole time!

Lifts. Once when I was about 8 or 10, my parents, brother and I were staying in a one room motel room- my parents watched a horror movie that involved a lift cable breaking and a big drama ensuing...they thought I was asleep. I wasn't- I peeked. I have been frightened of being in lifts ever since.

I also confess to being quite frightened of dogs. I have never been bitten by one, that I remember, but they just intimidate me. I love dogs too, and we have 2 dogs...but when I am in a dog exercise area, or dog beach, I am on edge to some extent.

I confess to being scared of the dark, too.

I do check the seats before I get in - but somehow that doesn't stop me from getting that creepy feeling later. :001_huh:

One night when I was about 15 my mom came home and she looked totally freaked out. She said when she stopped at a stop sign while getting off the interstate some guy tried to open the passenger door.:w00t: My dad called the cops and they couldn't find anyone. It has added to my "boogyman" fear.

This happened to my mom about three months ago. She was on her way to work, on a weekday morning, on the interstate, in rush hour traffic, in a major city. She had one of those "check tire pressure" lights on in the car, so she didn't think anything of it when a guy in a "work truck" was honking and pointing at her from the next lane. She thought something was wrong with the tire, so she pulled over. The guy pulled off onto the shoulder behind her, jumped out of his car, and tried to open her passenger door. She cracked the window to see what he was saying, and he told her that she was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen and that he'd been watching her drive to work for some time (!!!!) He stuck his business card through the window (which she said later looked fake), and she just drove off and left him on the shoulder.

Oh, I'm scared of walking up the stairs too.. and it makes the back of my neck twitch once I'm out of the "danger zone". Elevators aren't cool either. The one at my OB-GYN's office opens about three seconds before it actually reaches the floor!

I close the curtains really fast when it is dark in case there's a creepy face staring in the window at me. Sometimes I also jump into bed from a couple feet away in case someone is under the bed and is going to grab my ankles. All these irrational fears are thanks to watching "Action Theater" on Saturday afternoons with the neighbor when I was a small child.

I confess that I don't want to move to Florida.;)

I don't think anyone could read those books and NOT have a crush on that guy!

Think of this: Does he bathe daily? Does he wear antiperspirant and deodorant? How often does he wash his hair?

I don't care what DG says in the books -- I think he is probably stinky and sometimes has lice and fleas.

Edited by RoughCollie

Sometimes when I'm driving alone at night I start thinking about all those movies with a bad guy hiding in the backseat. I flip on the lights to make sure I'm alone.:tongue_smilie:

I do this! Also, when I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, going back to bed sometimes freaks me out because I'm afraid something is under my bed and is going to grab me by the ankles. Sometimes I leap into bed so the monster can't reach me on my way in. When dh gasps because I startled him awake, I lie there pretending to be sound asleep. If dh is gone (extremely rare) I have, at least a few times, held it (pee) in until the sun rose in the morning.

Sometimes, when I'm carrying a basket of laundry up from the basement, I get one of those creepy "something/someone's behind me" feelings and I run up the last few steps and quickly slam and lock the door behind me, feeling quite silly all the while.

Somehow I managed to combine these two issues in my childhood, and nighttime bathroom visits haven't been the same since. I convinced myself as a child that wolves (yep, wolves) sprang from the toilet after you flushed it and if I didn't run down the hall back into my bedroom they would catch me. To solve this dilemma, I don't flush the toilet if I pee at night. Actually, I think I stopped flushing after I noticed the way the water bill spiked toward the end of my pregnancies. It was just as frightening as wolves emerging from the swirling vortex.

Confession? I snore, loudly. Apparently I drive dh from the bedroom. (I have sinus issues) But that's not the confession. We downsized from a King bed to Queen bed in this house, there is no room for a king. I don't like the queen size. So when I wake up in the middle of the night and dh isn't there I spread out and enjoy the bed all to myself. I tell myself he sleeps better in the living room anyway.

:lol::lol::lol:

Apparently I also snore. Dh tells me that one night I was snoring so loud it awoke him. Apparently my snoring then awoke ME and I rolled over, slapped dh, told him to stop snoring, then rolled over and went back to sleep. He decided to go sleep on the couch. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Apparently I also snore. Dh tells me that one night I was snoring so loud it awoke him. Apparently my snoring then awoke ME and I rolled over, slapped dh, told him to stop snoring, then rolled over and went back to sleep. He decided to go sleep on the couch. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't like being the last person awake in a house. Once everyone else has gone to sleep, well, it just starts feeling kind of creepy. This was the case both when I lived at home with many siblings and parents, and now in a one bedroom apartment with just dh. Oddly enough, I don't think I had this problem when I lived in a two bedroom apartment with three roommates -- but that's because it was a student apartment on my college campus. Didn't have the problem in a dorm, either! This fear connects to my fear of robbers, which stems from when I was somewhere between 4 and 6. The college I went to was very safe in regards to such things, so I was less worried there and therefore less freaked out by creepy noises at night.

Mirrors in dark rooms at night have been known to freak me out a little bit. I'm careful not to look too closely in case I see something.

The fact that other people have these kinds of silly fears too makes me feel better. :D

I also am starting to get a little freaked out here!

I confess that sometimes while I'm in the shower I fear the Psycho killer is in the bathroom with a knife so I RIP the shower curtain open quickly to find nobody there. I always feel silly about that.

Also, sometimes if a car has been behind me for awhile and I'm getting close to home, I will start to take detours to make sure they aren't actually following me.

One more: I'm not actually afraid of elevators..but there are a couple of elevators I've had reason to use on a semi-regular basis, in which I've calmly thought, "I really should have my cell phone with me in case it decides to die." Or, "If it dies now, they may not find me for a while, and I don't think I could keep my sanity long while trapped in an elevator."

Stupid elevators that don't run smoothly and make you go :glare:

I'm also terrified of roaches...every time I see a roach (or other big bug) I make a loud noise and have to talk myself into squishing or spraying it. I jump up on furniture. I shudder with horror. And I have trouble calming down for the rest of the evening. Once, I called my boyfriend to come kill a roach for me..at some wee hour of the morning. He actually did it, too -- drove 20 minutes to kill a roach. *And* he married me, still...I have an awesome husband. ;)

Edited by Hannah C.