Menu

TOG users: How do you do your vocabulary?

SewLittleTime

I have one LG and one UG/D. We don't do anything with the vocabulary. Early on I experimented with flash cards, worksheets, etc. I finally decided to blow.it.off. :sneaky2: It was a difficult decision for me. I felt guilty for a while but it was ultimately very freeing. We do the reading, geography and activities. Older ds does the writing. That's it.

Do yo have them look up the words in the dictionary? Tell what the words mean, learn to spell them, and move on? Make worksheets? I need something a little more concrete to go on. Please share with me how you do vocabulary. If it helps, I have one LG and one UG.

Print off the vocab words and definitions, give it to the oldest two (will soon be the middle two) and have them work on memorizing it well enough to read off 2-4 definitions to each other a day from memory.

It is more of a cram session that way, but it gets it in their minds so that when I use it in the reading they know the definition. I stagger which words they work on, so my oldest is always ahead of my younger dd. That way they are covering them on different days and getting more exposure to the words.

Not ideal, but it gets the job done.

Heather

I have 1 LG student. My DH made me a template for vocabulary. It has 6 boxes with a line under it for writing the word and I just print the template double sided. The line is the type with the two lines and the dotted line in the middle that are used for young kids.

Anyway, DD writes the word on the line, looks up the word in the dictionary if she doesnt already know what it means, and illustrates it in the box to help her remember what it means. If she cannot illustrate the word, she writes the definition in the box instead. She is happy because she gets to draw and I am happy because this way she learns vocab and dictionary skills...Works great!

I have 1 LG student. My DH made me a template for vocabulary. It has 6 boxes with a line under it for writing the word and I just print the template double sided. The line is the type with the two lines and the dotted line in the middle that are used for young kids.

Anyway, DD writes the word on the line, looks up the word in the dictionary if she doesnt already know what it means, and illustrates it in the box to help her remember what it means. If she cannot illustrate the word, she writes the definition in the box instead. She is happy because she gets to draw and I am happy because this way she learns vocab and dictionary skills...Works great!

I like this idea! Thanks for sharing.

This is nice. Right now, I just have dd write the words once and if she doesn't know what they mean, I tell her. This also counts as our spelling lesson. (I know, beyond pathetic.)

Edited by Susan in TN

I loved this one.. How do you make it ??

I was going to attach my template for you but it is on Excel and it is not supported in the documents list that I saw (it was not uploading). If you want a template send me a PM with your e-mail address but is it really easy to put together. I have my template now and I just attach the images to the new words. I just find images from google images (I am unable to share these of course, so the template I will send you if you want it, will not have images) and copy/ paste them on our notebook page. I like Excel because I can copy/ paste the images and not have them move around like they often do in Word but I use Word for certain things also, like notebook covers. HTH :)

ETA: If I can't find an image (or it isn't possible to attach an image) I just type the definition in a box next to the word.

Edited by Guest

That is fantastic--I'm going to have to file that idea away for when I have an LG student again in a couple years!

Glad you like it :).

That is AWESOME! I hope you don't mind if I pm you for the template too.

It's on the way :). It has the Year and Unit we are currently using so you will have to change that and add your images.

Oh-may I get in on the pm template action too please! Thanks!

No problem :). It feels good to have made something people find worthy to have :D. Just send me your e-mail via PM.

For those that I have sent it to already, please keep in mind that on the left I have set it up for the Year 1 writing assignment. If you do not need to use that part you can just delete it and copy paste a section for more words :). If you have a problem doing that let me know and I can send you a new one just for vocabulary words :).

We are not using TOG this year, but last year, I typed out the definitions and cut them into strips. I then typed up a page that had just the words, leaving space in between each one. I then had my son match the definition to the word, and glue it underneath. It was nice, because some weeks there are a lot of vocabulary words, and this reduced the amount of writing that he had to do.

Krista

• 4 weeks later...

We do dictionary look and do a few different activities:

copy work (I write on the board)

dictation

I make crosswords from a free site

Quizlet do a search and you'll find groups of TOG so you can have them do games, take tests, or print a list

I create matching worksheets...draw a line from the word to the definition

If I am pretty sure they already know the meanings, we put them in ABC order sometimes.

Pretty simple stuff.

True. Just a mama who made flashcards for curriculum she uses. :)

I knew you knew that ;), it was just that the way the post was worded it made it sound (at least to me) that it was from TOG. I just wanted it to be clear to others also, although they would have figured it out going in :).

Great idea!

We used Quizlet . It has a couple games you can use to match definitions to the words, also can print out flashcards... :-)

I think that a fair amount of the TOG vocabulary is already there for you, maybe not all weeks. This was a great way to get my grammar level kiddo to learn the definitions ... he loved working against the clock.