Menu

Juicing...Got a juicer for Christmas!

Our oldest ds gave us a juicer! I am so excited and love it. I really want to do this to be more healthy and my dd (adhd/pdd) is really liking this. She was sick yesterday with vomiting but today she drank a carrot/pear/ginger/spinach smoothie and loved it! Even my ds (13) drank a carrot/orange banana smoothie yesterday; he dislikes smoothies.

So, how many times a day do you juice? We of course will still eat regular food but I'm so glad the kids don't care that spinach is going into their body. ;)

For myself, how would you go about juicing for a little weight loss and health benefit? (about 10 to 20 lbs). I do walk on a treadmill. I also like to try raw foods. ..Trying to get most of us away from desserts with flours in them...

Oh, I also got a 14 cup food processor and a new blender...I never had a f.p. only a 2 cup f.p. :tongue_smilie:

Oops! I didn't see the other post about the green smoothie! That sounds very good, though.

Edited by 5knights3maidens
saw other post

Yay for you! How nice of your son to give you such a thoughtful present!

At the moment I am not juicing, but hope to get back into it soon! We did for probably a year straight off after getting ours, then we went away for 7 weeks holiday overseas last year, and never got it out again. I told my dh yesterday that I'll start juicing again. He, in particular, loves it, and always would feel less energetic on the odd day that I would miss juicing.

We would only do 1x day, in the morning - but I will probably do late afternoon now, as the mornings are too hectic.

For weight loss, I don't really know - the juices will probably not make as much difference as cutting out refined carbs/sugars. Also probably don't go overboard on fruit in your juices. Veges are going to have less sugars.

If I can remember right, my juice recipe (with variations according to fridge contents) used to be - 10 carrots, 1 beetroot (this makes it very yummy - everyone would notice if this was missing), beetroot leaves, 1 zucchini, 1 lemon (peeled), 1 orange (peeled), 2 apples, 1/4 cabbage, any green leaves.

There are so many different ways to enjoy them - your family will probably let you know the right combinations! Have fun with it....

Also forgot to add that we used the pulp produced to make a health cookie, which everyone enjoyed.

I wouldn't use all the pulp, and I would remove the very fibrous bits like the lemon pulp.. then add some ground up oats, chopped dates or raisins, (both can be done in your new food processor!;-), maybe some honey. Just go by feel as to the quantities of each...it should be able to be dropped off the tablespoon onto a baking sheet. Bake for 15/20 minutes. They won't rise or spread.