Menu

BJU Writing and Grammar

I have read some of the prior posts both here and on the high school board, and I am considering BJU Writing and Grammar 4 and 6, for my two oldest.

I am needing to simplify. R&S is good, but I like the idea of doing writing one week and grammar the next. Writing isn't happening beyond WWE, and I just don't feel like it is enough. I like the idea of going back to a workbook.

My DD11 is doing WWE3, and the Remedia Outlining book. I will have her continue these, as well as, move to outlining some history. My DS9 is doing WWE2, which I will continue. If I was to add in the BJU W&G, and drop R&S, will that work? As I look at what I just typed, I am not sure if I will be simplifying.:tongue_smilie:I guess I really want some extra writing that is all laid out for me and covers all of the bases. I would also like something that would possibly take us through to 10th grade or so, and I see that some people on the high school board are still using it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

we used BJU grammar in elementary. It is a very good and thorough program. If I recall correctly though, it is not grammar one week and writing the next. I seem to recall doing grammar for the bulk of the book, then writing toward the end. I might be in error on that though. Have you looked a the table of contents on the bjup or cbd website? That would tell you how often writing is done. I cannot say I'm a huge fan of BJU writing. It gets the job done. It is well laid out and not difficult to teach. It is classroom directed so there are some group activities that need to be adjusted to individual use. It is a fine program, you would not go wrong using it.

I am using BJU English for the first time this year. It's English 4, and it's the newest version with the CD printables in the back of the TM. The units are alternating as you described, grammar then creative writing. The units are longer than a week IMO- more like two weeks. I love the structured approach to creative writing. It is the writing process- prewriting, drafting, revising, editing, publishing. There are checklists for each step. We are actually completing our written assignments this week, polished ones. With the student work examples, my ds is inspired to accomplish much more than he has done in the past. Gone are the days of staring at a page and writing nothing while whining and gnashing teeth.

The TMs are pretty important. I guess it depends on how comfortable you are checking the work. If you need or want an answer key, which is only in the TM, then it is a necessity. It is a great time saver for sure. But, it is expensive. The teacher notes, instructional helps, etc. are also only in the TM.

We have used BJU English since the beginning and we are now in 6th grade. I have kids in 4th and in 6th, so if you have any specific questions, I have the books right here and can help :D

Following every tenth lesson there is a test (if you choose to test) and then the unit switches. For example, lessons 1-10 are grammar, lessons 11-20 are writing, etc, etc. The TM has the answers, which I find necessary :tongue_smilie: It also contains scripted lessons, which I do not find necessary. The student workbooks explain the concept and 99% of the time my kids get it from independently reading their own workbooks. If it becomes obvious, while checking their work, that they didn't understand, I then sit down and explain it. They are then assigned the extra practice sheet for that lesson (on the teacher's CD). The CD has an extra practice sheet for the Chapter review too, which can easily be used as the test, giving you one less item to purchase, if you prefer to test, that is.

When they are working in the writing unit, there is a small daily review for grammar. You can find this on the CD - I just print them off and put them in their English folder. I like this, it keeps these concepts fresh in their minds :)

I have really enjoyed this program. My kids "get" it and the way we use it, it is fairly independent for them - which makes us all happy. It is thorough.

I would say, some people consider the writing exercises to be too advanced. If they are having a 2nd grader write a book report, you simply need to keep in mind that your expectations should be equal to your child's grade and adjust it accordingly. We stuck with it, even though my dd did struggle with writing through the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade programs. It all clicked in 5th though and she has developed into a wonderful writer. I give credit to the thorough, easy to understand process that she was exposed to by BJU.

My dc are getting ready to move up a level. One from 6th to 7th and the other 5th to 6th. (I regret NOT staying with BJU last year...) We have returned. :D I am so happy that we did. My boys have improved tremendously in their writing. The grammar is great too. I use the TM and it helps me a great deal. It seems overwhelming when you look at it, because of its size. However, it really is a great tool and only takes a few minutes. I :001_wub: BJU writing and grammar. I only wish we had used it before now!

BJU's grammar is wonderful! We used the 4th-7th grade and my son is very proficient in grammar...but, writing not so much. His not so great writing has nothing to do with BJU really, and everything to do with him being...well...him. ;) He is somewhat of a perfectionist and the BJU writing samples would overwhelm him a bit. They can appear somewhat advanced for the average writer, and my ds would look at the sample and think, "I can't do that! I can't write like THAT!" And so he would therefore shut down. He doesn't even want to attempt something he thinks he can't do well. Very frustrating. He did fine with his assignments, it was just more of a struggle for us than perhaps for others.

I also wanted to let you know that beginning in the 7th grade, BJU no longer has writing 'chapters' in their Writing & Grammar books. They are all grammar with a 'write this' section at the end of each chapter. BJU does all their writing instruction in K/1-6th...then they are basically just assigned writing. I wish they hadn't done that, I personally wish they had kept the writing chapters at least through 8th grade.

Also, you may find BJU a tad easy compared to R&S. R&S has a completely different scope and sequence. BJU has a slow and steady wins the race type program, and then in high school it's WHAM! They slam um good!:lol: (just ask my older boys!) Actually, I noticed a big leap from the 6th gr book to the 7th grade as well. But we were using the DVDs and they literally crammed the whole book into one semester racing through it at lightning speed. It made my ds's head spin. In the 2nd semester I purchased some CLE light units to keep grammar fresh. My ds liked them so well we have continued with them this year.

And lastly, I think I personally would put both students in the 5th grade book. Yes, it may be easy for your oldest, but trust me, if you decide to stay with BJU he/she will get all they need to know about grammar (and then some) before graduating. And your 4th grader would be fine in the 5th grade book as long as he/she doesn't get too overwhelmed with the writing samples. BJU does not assume prior grammar knowledge, everything taught in 4th will be retaught in the 5th gr. book. With them both being in the same book, they would be working on the same concepts, same writing assignments, etc. which would make life easier on you. And you'd only need one TE! Anyhow, just a thought. :D

Edited by Melissa in CA

I also wanted to let you know that beginning in the 7th grade, BJU no longer has writing 'chapters' in their Writing & Grammar books. They are all grammar with a 'write this' section at the end of each chapter. BJU does all their writing instruction in K/1-6th...then they are basically just assigned writing. I wish they hadn't done that, I personally wish they had kept the writing chapters at least through 8th grade.

:D

Interesting, I didn't know this. I was considering adding TWSS to our mix next year and that makes it even more appealing. Hmmmm....just what I need, another decision to make :tongue_smilie:

Melissa,

My oldest is getting ready to move into the 7th grade book. I have been concerned with the writing portions, because it is laid out differently. Did you continue with BJU or what did you choose instead?

Melissa,

My oldest is getting ready to move into the 7th grade book. I have been concerned with the writing portions, because it is laid out differently. Did you continue with BJU or what did you choose instead?

Well, I jumped into Classical Writing. It's been slow going (I find this curriculum agonizingly complicated where it does not need to be so), and I'm seriously thinking of jumping ship. To what? I don't know. :confused:

But, I do know that my ds needs to learn how to write formal papers. With two boys in college, I now see how very important that is. I'm sure CW would get me there eventually, but there has to be a better, less agonizing way, to get there. ;) So, I'm on the search myself. I think an outside class of some sort would be my best bet.

Take a look at Pattern Based Writing. Easy to teach. Written to the student. Covers basic paragraphs, basic essays, brainstorming, intros, conclusions, , transition, sequencing, titles, headlines and more. PBW is excellent for late elementary through middle school and for remedial work with older students. After PBW, the student will have a framework for other writing techniques.