Menu

K-2 Seasonal Curriculum That Is Not Waldorf?

BBG580

I've got a lot of Waldorf books and materials and there is a lot about the philosophy that I like and a lot of things within it don't mesh with our family. I do love the seasonal and yearly rhythms though.

I would love to find a science curriculum for years K-2 that focuses on the four seasons but one that is less dreamy and fantasy tale driven than Waldorf tends to be, and more basic facts and science heavy. For instance, instead of reading about Father Winter, you'd read books on the formation of snowflakes. In summer you might read books about why worms are important for soil or the basics of a plant cycle from seed to setting fruit.

Is there anything like this out there that is not Waldorf and is completely secular?

Thanks!

I've got a lot of Waldorf books and materials and there is a lot about the philosophy that I like and a lot of things within it don't mesh with our family. I do love the seasonal and yearly rhythms though.

I would love to find a science curriculum for years K-2 that focuses on the four seasons but one that is less dreamy and fantasy tale driven than Waldorf tends to be, and more basic facts and science heavy. For instance, instead of reading about Father Winter, you'd read books on the formation of snowflakes. In summer you might read books about why worms are important for soil or the basics of a plant cycle from seed to setting fruit.

Is there anything like this out there that is not Waldorf and is completely secular?

I was going to suggest Enki, which is very Waldorfy but without the Christian elements (focusing instead on seasonal rhythms alone), but the science at that age is still story-based and Father Wintery. :tongue_smilie: The Waldorf folk think it damages the incarnating soul to give actual scientific explanations to kids that young. Oops, couldn't help myself (but still did a lot of Waldorfy stuff with the kids at that age).

Books I used a lot of at that age were the Let's-Read-and-Find-Out science series - you could organize them by season, and they definitely have scientific info at a K-2 level. We also studied a lot of backyard animals at that age - Smithsonian's Backyard series. The Burgess Bird Book is also a great read-aloud.

I know, I think I am just going to have to put together my own curriculum. I can't deal with flying by the seat of my pants, I have to have at least some kind of weekly plan in place with books and crafts and activities.

Yes, some of the esoteric spiritual components of Waldorf are just not in sync with my beliefs. I do love fairy tales and think they add to any study, along with the handcrafts and rhythm but I want something a with more factual substance than Waldorf allows in this case.

Thanks!

I'm kind of where you are at, but to make things more difficult my kids are all older- the fun Waldorfy things seem to be geared for young children.

I've been looking at some wonderful blogs, and thinking I will use what they are doing as a jumping off spot and then make my own unit studies, basically. I'm way too busy, I'd rather have something already done.

I really liked this blog, she blogged about a block she did on time and measurements, it gave me some ideas of how to do it, but adding in other kinds of books that I would feel are beneficial.

Our little nature nest

I also found this blog, written by a new Waldorf grade 6-(i think) teacher, who has a medical degree. I haven't read enough yet to see how he got into this, but it is interesting to hear his thoughts on adding in Science into nature studies.

The Waldorf Way

I will be blogging about my attempts to add more rhythm and Waldorfy type things into my homeschool on my blog, but so far have only done 2 posts..the holidays have kind of gotten in the way :)

Have you looked at the resources at Barb's nature study blog Handbook of Nature Study

She has a lot of seasonal resources and many of them are free. She also produces seasonal study books that are quite good!

There are also loads of great blogs with seasonal ideas and book recommendations! Check out By Sun and Candlelight. She has science and nature book recommendations in her sidebars that she changes each month (and she's Catholic!). I've used her recommendations to build my own seasonal book baskets.

I have put together a lot of stuff myself in this fashion. You may find this old book helpful if your weather is even remotely like Detroit's, because it has suggestions for every month. I take what some portion of each month's list, and find books about it. It helps me expand a bit beyond what might initially come to mind.

Nature study books

Course in nature study: for grades one and two

by Detroit Public Schools

New Child Montessori has a curriculum with daily lesson plans, including many seasonal themes. There are few specific parts that are kind of New Age (yoga exercises, some meditations for the teacher, and a unit on the Native American medicine wheel/four directions), but as far as I can tell, the rest is secular. The schedule is packed with ideas, so it could easily be re-used in subsequent years. We used it for a couple of months last summer and barely scratched the surface. Edited by Eleanor

Katie's Homeschool Cottage (on currclick) has a nature study series that follows the seasons and teaches more formal science topics as they apply to nature studies. I haven't used it yet but did download the summer study for free a year or two ago. I think we'll be using it this summer. Here's the link:

http://www.currclick.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=312