Menu

I just spent...gulp...over $100 on make-up

I.never.do.this.

I hardly ever wear the stuff, and had absolutely none left. Dh graciously gave me a JCPenney's gift card, so I decided to use part of it on make-up.

I went "mineral," buying a kit with 3 products and three brushes, and adding in two lipsticks, a mascara, and some green color corrector. I also bought some primer.

I feel...well, IDK. I certainly indulged myself.

It will last a long time--and I am thankful for the grace of my hubby.

So...

part of me wants to ask, "Did I do anything wrong? Is this ok?" :001_huh:

I.never.do.this.

I hardly ever wear the stuff, and had absolutely none left. Dh graciously gave me a JCPenney's gift card, so I decided to use part of it on make-up.

I went "mineral," buying a kit with 3 products and three brushes, and adding in two lipsticks, a mascara, and some green color corrector. I also bought some primer.

It will last a long time--and I am thankful for the grace of my hubby.

So...

part of me wants to ask, "Did I do anything wrong? Is this ok?" :001_huh:

As long as it makes you look good!

Honestly, it sounds as if you made your money go far, especially since minerals can be very expensive. I need to update some of my make-up, and I'm dreading what it's going to cost. I use Mary Kay for the most part, and it can add up quickly. I think it's great that you are pampering yourself! As moms, especially homeschooling ones, make-up can help us remember we are still here since we're usually putting ourselves last. :)

You didn't do anything wrong.

Though I will say that I get a bug in my rear sometimes and I decided to be 'normal' and I go splurge on clothes that I like but that aren't really me, hair products, make up, beauty treatment creams etc. Soon after those clothes are just sitting in my closet not being worn, the make up and similar products sit collecting dust. That stuff is just not ME.

After the splurge I will realize that the reason I wanted all that stuff was because I felt the need to 'make' myself 'good enough' for others to accept and like me. But that's just me. And I don't feel like it was 'wrong' for me to go through that phase, I learn from it each time. :)

makeup is expensive, even drugstore makeups are going up. L'oreal's HIP line is almost as expensive as Mac! It's easy to spend $100.00 quick especially if you're getting primers and color correctors to boot. I think you really got a lot for your money from what you described. Brushes aren't cheap either. Enjoy it. It was a gift for you from your hubby. Now you can doll yourself up whenever you like and it will be the gift that keeps on giving. :)

Thanks, all.

I did do extremely well using the gift certificate to buy clothing. I was able to get 3 skirts, 2 dress pants, 2 sweaters, one belted blouse, 2 other blouses, and I think 6 shirts, for about $200. All the tops were in white, jewel-tone teal/blue or deep pink. One skirt was sort of a funky blackish denim-ish (long) and two were black (one knee-length and one longer). I wore the grey pants with a deep blue (but not navy) ribbed v-neck sweater to church and got lots of compliments! :001_smile:

Thanks, all.

I did do extremely well using the gift certificate to buy clothing. I was able to get 3 skirts, 2 dress pants, 2 sweaters, one belted blouse, 2 other blouses, and I think 6 shirts, for about $200. All the tops were in white, jewel-tone teal/blue or deep pink. One skirt was sort of a funky blackish denim-ish (long) and two were black (one knee-length and one longer). I wore the grey pants with a deep blue (but not navy) ribbed v-neck sweater to church and got lots of compliments! :001_smile:

Sounds like you did really, really well! You got all that at Pennys? Next time I have to shop for clothes I'm taking you with me! :) :grouphug:

It's a lot of start-up cost but you'll be surprised at how long it lasts.

It seems that I have to replenish a component to mine about every 3-4 months. Depending on what has run out, it's usually around $25.

I think it's a big savings in the long run. Not to mention, it feels so much better on your face!

It's a lot of start-up cost but you'll be surprised at how long it lasts.

It seems that I have to replenish a component to mine about every 3-4 months. Depending on what has run out, it's usually around $25.

I think it's a big savings in the long run. Not to mention, it feels so much better on your face!

I agree :) I love mineral makeup for this reason....I only have to buy foundation 2x a year etc....

ENJOY!!!! Sounds like you got some great bargains too :)

Last year, I spent over $500 on skin care and make-up. :svengo:

I have never spent that kind of money on skin care and I felt guilty for months.

For the first month, my face looked better because of the make-up and I thought the skin care wasn't doing anything. But after the first month, my face looks almost the same whether I'm wearing make-up or not. My face has never looked or felt this healthy, even when I was 25 yo. I don't feel guilty anymore. And I've decided I'd rather spend $500 and see results than $50 or $100 without results.

Last year, I spent over $500 on skin care and make-up. :svengo:

I have never spent that kind of money on skin care and I felt guilty for months.

For the first month, my face looked better because of the make-up and I thought the skin care wasn't doing anything. But after the first month, my face looks almost the same whether I'm wearing make-up or not. My face has never looked or felt this healthy, even when I was 25 yo. I don't feel guilty anymore. And I've decided I'd rather spend $500 and see results than $50 or $100 without results.

What skin care products did you use? They sound amazing. I totally agree with you. I have spent so much money on creams and junk for my face that I ultimately wind up giving away. It's ridiculous. When you find something that works for you, by all means stick with it. You'll be happier and save more money in the long run than constantly trying the next big thing that promises a miracle.

