Menu

UGH! So thankful for homeschooling!

My friend was just telling me how yesterday the public school's power went out so they decided to send the kids home. Apparently they only tried one number on her list of contact numbers and didn't reach her (which they would have done had they called the others) and decided to send her SIX year old home alone!!! The child told the bus driver his parents weren't home and there were no cars in the driveway yet they had him get off the bus and he was there alone until his parents got home after work.

Now, obviously there was some mix up in the system, because that shouldn't happen. I just keep thinking, what if he couldn't get in the house yesterday? He lives in the middle of the country (read: long walk to any neighbors house) and it was FREEZiNG here yesterday!! Crazy! Plus this wasn't a latch-key kid that is use to being home alone.

Just one more reason I'm thankful my kids do not attend this particular school!:001_huh:

That poor baby! How horrible of the school. Many years ago the kids went to the local public school. There was a special enrichment program after the school day arts, sports that type of thing. The school then provided the bus rides to the kids normal bus stops, homes. I got to the bus stop but only one of my children was on the bus. My 5 year old was missing! No one knew where she was. All of the bus drivers swore up and down she was not on their route. It was starting to get dark and it was cold and raining. I was seaching the school. playground the police dept. was ready to place her on a national list of missing kids.

Turns out she was shoved onto a school bus even when she said it was the wrong one. The bus driver forced her off the bus at the last bus stop in the middle of the housing projects. She had no clue where she was. Another little girl helped her and got her dad to help out. He found our address in dd bag and they dropped her off with the baby sitter at our house. I never got to thank him and his dd. But my dd still talks about it today.

Turns out she was shoved onto a school bus even when she said it was the wrong one. The bus driver forced her off the bus at the last bus stop in the middle of the housing projects. She had no clue where she was. Another little girl helped her and got her dad to help out. He found our address in dd bag and they dropped her off with the baby sitter at our house. I never got to thank him and his dd. But my dd still talks about it today.

OMG!!! How HORRIBLE!

That poor baby! How horrible of the school. Many years ago the kids went to the local public school. There was a special enrichment program after the school day arts, sports that type of thing. The school then provided the bus rides to the kids normal bus stops, homes. I got to the bus stop but only one of my children was on the bus. My 5 year old was missing! No one knew where she was. All of the bus drivers swore up and down she was not on their route. It was starting to get dark and it was cold and raining. I was seaching the school. playground the police dept. was ready to place her on a national list of missing kids.

:001_huh: I wonder if the bus driver had kids? That is ridiculous!!! Thank goodness the little girl and her daddy were kind and got your dd back to you.

OP, So glad your friend's son was ok and was able to get into his house!

:svengo:I cannot even imagine!

About the OP, my DD (7) would have FREAKED out, she would probably be glued to my hip for the next year!

YOWZA!!! Now I was a latch-key kid (and hated it) but I cannot even imagine this happening to my children. Heck, my dd is almost 8 and internally freaks out if we're one of the last to pick her up after church services (say if we're chatting with someone).

When my daughter was still in public school, I was getting her off the bus one day and there were these two Kindergarteners (brother and sister) whose parents were ALWAYS there waiting for them.

But this one day, the parents weren't there.

The bus driver let them off the bus, without seeing their parents, and they began to walk home- alongside a VERY busy road.

The crossing guard said, "Oh I wonder where their parents are?" and watched them go.

I called after them asking about their parents but they looked at me like I had six heads and kept walking without answering me (I'd never talked to them before and they didn't really know who I was).

I ended up putting my kids in the car, turning around and following those kids up the block, stopping in their driveway, and asking if their parents were home. They weren't. They said their mom was at work and their dad was at the dentist- I guess he was running late getting back. They were locked out of their house. Which was alongside that busy, main road.

I just stayed there because I just couldn't leave two K'ers sitting outside by themselves with no idea how long their parents would be. It was really scary to me that the bus driver didn't even watch to see if young kids like that had someone meeting them and that the crossing guard didn't stop them and call the school or some such.

After a while, the father pulled up and I told him what had happened. He didn't seem too upset, more embarrassed I think... but yeah it's crazy how careless school/bus driver personnel can be with such young kids!

last year when my DD was in PS, I went to pick her up from the bus stop and her friend got off with her. I asked her friend if I had forgotten that she was to come over (I had no clue) and she said her mom said it was OK. So for a moment I thought maybe my DD had set up this playday and didnt ask me, but I thought it was weird that her mom didnt call to confirm...

anyway, turns out her mom didnt say it was OK, she DID NOT have a note, which is required to get on a bus that is not your regular route, and she was also not supposed to be let off at a stop that wasnt hers without a note.

I couldnt get ahold of her mom at home, I called the school and NO ONE would answer...there was no emergency number given on the recording. Luckily, my good friend is a teacher there and I got ahold of her on her cell phone. The girls mom was up at school freaking out because she didnt know where her DD was. She was frantic. Imagine if she went home with a kid whose parents werent home, or got off and something bad happenend to her?

I was MAD that the school let that happen. The teachers and aids are supposed to watch each and every kid get on their correct bus. If that was my DD I would have flipped out. I started picking up my DD after that day.

Edited by kwickimom
add a note