Menu

Reading Out Loud

I read out loud to my dc. Anyone who wants to listen can. (Doh, right?!) Right now I am reading "Heidi" to them.

So here are my questions:

Should my 2nd grader being reading silently to himself? He has Aspergers and ADD. He reads a little to himself but mostly likes to read out loud to me.

My 4th grader wants to read everything out loud to me. It is driving me batty. I want her to read to herself for the most part. How much should she be reading silently? How much should she be reading out loud to me?

My high schoolers:

Should I be having them read out loud? (Bedsides the stories they read to younger siblings?)

Thanks! :001_smile:

We use a lot of books-on-tape in the car (captive audience). We discuss whatever is being listened to - starting with the youngest with age-appropriate questions.

We've enjoyed the Ramona series, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, etc. The tricky part is choosing material that the youngest can understand and that the oldest isn't too bored with. Listening to so many books-on-tape has really helped the vocabulary of the youngest.

After dc are reading well, they read silently to themselves.

In my limited experience, I would say:

Yes for the 2nd grader, but don't push. Let him lead as his comfort levels indicate.

Tell your 4th grader to read to herself if it's bothering you! I HATE when people read to me, and I had to break DD8 of that habit. It's ok to tell her that it's great that she's enjoying it, but if you want to read it yourself, then you will.

I wouldn't force your high schoolers, but knowing how to read aloud in front of others is a good habit to cultivate, so I might ask them to take turns doing your "public" read-alouds with you.

For whatever that's worth... :D

In my limited experience, I would say:

Yes for the 2nd grader, but don't push. Let him lead as his comfort levels indicate.

Tell your 4th grader to read to herself if it's bothering you! I HATE when people read to me, and I had to break DD8 of that habit. It's ok to tell her that it's great that she's enjoying it, but if you want to read it yourself, then you will.

I wouldn't force your high schoolers, but knowing how to read aloud in front of others is a good habit to cultivate, so I might ask them to take turns doing your "public" read-alouds with you.

For whatever that's worth... :D

Awesome! Thank you! You basically reinforced what has been in the back of my mind but wanted someone else to tell me it was Ok! :lol:

I read out loud to my dc. Anyone who wants to listen can. (Doh, right?!) Right now I am reading "Heidi" to them.

So here are my questions:

Should my 2nd grader being reading silently to himself? He has Aspergers and ADD. He reads a little to himself but mostly likes to read out loud to me.

My 4th grader wants to read everything out loud to me. It is driving me batty. I want her to read to herself for the most part. How much should she be reading silently? How much should she be reading out loud to me?

My high schoolers:

Should I be having them read out loud? (Bedsides the stories they read to younger siblings?)

Thanks! :001_smile:

Here's what we do, although I think you should do whatever works best for you:

2nd grade dd is still a beginning reader, so yes, she reads out loud to me so I can help her.

5th grade dd is a bookworm - she constantly reads to herself in her free time. I have her read one book aloud to me during schooltime, the rest I read aloud to her.

8th grade ds - he reads one book to himself, one aloud to me, the rest I read aloud to him. He also reads books to himself in his free time.

10th grade ds, - same as 8th grade ds.