I did the same a few years back. Dh gave me a gift certificate to Sephora. I only ever wear makeup on "special" occasions, so the makeup has lasted for a LONG time and I've been so happy with it. Anyone know if makeup expires? :001_huh:

Non-powder makeups can go rancid like foundations, liquid eyeliners, lipsticks, lipglosses etc, but I think it takes a few years. I'm not sure if powder eyeshadows, mineral makeup or loose pigments expire. I have some pressed eyeshadows that I've had for eons and they still work, look and smell the same so I'm guessing they're okay.

don't want to hijack the thread, but thought it was kind of related. If anyone is a fan of Zoya nail polishes, they are having a promotion right now where they are giving away 3 free nail polishes of your choice. You just have to pay the shipping ($6.95). You just have to enter the discount code FB2011 to get the promotion. It's good until 1/7 on zoya.com. :)

What skin care products did you use? They sound amazing. I totally agree with you. I have spent so much money on creams and junk for my face that I ultimately wind up giving away. It's ridiculous. When you find something that works for you, by all means stick with it. You'll be happier and save more money in the long run than constantly trying the next big thing that promises a miracle.

Aloette. I bought the anti-aging skin care, but I'm wondering if the results would be just as good with the line that's not anti-aging. I'm afraid to switch, though. :tongue_smilie: I love the Flawless Rapid Skin Perfection. It makes my skin feel so silky and it evens out the imperfections. My other favorite is the Perfect Lift System.

Aloette. I bought the anti-aging skin care, but I'm wondering if the results would be just as good with the line that's not anti-aging. I'm afraid to switch, though. :tongue_smilie: I love the Flawless Rapid Skin Perfection. It makes my skin feel so silky and it evens out the imperfections. My other favorite is the Perfect Lift System.

I've never heard of them. Where do you purchase them from?

I've never heard of them. Where do you purchase them from?

http://www.aloette.com

I went to a home party that my neighbor had, and I bought it because the consultant has movie-star-flawless skin. She used to have horrible eczema before she discovered aloette.

If you can find a consultant in your area to buy from, you will be eligible for BOGO (buy one, get one half-price) twice a year. Also, they have monthly specials where you can get a few products at a deep discount if you buy $40 at full price. The specials are listed on the website, but I think the BOGO sales are only available through a consultant.

Way to go Chris!!! I bet you look like one hot momma in your new clothes and make-up!! I absolutely love mineral make-up. Like others have already posted, you will find a little goes a long way, and you won't have to buy near as much as you do the liquid and powders. ENJOY!!!

http://www.aloette.com

I went to a home party that my neighbor had, and I bought it because the consultant has movie-star-flawless skin. She used to have horrible eczema before she discovered aloette.

If you can find a consultant in your area to buy from, you will be eligible for BOGO (buy one, get one half-price) twice a year. Also, they have monthly specials where you can get a few products at a deep discount if you buy $40 at full price. The specials are listed on the website, but I think the BOGO sales are only available through a consultant.

Thanks so much for the head's up. I'll have to check them out. :) I suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my face a year and a half ago and my skin is really messed up now. I've found a couple of things that have seemed to help, but I'm always on the lookout for something better. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

I spend $100 a pop on make up about twice a year. I try to buy during Clinque bonus days so I get something free. I think you are doing good.

Sephora too has Friends and Family sales once a year (usually around Oct-Nov) and they sell Clinique too. Just another option to buy at a discount. :)

Way to go Chris!!! I bet you look like one hot momma in your new clothes and make-up!! I absolutely love mineral make-up. Like others have already posted, you will find a little goes a long way, and you won't have to buy near as much as you do the liquid and powders. ENJOY!!!

Absolutely. I've had my bare minerals for at least 3 years and it's still going strong.

I did the same a few years back. Dh gave me a gift certificate to Sephora. I only ever wear makeup on "special" occasions, so the makeup has lasted for a LONG time and I've been so happy with it. Anyone know if makeup expires? :001_huh:

Most definitely! You should never use mascara for more than 3 months-do not pump the wand or you are filling the tube with bacteria. Nearly all makeup will have an expiration date on it.

I spend $100 a pop on make up about twice a year. I try to buy during Clinque bonus days so I get something free. I think you are doing good.

Oh just thought of another thing for Clinique fans. If you have an outlet mall near by you, check and see if they have a Cosmetics Company Store or a Cosmetics Company Outlet. They sell all the brands owned by Estee Lauder: Bobbi Brown, MAC, Clinique, Prescriptives, Origins and of course Estee Lauder at discount of 30-40% off. You can get makeup, perfumes, skin care, cosmetic brushes etc.

Thanks so much for the head's up. I'll have to check them out. :) I suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my face a year and a half ago and my skin is really messed up now. I've found a couple of things that have seemed to help, but I'm always on the lookout for something better. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

The base ingredient in their products is medical grade aloe, so that might be very good for your skin. The one thing I don't like about the company is that you can't return products for money, only store credit. So you might want to try a few things to see if they work well for you before investing in the whole shebang.

I wanted to "go mineral" (lol) for a couple of years, but the cost held me back. When I finally caved, my skin loved it. That was several years ago. My skin still loves it and looks great. I look better than I have in years; I love how my skin feels even when I sleep in it, and I haven't washed my face at night since I began using it. (I remove my eye makeup.) Yes, it's worth it, it goes a long way.

The base ingredient in their products is medical grade aloe, so that might be very good for your skin. The one thing I don't like about the company is that you can't return products for money, only store credit. So you might want to try a few things to see if they work well for you before investing in the whole shebang.

Thank you for all of the information. I'll see if I can find a party situation like how you did then I can try them with no obligation to buy it, no?

My initial purchase (from an online company) was probably around $100. That was a couple of years ago, and I have spent a little to replace foundation and concealer as needed, but not a lot. I've not grown tired of it. No regrets. I am sure your DH wanted you to use the money to perk yourself up, and that might not just be wardrobe but also makeup. Enjoy!

Thank you for all of the information. I'll see if I can find a party situation like how you did then I can try them with no obligation to buy it, no?

Yes, if you have or go to a party, you can try the products. Or if there's a consultant nearby, she'll do a one-on-one consultation; you don't necessarily have to go to a party.