Menu

What's Your Favorite Find

toawh

We all know the major homeschooling options and the curriculums and such, but I often come across a small object that hits the spot and becomes my "thing" for awhile. My latest is GeoPuzzles. They have each of the continents as a puzzle. In the puzzle each country is a piece. These make memmorizing the countries and capitals a breeze for 1st -4th graders. Anyone else have stuff like this that they love? Please share, maybe we can all benefit. :)

Oh, I totally love the You Wouldn't Want to Be series. My brothers would always read those.

To go with WTM recommendations for second grade science I found some experiment books that I liked more than Mudpies to Magnets. They are by Kristia West. Six experiments books Hands-on Projects: Oceans, Earth and Space, etc.. Very fun. Written on a 2nd grade level.

I have a new find!! Playmobil! I bought my son some of the Egyptian figures and pieces. Now he's so interested in Egypt. I think it's great since we'll be doing SOTW1. I'm thinking maybe to get him some of the Roman set when we get to that part of the book. It'll be a fun twist to narrations and a good hands-on review.

The Story-Book of Science. It's free online but I love it so much I bought a hard copy. :D

I'd love to hear more about this if you don't mind? My library doesn't have it and I usually like to check things out before buying. What age range, what exactly is it?

Leadership Education: The Phases of Learning by Oliver DeMille: This has really helped me instill a love of learning in my boys.

Equilibrio (from Timberdoodle)

Drive Thru History

Teaching Textbooks

Simon Basher science books

MathStart books

Brian P. Cleary books

Math On The Level

Livingmath.net

Fallacy Detective

Guest RecumbentHeart
I'd love to hear more about this if you don't mind? My library doesn't have it and I usually like to check things out before buying. What age range, what exactly is it?

I'm not great at explaining but it is a very gentle story approach to science. It is Christian (Uncle Paul is described as a God fearing man and he refers to Scripture and gives credit to the Creator here and there in his stories) and it is set in a much older France. I recommend reading the first 3 chapters via the link below to get a good feel for it. The first two chapters really just set the scene while the first "science story" takes place in chapter 3. A couple of quotes to save some trouble in case it's not something you might use:

(from the opening of ch. 1)"Uncle Paul was reading in a large book. He always reads to rest himself from his labors, finding that after work nothing refreshes so much as communion with a book that teaches us the best that others have done, said, and thought. He has in his room, well arranged on pine shelves, books of all kinds. There are large and small ones, with and without pictures, bound and unbound, and even gilt-edged ones. When he shuts himself up in his room it takes something very serious to divert him from his reading. And so they say that Uncle Paul knows any number of stories. He investigates, he observes for himself. When he walks in his garden he is seen now and then to stop before the hive, around which the bees are humming, or under the elder bush, from which the little flowers fall softly, like flakes of snow; sometimes he stoops to the ground for a better view of a little crawling insect, or a blade of grass just pushing into view. What does he see? What does he observe? Who knows? They say, however, that there comes to his beaming face a holy joy, as if he had just found himself face to face with some secret of the wonders of God. It makes us feel better when we hear stories that he tells at these moments; we feel better, and furthermore we learn a number of things that some day may be very useful to us."
"I approve of your wanting true stories," said he. "You will find in them at the same time the marvelous, which pleases so much at your age, and also the useful, with which even at your age you must concern yourselves, in preparation for after life. Believe me, a true story is much more interesting than a tale in which ogres smell fresh blood and fairies change pumpkins into carriages and lizards into lackeys. And could it be otherwise? Compared with truth, fiction is but a pitiful trifle; for the former is the work of God, the latter the dream of man. Mother Ambroisine could not interest you with the ant that broke its leg in trying to cross the ice. Shall I be more fortunate? Who wants to hear a true story of real ants?" "I! I!" cried Emile, Jules, and Claire all together. (the close of ch. 2)
The part I bolded is a favorite quote of mine. :)

You can check it out thoroughly here at the Baldwin Project where it can be read in html (scroll down below the buy option to find the linked table of contents). Google books has it available for download in PDF form.

Baldwin Project lists it for 9-12yos. Living Books Curriculum has it in their 6th grade science. That said, my 4yo enjoys having this read to him although he can't appreciate the depth of the science at this age obviously but he loves a story and absorbs what he can and I look forward to using it as part of our curriculum down the road. :)

I guess this is diviating a bit, but life is educational right? So what toys do your kids and you love, stuff you felt was worth every penny. I'm especially thinking not Disney characters or movie related. I have some birthdays coming up.

I forgot to add:

Learn and Master Guitar

Thank you so much for mentioning this; I never heard of it. This is EXACTLY what my son has been wanting....but I didn't know just what to get him. It looks perfect. A bit pricey....but with the sale on right now, and the homeschool edition...well, I'm excited (I just ordered it)!! Thank you!!!

:hurray:

I guess this is diviating a bit, but life is educational right? So what toys do your kids and you love, stuff you felt was worth every penny. I'm especially thinking not Disney characters or movie related. I have some birthdays coming up.

Legos

Mighty Mind sets

Monopoly (Garfield Edition)

I would also mention my copy of the Iliad and Odyssey Giant Golden book, illustrated by the Provensens. The problem is, I've noticed that since I've bought my copy, the price has gone up exponentially. That's truly sad, because this is such a beautiful book. I guess it's going the way of the Golden Book of Biology---out of reach except for serious collectors.

Thank you so much for mentioning this; I never heard of it. This is EXACTLY what my son has been wanting....but I didn't know just what to get him. It looks perfect. A bit pricey....but with the sale on right now, and the homeschool edition...well, I'm excited (I just ordered it)!! Thank you!!!

:hurray:

We love it! Hope you will too!

Ha ha. Sorry for the deviation! Sometimes all us homeschoolers can think about is curriculum. As far as toys:

Equilibrio (mentioned it before)

Stop Motion Animation Kit (kids can't stop making movies!! So much fun)

Hexbugs Nano with a track set (oh they are addiciting)

Klutz books

Edited by scrapbabe

Saw a few things that looked cool today, but haven't decided yet. Anyone have any of these? Are they as fun as they look?

IKEA train set

Car rug (has a city on it with roads for driving)

Automoblox

Re: one l michelle

I bought a magnifying glass today. It was met with more joy than any toy I've brought home for a long time! And it only cost me 2 dollars!

Edited by toawh

Best Homeschool find:

State Rummy card game (I think I paid $1 for it at a hs resale!)

All About Spelling

Reversible white board (use this every day!!)

Best Toy Find:

Architecto (similar to Equilibrium, but Architecto is a bit easier. Available at RR and Amazon.)

Electronic Snap Circuits (Big Time Hit here!)

Oregon Trail CD-Rom (Game for computer)

Little Tikes Camera (not sure what age range you're interested in, but this was (still is from over a year ago) big hit with my youngest and her friends.

Is it school? Is it a game? Whatever it is ds loooves it. He is teaching himeself mutiplication so he can play Mythmatical Battles. It is sort of like the Pokemon -type card games, with mythic characters and multiplication. He studies that mulitplication chart like crazy and is even picking up some Norse and Egyptian mythology. I plan to get the other set for him soon.

The whole "You Wouldn't Want to be a " series of books.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

For us, dice. I put out 50 bucks on dice and have them in Roman numerals, with signs, 0-19, 1-20, 1-3, 1-5 and 6-11, hundreds, tenthousands, tenths, you name it. Kiddo still loves when I pull out "the next set".

I got them, in person, at Math-N-Stuff, which is a small website and a small store, but if you email them, they will tell you if they have what you want. Whole shelves of dice.